Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 AM

OT: any beekeepers here?

Always amazed at the wealth and breadth of knowledge here...do we have any paceliner beekeepers?

We just had our first hive installed last night on my family land. I know nothing about it, but am excited to learn!

Note: fields are wet right now so this trailer is just a temporary location.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Always amazed at the wealth and breadth of knowledge here...do we have any paceliner beekeepers?

We just had our first hive installed last night on my family land. I know nothing about it, but am excited to learn!

Note: fields are wet right now so this trailer is just a temporary location.

Took a beekeeping class in college years ago, so I just know a little about their habits. Bees are AMAZINNG and freakin' AWESOME! GL!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:17 AM

Did you buy your bee's online or in person? I have a buddy who works cargo side at the airport and he says you would not believe how many people buy bees online, or how many people buy bugs online in general.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:41 AM

I dont, but watched my neighbor trying to catch his hive that was swarming yesterday. I guess they split his hive to follow a new queen. Heard this weird sound by the garage and thought something was running in there, bees were on a branch right next to the garage. Called him to let him know and he came home on his break to try to catch them. He didnt get them the first try, not sure if he got them later or not. Apparently they are so full of honey when they swarm that they cant sting, like trying to do situps after a huge meal.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Don't have a hive but have a close relationship with someone that does. I've helped many times with the hive. Very interesting creatures.

I have a spoon full of honey a day for allergies.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Very interesting topic. I have no experience with Bee's but i have an overly curious 5 year old who is SUPER into bugs/insects right now and I've thought about getting one of these for the backyard.

I haven't done much research yet: do I buy bees? Do I buy a queen? Would it be dangerous to have around ?

Plus it'd be nice to go in backyard and get honey outta the tap

Old 05-28-2020, 12:18 PM

I took a course a few years ago so I'm a wannabee-keeper.
I really enjoyed it. Bit of a life altering experience so I go back and volunteer with the class.

I can pull out my class notes later today and post it up if you like.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Classics Fan

I recently learned of bee space. A specific range of space that allows bees to be raised in manmade hives. If the space is either too big or too small, the bees fill it with stuff (resin or extra wax comb).

So, that quirk of nature allows us to place frames within the range that the bees will not fill it in, and thus be able to operate the hive with removable frames.

https://bees4life.org/blog/bees-as-e...-the-bee-space
Old 05-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Very interesting topic. I have no experience with Bee's but i have an overly curious 5 year old who is SUPER into bugs/insects right now and I've thought about getting one of these for the backyard.

I haven't done much research yet: do I buy bees? Do I buy a queen? Would it be dangerous to have around ?

Plus it'd be nice to go in backyard and get honey outta the tap

You need to buy a package, that comes with a queen. When I had bees, the options were 3or 5 pounds packages. It's a wire box just full of bees, the queen in a separate cage. There is another kind of package called a nuc, that is more of a starter hive. I never got them, always got the packages, but I think they come with a couple frames already drawn out into comb, with some food stored in.

They aren't dangerous, as long as you site their hive properly and they have enough room. If they were in a place that was close to walking paths, that'd be a problem and they could get defensive if you walked within several feet of them on a regular basis. Besides that, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Even when doing a hive check, pulling frames, or feeding, if done carefully and properly, the bees kept for honey aren't very aggressive.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 PM

I had bees for a 3 or 4 years, but last year was the last time. The hives were at a job that I left.
It is super interesting! They are amazing animals. I always loved the way the different colors of pollen look.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
You need to buy a package, that comes with a queen. When I had bees, the options were 3or 5 pounds packages. It's a wire box just full of bees, the queen in a separate cage. There is another kind of package called a nuc, that is more of a starter hive. I never got them, always got the packages, but I think they come with a couple frames already drawn out into comb, with some food stored in.

They aren't dangerous, as long as you site their hive properly and they have enough room. If they were in a place that was close to walking paths, that'd be a problem and they could get defensive if you walked within several feet of them on a regular basis. Besides that, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Even when doing a hive check, pulling frames, or feeding, if done carefully and properly, the bees kept for honey aren't very aggressive.
Very cool! Thank you for sharing. Our backyard isn't big enough for something of that nature but maybe at Grandma and Grandpas!! Thanks again for info . Very neat.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Very cool! Thank you for sharing. Our backyard isn't big enough for something of that nature but maybe at Grandma and Grandpas!! Thanks again for info . Very neat.
You’d be surprised...my uncle keeps 150 hives in his area and on his property, about 6-8 hives at various times. He lives on a 40’ X 100’ lot.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM

I have 5.5 hives now. Five years ago, I started with one, and have kept going. It's addictive. The 1/2 hive is a swarm I collected and put in a nuc box of five frames. I pulled brood (capped and uncapped) out of other hives and now it's a functioning mini hive with queen. Looking for a home for it. I know of a community garden where I may install it.

The first two years I really struggled. I'd lose the hives over the winter, they weren't strong enough to make it through. Then I figured out how to keep them fed in the fall and give them food during the winter and they survived. The hives are super healthy now. I had one swarm six times this spring.

For those who don't know, "swarming" is when the collective hive takes toll of their overall health. If they're healthy and prosperous, they make new queen(s). With the new queen(s), the hive swarms and thousands leave with her to go find a new home. It's effectively how bees reproduce. This particular hive was super healthy since I didn't take any honey from it last fall. It produced six swarms and I was able to recapture only two (someone else got a third). Honey bees are docile to begin with, but contrary to false beliefs, when swarming, they are even more docile. The entire swarming process takes about fifteen minutes and is a miracle to observe. Swarming is a good thing, because it indicates they're healthy. However, it's a bad thing, since so many bees are lost when they leave with the queen(s) and honey production will fall. Next year I know what to do to prevent it.

Bees are supremely fascinating creatures. A big, healthy hive can produce 75-100lbs of honey. I live in a more urban part of Indianapolis. Urban beekeeping is becoming more and more popular due to the lack of monocultured crops that adversely affect colonies. I intentionally keep one hive in the front of the house. It's a conversation starter and has triggered many conversations with passers by about the necessity of bees and the perils they face. Some neighbors have also started keeping bees as a result.

I have backyard chickens too.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:40 PM

Not a beekeeper here, but have always been fascinated with bees. We have an active hive in the oak tree just above our driveway. It swarmed a few weeks back. I was in the garage and heard this massive buzzing sound. I stepped outside the garage to see an incredible number of bees flying around the entry and then taking off in mass. It was really cool.

At some point, when I move to the Isle of Arran, I'm going to live close to the coast so that I can fish and will also have a couple of bee hives, chickens, and a small garden. At least that's the crazy plan.

Texbike
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM

If you're located near Summerset, PA I recommend you get in touch with Darci at Summer Smiles Honey Farm. She is a professional bee keeper. She runs the hives at the Flight 91 Memorial. I know her personally...she's great.