Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 PM

The key with the 9 was to have the good fork option. "Slice" was the name, right?

This thread has me wanting to go out and find a 54 CAAD 9 with black/raw alu color combo....

I had a BSA adaptor in my BB and ran Shimano with no problemo. In fact a forum member bought my whole bike, can't remember who though!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:53 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Time's are nice and all, but man that CAAD looked great!
I'm like everyone else, thinking hard about grabbing an old Cdale! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
It's only been two weeks since I sold my CAAD7 and this thread is already making me miss it. Its spot in the garage has been taken by a Time VXS. I only have one 25 mile ride on the VXS so far and still have a bit of tweaking to do, but the first impression is that it's not a significant improvement over the CAAD.

Texbike
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 PM

I had 3,5 and 7
5 was my favorite
Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 PM

I don't own a CAAD nor do I care for aluminum, but after reading all the passionate responses I have developed a great respect for the CAAD line and would some day like to try one.

Whether I like it or not would not matter; the respect will remain.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:06 PM

The Optimo frames have a threaded bb external cable routing and some bright colors yellow and acid green that i really like. Does anybody know if they give up much to the Caad number frames? Id prefer the threaded bb.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM

The original frame was most influential. Brought "light" bikes to the masses and was a terror on the crit. circuit. Know a guy who put 150k on one before finally giving way.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
As my brother always said "Cannondale was the first to produce perfect Alu bike and they've only gotten better since." The name Cannondale is almost synonymous with Alu atmo
I know nothing about aluminum. Are the first Cannondales considered superior to Klein (esp pre-Trek) or Principia? I thought both those brands (as well as Cannondale) also had stellar reputations in aluminum? Who was first?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
I know nothing about aluminum. Are the first Cannondales considered superior to Klein (esp pre-Trek) or Principia? I thought both those brands (as well as Cannondale) also had stellar reputations in aluminum? Who was first?
I had a first gen criterium (I should post a picture of it) and while it was legit, I don’t really think it was better than a good steel frame to be totally honest. People act like Klein’s were better but I think they were made later.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
So my brother raced back in the nineties and was a Cat1 while in college. I remember going over to this apartment and everyone was geeking out about a Klein Quantum Race he had just gotten. I was more of beer swilling frat guy who could've cared less. But I do remember that bike and thinking man it looked fast. It looked identical to this:

Years later after I had gotten into cycling he told me that Klein was great at the time but didn't go much further after Trek bought them (more focus on Carbon/Lance) and that Cannondale just kept innovating. They started early with Aluminum and stuck with it.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I had a first gen criterium (I should post a picture of it) and while it was legit, I don’t really think it was better than a good steel frame to be totally honest. People act like Klein’s were better but I think they were made later.
Kleins later than Cannondales you mean? Was it all pr? Kleins sure were lusted after, I remember that, and they sure seemed very legitimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
So my brother raced back in the nineties and was a Cat1 while in college. I remember going over to this apartment and everyone was geeking out about a Klein Quantum Race he had just gotten. I was more of beer swilling frat guy who could've cared less. But I do remember that bike and thinking man it looked fast. It looked identical to this:

Years later after I had gotten into cycling he told me that Klein was great at the time but didn't go much further after Trek bought them (more focus on Carbon/Lance) and that Cannondale just kept innovating. They started early with Aluminum and stuck with it.
Beautiful.
Yes, that's why I was wondering about the pre-Trek Kleins. I remember seeing their colors...amazing, really beautiful in real life. And I liked that font.

I always thought Principias really looked fantastic too, just so utilitarian, well-proportioned, and precise.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
The Optimo frames have a threaded bb external cable routing and some bright colors yellow and acid green that i really like. Does anybody know if they give up much to the Caad number frames? Id prefer the threaded bb.
Cannondale only used the “Optimo” name, without a CAAD designation, for the 2004 model year. In 2003, the top road frame was the CAAD7 Optimo. In 2005, the top aluminum road frame was the CAAD8. Threaded bottom bracket shells were available on the original, US-manufactured CAAD8 frames (2010 and earlier) and the first three model years (2007-2009) of the CAAD9. The final year of the CAAD9, all were BB30. While I prefer threaded bottom brackets, my BB30 CAAD9 and CAAD10 have been trouble (and creak...) free. Both use angular contact bearings, Wheels Manufacturing Delrin adapters, and Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets.

Greg
Old 05-26-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Cannondale only used the “Optimo” name, without a CAAD designation, for the 2004 model year. In 2003, the top road frame was the CAAD7 Optimo. In 2005, the top aluminum road frame was the CAAD8. Threaded bottom bracket shells were available on the original, US-manufactured CAAD8 frames (2010 and earlier) and the first three model years (2007-2009) of the CAAD9. The final year of the CAAD9, all were BB30. While I prefer threaded bottom brackets, my BB30 CAAD9 and CAAD10 have been trouble (and creak...) free. Both use angular contact bearings, Wheels Manufacturing Delrin adapters, and Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets.

Greg
The Optimo frames are currently offered and have been since at least 2017.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
The Optimo frames are currently offered and have been since at least 2017.
I was referring to the original, US-made CAAD Optimo frames in my previous post. Cannondale has used the Optimo name for marketing purposes off and on over the years. For example, 2009 CAAD9 frames were called “CAAD9 Optimo.” In 2010, they were called “CAAD9 BB30.” You are correct that the Optimo name returned in 2017 on a lower priced line of road bikes.

Greg
Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 PM

here is a nice one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303292785818?ul_noapp=truei wanted to buy it real bad but after researching more it is actually a 56, so it's too big for me. these older ones are pretty harsh i preferred my caad10 the most but it's pretty generic looking. the 10 rode great and i recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by cinema; 05-26-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:13 AM

8 is great and in this color please. Fancy Slice fork too...
Photo from the best blog ever, Belgium Knee Warmers. Tony’s personal bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7577F3B2-D6AC-4489-A2D1-3F1199B98932.jpg (108.7 KB, 324 views)

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad