Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 06:03 AM

Selling a bike on FB Marketplace

Just sold a mixte/woman's bike on FB Marketplace. It was a first for me--to list something that people wanted (other ads went up and got no response).

I got 10 or so messages almost immediately--and like Craigslist, there were a couple of annoying "Will you take $75" to which I gave my practised CL response: "Come and see the bike, then make me an offer."

Most annoying--the default response on FB (the little click button) has the prefilled message "Is this available?"--which makes it even more annoying than CL--you can't get mad at sheeple for doing what the overlords at FB thought was a good idea.

And there was one person (and probably a second) who knew what they wanted, didn't quibble on price--and what was new and unlike CL--was willing to Paypal (or Venmo or some others) a deposit right then and there. So that fact that you are an identifiable person, and can be checked out on FB--means that a stranger is willing to gamble a deposit--and that means you don't have to insist on the CL "First person here with the money gets the goods."

So she showed last night, paid the balance in cash--I showed her the quick release (and how to disconnect the cantis so the tire would clear for removal)--and helped load her up.

Not a bad experience at all...

Last edited by paredown; 05-28-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 AM

+1 I sold a bike there a couple years ago, no fees (vs ebay) and an overall good experience as well..
Old 05-28-2020, 06:13 AM

Bikes are in short supply right now so it’s a seller’s market. It’s a great time to sell for a certain price range.

I’ve had way better luck with FB than craigslist these days. I think it helps that people aren’t completely anonymous as on CL, so it facilitates more transactions. I’ve sold way more on FB in the last year than I ever have on CL for bike related things.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:18 AM

I tend to stay away from CL... a cop friend of mine tells me a lot of stolen bikes get moved there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

I have given up on CL. I do sell on FB and it has been pretty good with local sales and shipping frames, no complete bikes shipped. I did sell a complete steel Colnago locally for $1500 2 years ago. Nice guy, no haggling, cash in hand.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:20 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Never a problem with CL or FB Marketplace for selling bike stuff. Agree'd that FB makes it easier to communicate vs. the craigslist email chain. Easier to send pictures and chat on the fly as well. Payment options are pretty slick too, although I have sold many items on craigslist where the buyer paid in Venmo or Paypal instead of the ole' Cash Only motto.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:41 AM

Good timing on this post

I just used Facebook for the first time to sell my wife's Terry-style Fuji bike yesterday. It was an easy and smooth transaction. It was a "local pickup only" sale, so I didn't have to hassle with shipping the whole bike.

I got many responses, and there were a couple of people who were willing to pay over my asking price (and a couple of low bidders). If the sale was an auction, who knows how high it would have bid to? What actually happened was I sold the bike to the first person who responded for my full asking price in cash. I was able to check out his FB profile, and he seemed legit and was actually a very nice guy who grew up in our neighborhood.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Thanks

I’ll check it out
Old 05-28-2020, 11:12 AM

Alright.

I have a bunch of bikes to sell and I will give FB Marketplace a go this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 PM

I have three Serotta for sale on FB - in the Serotta Page and another...I'd post them here, but even though I've been a member for years, met in-person several of the mods, I'm still not kosher (yet) to use the classifieds.

I get it, rules are rules.... sigh.

Anyway, I've bought (and sold) bikes and better, i.e. $100+, equipment off of FB and CL. You just have to be savy, as well as patient.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 PM

An advantage of FB Marketplace is the ability to look at a person’s FB profile. Sometime’s they’re scary enough I don’t want to get involved with them.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 PM

I had very good luck buying a bike this week on FB.

First time ever in my life I purchased a used bike from someone not in the bike industry. I liked the idea of being able to see some basic info about the seller etc. One thing I found is that people probably have bikes listed in multiple places and fail to mark a bike SOLD so searching can be a bit hit or miss. Some nice bikes on there if you spend the time. I actually found the bike I purchased within 40 min of it being posted. Seller was more than helpful. Worked part time in a shop and ended up taking it there to ask the service manager a couple questions for me.

I'm a fan for what it's worth.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpmrntz View Post
I have three Serotta for sale on FB - in the Serotta Page and another...I'd post them here, but even though I've been a member for years, met in-person several of the mods, I'm still not kosher (yet) to use the classifieds.

I get it, rules are rules.... sigh.

Anyway, I've bought (and sold) bikes and better, i.e. $100+, equipment off of FB and CL. You just have to be savy, as well as patient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit51 View Post
An advantage of FB Marketplace is the ability to look at a person’s FB profile. Sometime’s they’re scary enough I don’t want to get involved with them.
Totally agree
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM

definitely like the fact that it's user account based. I tend to get a lot of the default messages: "Is this still available?"
I respond with: "Yes it is. I am free ____ if you'd like to check it out."
*no response*
I follow up: "hey there, were you interested in the item orrrr...????"
They respond with: "No"

Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM

I listed an Isla kids bike and I think it is sold. People are getting pretty aggressive with kids bikes... Mine was listed at $250 shipped and I had a buyer within a day and I just need to dig it out of storage to send him updated pictures.

Yes, great to see a profile and the person.. although scams do happen, less likely on FB.