Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Cyclist mauled by Grizzly Bear

Here's the link: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...a5baca67a.html
Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Classics Fan

Damn. That situation sounds terrible for all involved. Guy will be probably carry the emotional trauma with him for a long time, even if the physical wounds heal. Bear will likely be hunted down and killed.

It says it was a unexpected encounter. Not sure what the local recommendations are, as far as bear bells or other preventative measures. If you ride in that region, definitely make sure you're doing all you can.

We have a local bear that is getting pretty dangerous, lost the fear of humans. It was scheduled for termination by the state, but some of the citizens fought it and got the state to acquiesce... it was captured and relocated.

And within a year, found its way back. Hey, if I were a bear I'd like dunkin donuts dumpsters and backyard bird feeders too!

It will probably have to kill or injure someone before they destroy it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
We have a local bear that is getting pretty dangerous, lost the fear of humans. It was scheduled for termination by the state, but some of the citizens fought it and got the state to acquiesce... it was captured and relocated.
I see you're in Grantham. Is that the bear in Hanover I read about?

We were in Victor ID for about a week, just over Teton Pass from Jackson WY. I stopped in a local shop asking about rides and they insisted that I get bear spray. They weren't kidding around, you could see it in their eyes. So, I go for a ride (with my new bear spray) on some dirt roads off the beaten path, and every rock looked like a bear. It's an unnerving way to ride.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:18 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
It's an unnerving way to ride.
Time to practice your finish-line sprints... or maybe not. Happy ending for all on this one:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...-reporting-map
Old 05-27-2020, 10:37 PM

Practice your finish line sprints indeed. The top speed of a Grizzly Bear is between 30 and 35 MPH.

Source: https://cahnrs.wsu.edu/blog/2016/06/...t-run-so-fast/
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The run-in happened not far off Ousel Falls Road — maybe 300 or 400 yards up the trail at a sharp turn, Frey said. The trail was closed after the incident.

He added that the bear wasn’t showing any predatory behavior and that it appears to be a surprise encounter.
No 'predatory behavior', of a predator in the bear's backyard..The bear is being a bear..and will probably be killed because of this..shame.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 AM
ZhugeLiang

This brought back some memories,..we were vacationing at Yellowstone back in 2011 and we saw a bear on the road, I got out of the car to "pursue" while people inside the car were yelling at me to get the fcuk back inside! yeah I know...I was dumb...real dumb.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM

Hope that guy is okay.

It's been a long time since I've hung out in bear country. It's a bit electric at times to say the least.

Anybody happen to see this posted on CNN?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...-vstop-bdk.cnn

WTH is going on here?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:22 AM
Administrator

A lot of times the animals use trails like hi-ways through the forest. The article mentioned it happened near a sharp bend in the trail, likely chance encounter at the worst spot possible. Rider likely rounded the corner and either came face to face or rode up on the back of the bear. Either way it likely scared the carp out of both of them and the bear reacted to being startled like bears sometimes do.

Hope the rider has a speedy and uneventful recovery. Hope the bear goes into the backcountry and is able stay away from humans.

W.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Lord that would be terrifying. I have a standing argument with a group of running and cycling buddies about what animal you'd rather cross paths with during a workout.

Mountain Lion vs. Bear
I've always picked the bear, as the mountain lion video's I've seen show pure agility and you'd have no chance to escape if it came down to it. But after reading this, I don't want to cross paths with either!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM

This is local to me and on every news broadcast.

The bear is not being pursued and will not be killed. It was determined that the rider surprised the bear coming around a blind turn and he bear defended itself as it should.

It sounds like the rider is going to make it but he will have scars that remind him of that day for the rest of his life. He's lucky to be alive.

dave
Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Lord that would be terrifying. I have a standing argument with a group of running and cycling buddies about what animal you'd rather cross paths with during a workout.

Mountain Lion vs. Bear
I've always picked the bear, as the mountain lion video's I've seen show pure agility and you'd have no chance to escape if it came down to it. But after reading this, I don't want to cross paths with either!
There was an incident not to far from me two years ago where two mtb'ers encounterd a mountainlion on the trail. It approached them and they tried to scare it off. It wasn't leaving and they even used their bikes to try and discourge it. One of the riders then tried bolting from the scene running off leaving the other rider. The mountain lion took off after him and eventually the other rider made it out to get help. The guy who took off running, his body was eventually found in the mountain lion's den.

That's a tough one but if I had to choose I would probably say bear. Many encounters have shown if you can be still and play dead there is a chance they will leave you alone. Not always but mountain lion/Cougers don't really play that game.

Btw, I often see these on the trails that I ride and hike...Not likely to encounter Grizzlies, but Black Bears are a real possibility. I think I'll start carrying bear spray just in case.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear.jpg (92.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
I see you're in Grantham. Is that the bear in Hanover I read about?
Yes, Mink, the bear of Hanover.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-06-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM

That rider is really lucky to be alive and apparently with his body intact.

ps: that italian brown bear looks a lot bigger than any brown bear ive ever seen here in the US.