Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
FYI, the animal that injures the most people in Yellowstone every year is the bison.
Despite verbal warnings from park staff upon entry, pamphlets they hand out telling you to stay away from the Bison with cartoons depicting someone getting launched because they got too close, people still try to approach them to get a photo or selfie.

Nature does what it does...despite what people think (or don't).

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bison.jpg (53.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Lots of black bear activity up here in my neck of the woods, but luckily they tend to run away if they hear or see you. I had never seen one in the wild until I moved up this way. Now I see a bunch of them every year although a lot of the time I believe I am seeing the same few.

I was surprised at how large an adult male can be when I saw my first of the year about a month and a half ago. I certainly wouldn’t want to surprise one in the woods while riding especially after seeing that one! I ride with a bell while out in the woods and make sure to give it a ding when coming up on corners or areas with low visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 07:38 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
FYI, the animal that injures the most people in Yellowstone every year is the bison.
FYI, that one was taken inside the car, using a zoom lens so I was much further away.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:10 AM

Living in Bozeman, and being so close to Yellowstone, means that the daily stupidity of Yellowstone is on the daily news every day....people trying to pet elk, putting baby mule deer in their car because they looked cold (no really), getting right in the face of angry snorting bison to take a selfie, or seeing how close one can get to grizzly bears....or 100 other things that would make your head spin.

After a few years one starts to adopt the 'Darwin will take care of this' point of view and the sympathy shifts from the people to the innocent animals.

Of course the mountain biker who got hurt recently wasn't a stupid tourist who thought that the animals were all tame but instead he was in the wrong place at the wrong time in grizzly country.

I MTB in high country a lot right here in the Bozeman area and we are fortunate that we 'only' have black bear here. It's the cougars and moose that will kill you here with moose being the most dangerous thing in the woods.

dave
Old 05-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Man allI can see is the scene from the movie The Revenant with Leo. That science was about as authentic as you might expect, pretty vivid.

I remember when I was in college in a special outdoors program, they said if we ever hiked in bear country to carry a shot gun. First shell is rock salt, second shell is buck shot and third shell is a slug.

Usually the noise and sting of rock salt does the trick, would hate to make it to the slug point.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 PM

Regarding Yellowstone, people are just going to be stupid. After the park opened this year, it took just two days for someone to get hurt by wildlife. A woman got too close to a bison and he wasn't happy about it.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Regarding Yellowstone, people are just going to be stupid. After the park opened this year, it took just two days for someone to get hurt by wildlife. A woman got too close to a bison and he wasn't happy about it.
Yellowstone is Darwin's playground... for both humans and non-humans. In most cases, interactions favor the non-humans. I like the precedent set with the mountain biker that was the subject of this thread. No need to kill the bear just for being a bear, within bear territory.

Greg