Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timto View Post
I found the following combo to lead to numb nuts not matter what...

Too high seat, too far forward saddle and downward tilt and too much drop.

I've lowered seat,moved it back and with a slight upward tilt. I now find I'm much LESS princess and pea regarding saddles and can ride comfortably on a variety. Incidentally the seat back and more reach means i'm more balanced, and not pitched forward...and with a slight upward tilt to the saddle I'm not sliding forward all the time.

Try goofing around with what you have too is my ultimate point...

Tim
Thanks for this, not to say numbness isn't an issue, but it's not a constant in my riding, it just happens from time to time and requires some minor repositions throughout a ride. It would be great to find a saddle that magically made everything work, but I think making adjustments might be the key to success for me. Since I leveled out my saddles I have noticed a difference in pressure in a good way, haven't done enough riding in the last two days to confirm a fix. I have considered bar drop, and think that too might play a part in my discomfort. Of course this all goes to what other people have said regarding fit. I think I'm on the path now to more success.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rubbing issues are not generally a result from sit bone width, but from thigh girth, no?
Would generally agree, but I was a skinny 140lbs when I tried the brooks and got the saddle rub. For whatever reason, I pedal a fairly narrow circle, so that's an issue, too. Have had to go with smaller bottles on my seat tube to avoid knocking them with my knees.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
Would generally agree, but I was a skinny 140lbs when I tried the brooks and got the saddle rub. For whatever reason, I pedal a fairly narrow circle, so that's an issue, too. Have had to go with smaller bottles on my seat tube to avoid knocking them with my knees.
My legs rub my bottle too when I have one on the seat tube
Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
My legs rub my bottle too when I have one on the seat tube
I'm not a professional fitter, but if your legs hit your bottles/cages, then maybe you need some shoe shims as well? Having your legs bow inwards (assumption) can't be good for your knees.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
I'm not a professional fitter, but if your legs hit your bottles/cages, then maybe you need some shoe shims as well? Having your legs bow inwards (assumption) can't be good for your knees.
Shoe shims might be a good idea, it's not a constant rubbing, but it happens here and there. My legs don't bow inward and haven't had any knee troubles, so I don't think the fit was wrong in that area.

So far having shifted my seat slightly nose down I have noticed a lot of improvement comfort wise. It does seem that I have a little more weight now on my arms than before, so I need to remedy that situation now.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM

I hit the seat tube bottle sometimes too, its mounted too high on my current frame.

Must be the monster calves.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Gladys Bikes

There's a local bike shop in my area that has an awesome "saddle library" program. You pay $25 to get a library card, which lets you check out any number of their saddles for a week at a time. You can keep trying out new ones until you find the right fit. They'll then apply the $25 towards the purchase of it.

It's a can't lose deal (except for on-line shops that offer zero customer service and undercut local businesses).
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
There's a local bike shop in my area that has an awesome "saddle library" program. You pay $25 to get a library card, which lets you check out any number of their saddles for a week at a time. You can keep trying out new ones until you find the right fit. They'll then apply the $25 towards the purchase of it.

It's a can't lose deal (except for on-line shops that offer zero customer service and undercut local businesses).
Man I wish I had something similar here to that
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

I would rule out that the chamois' in your shorts haven't worn out and that your saddle hasn't shifted fore/aft or up/down. If you're satisfied re your shorts and saddle, I'd try Performance re saddles:

"We stand behind every product we sell. If an item does not meet your expectations, simply return it. We guarantee your money back for a full year. After one year, we’ll provide an exchange, repair, or store credit to ensure you have the product that meets your needs. If you’ve lost your receipt, we’ll provide a store credit at our current price."

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...1_-1_Guarantee
Old 07-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Well I have focussed my saddle efforts on one bike, and have found the issue. After playing with fore aft positioning for a while I recently lowered my saddle 4mm and ta da, no more numbness. Now to take this new seat height to my other bikes, and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.