Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 PM

This is an interesting bike. I took one of the pre lefty models for a quick spin and didn't really find it that appealing. It had pedal bob while climbing and that was a deal breaker for me. I am heavy and need as much efficiency as I can get pedaling up hills. I am sure that it would be great for the right person, but even with the lefty it isn't for me.

I owned a Slate briefly and it was a fun bike, but the lefty Oliver that it came equipped with sent me over the bars at low speed on my second or third ride and I sold it after that. It was an interesting design and I can see where it would be suitable for the right rider, but again it just wasn't for me. I appreciate a break from the norm and Cannondale definitely does that in spades.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
This is an interesting bike. I took one of the pre lefty models for a quick spin and didn't really find it that appealing. It had pedal bob while climbing and that was a deal breaker for me. I am heavy and need as much efficiency as I can get pedaling up hills. I am sure that it would be great for the right person, but even with the lefty it isn't for me.

I owned a Slate briefly and it was a fun bike, but the lefty Oliver that it came equipped with sent me over the bars at low speed on my second or third ride and I sold it after that. It was an interesting design and I can see where it would be suitable for the right rider, but again it just wasn't for me. I appreciate a break from the norm and Cannondale definitely does that in spades.
I've seen you post that before. How did it ditch you?

As to the fork cost posted above, yeah, its a shame. My slate came ridgid, and the cost of a lefty drove me to a pbr, which actually is ok if you get the pressure right. The negative is it gives the bike chamois hagar type trail...
Old 05-28-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I've seen you post that before. How did it ditch you?

As to the fork cost posted above, yeah, its a shame. My slate came ridgid, and the cost of a lefty drove me to a pbr, which actually is ok if you get the pressure right. The negative is it gives the bike chamois hagar type trail...

I was just riding along and not paying much attention when the front tire made contact with a higher part of the trail and when I tried to correct it I went over the bars. It was at very low speed, but just turned me off to the bike after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 AM

Lefty Over
Old 05-28-2020, 06:37 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I was just riding along and not paying much attention when the front tire made contact with a higher part of the trail and when I tried to correct it I went over the bars. It was at very low speed, but just turned me off to the bike after that.

I think if I hit on my first ride with any bike, that would turn me off of that bike forever too. bad karma bike. sold....
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think if I hit on my first ride with any bike, that would turn me off of that bike forever too. bad karma bike. sold....

Yup! It just wasn’t meant to be.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post

I think the Lefty equipped Topstone is more like this bike than the Slate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 05-28-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
I would lean more towards this lefty, looks great to me. Those Lauf forks look very weird, As someone though, who has never ridden a Lauf or lefty I have to plead ignorance in their functionality/durability.
Good to see that the Oliver got the same slimming single crown treatment as the recent lefty mtb fork. Hopefully Cdale makes these new Olivers available aftermarket since they are now compatible with a conventional headtube situation.

The Lauf fork is one of those things that looks better the more you realize how well it works and how brilliantly simple it is. I love mine.

Instagram
Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 PM

My buddy is a total bike nerd and grabs new bikes all the time. He bought a Slate on crazy clearout through his shop and says that not matter how dumb they look, theyre a total riot to ride and very well mannered.

I think this Topstone would have similar manners. Not my bag, but I would love to take a rip on it.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Good to see that the Oliver got the same slimming single crown treatment as the recent lefty mtb fork. Hopefully Cdale makes these new Olivers available aftermarket since they are now compatible with a conventional headtube situation.

The Lauf fork is one of those things that looks better the more you realize how well it works and how brilliantly simple it is. I love mine.
oh they are but I think for now they only selling the carbon lefty, for $1500 lol
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM

I have never had a good feeling about single blade forks, going back to the Kastan BMX bikes from by youth. I guess I don't care that mush about weight, and I just don't get any other reason for it. My brain just screams UNSTABLE
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziekiel View Post
I have never had a good feeling about single blade forks, going back to the Kastan BMX bikes from by youth. I guess I don't care that mush about weight, and I just don't get any other reason for it. My brain just screams UNSTABLE
yeah, the Kastan's were trouble for sure.. but keep in mind your car is basically 2 lefty's and 2 righty's as far as how the wheels are held on.. also many motor bikes have single sided rear swingarms..

it does look weird, I'm guessing with my 2.1" thunder burts on my gravel bike I can get 30mm of travel by lowering pressure a bit!
Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 PM

As mentioned above the major problem with this bike and the fork especially is the custom standard.

If the standard was more widely adopted and available it would be easier, but it's hard to realize that all your wheels aren't gonna work. And you're rarely going to find a used wheelset that's gonna work.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:07 PM

Lived thru my share of proprietary Cannondale stuff over the years, I was done with the lefty at least 15 years ago. Same with CODA disc brakes

Migration of bearings in the fork, proprietary front and rear wheels and last...but not least... who's going to service that fork? I'm over it

Interesting bike, though
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM

While I appreciate the thought, it seems like a lot of complication for 30mm of travel. My Redshift suspension stem gives me 20mm upfront, and a flexible seatpost like a Syntace P6 probably deflects that much as well (though I will concede that damped suspension is better than undamped).

There is also the whole BB30a thing that offsets the entire drivetrain by 6mm. Forget about swapping wheels easily.