Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM

I've got at least 12,000 miles on a Brooks Swift. It was comfortable from day one. I have the titanium rails - I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 AM

If fit is not the issue, a larger cut out and/or a wider saddle might help. I have had good results with the Selle Italia Super Flow (available in 2 widths), SMP and the Selle San Marco Mantra-the one with carbon rails has a slightly denser cushion which I prefer.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mac View Post
I've got at least 12,000 miles on a Brooks Swift. It was comfortable from day one. I have the titanium rails - I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
YMMV-FIFY

I tried Brooks 3 times and could not get them to be comfy ever. They were pretty tho but not for me bum..at least they sold in like 15 minutes.

The gent has to
-get a good anatomic bike fit
-get hooked up with a saddle test ride program

What works for one may or not work for another.

After a recent bout with a saddle sore(first one in 25 years), I tried a bunch of SSM, Fizik and various models of SMP..after fit changes and a test ride routine..

settled on SMP Glider, works great but

YMMV...
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Rido Rlt Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Try Weber bicycles in Erie Pa. I think they are the only US outlet. I was ready
to give up cycling until I tried these saddles!
Magoo, thanks for the lead on a Rido saddle, I'll give Weber Bicycles a call. I haven't ridden any other saddle like the Rido, I wonder if there are any similar designs available, but I'm fine tracking down another Rido.

quattro
Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Magoo, thanks for the lead on a Rido saddle, I'll give Weber Bicycles a call. I haven't ridden any other saddle like the Rido, I wonder if there are any similar designs available, but I'm fine tracking down another Rido.

quattro
Quattro, what do you like so much about the saddle? Was there a particular problem or discomfort it solves for you? Thanks and glad you found a keeper!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM

On a whim last fall I threw a Brooks C17 on my SS 29er. Oh my lord, it was fabulous! I've been a long time Regal user. The support and damping quality of the C17 is outstanding. I've attached one to my road machine, and while still good, it is a bit too wide when in the drops. I think the soon to be released C15 may be the one that punts the Regals for good.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 AM

I consider myself lucky. The first time I hopped on a serious road bike 30 some years ago it had a flite saddle on it, been on them ever since. I had a little scare when they quit making the old style flite but with the help of eBay I now have enough to last the rest of my life......even if I put on a new one every year :-)

Mike
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Rido Rlt Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Quattro, what do you like so much about the saddle? Was there a particular problem or discomfort it solves for you? Thanks and glad you found a keeper!
James, I'm always looking for more comfort from a saddle. I have ridden many saddles over the years. I have always ridden a wide saddle, 153 or 155, because I thought that's was the correct width for my sit bones but I was never totally comfortable, too much saddle against the inner of my thighs, not enough rear support. The Rido RLt is 138 wide and no extra material on the inner of my thighs, it has firm two raised areas in the rear where your sit bones sit, it's like you are suspended with all of your weight only on your sit bones, so there is no pressure on any other area to cause numbness or discomfort. It takes a few rides to get used to because it is firm, but it works surprisingly well at keeping all the pressure on your sit bones, you don't melt into the saddle and get discomfort or pressure in other areas of your rear end. At least that's how it works for me. When I ride in the drops there is no contact with any area to cause the normal discomfort I would experience riding at that angle, with other saddles in the drops I am usually pushing against the nose of the saddle, with the Rido because your sit bones are suspended on the two bumps you don't make contact with the nose of the saddle. I mounted it level, so far I'm really enjoying it, so if you have any issues with discomfort or numbness I'd say give one a try. Hope this helps, check out the Rido web site, I think it probably explains how it works better that I could. Let me know if you would like to get together to give it a try, I'll be riding out Concord way over the next several weeks I'm sure.
Regards,
quattro
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Rido Rlt Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post

quattro
Just checked out the Weber Bicycles web site, and they are the sole US distributor for Rido Saddles, they sell the Rido RLt for $109, quite reasonable for a saddle of it's quality. Here is the link to their site:
http://www.weberbicycle.com/-order-and-checkout.html
Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 AM

for those of you who would like to try brooks but dont like to idea of having to resell it and take a hit if it doesnt work out, buy from here.

"6 Month UNCONDITIONAL SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - new BROOKS and BERTHOUD saddles. Return your new saddle at any time within six-months of the ship date for a full refund of the price of the saddle. Shipping will not be refunded unless there is a manufacturing defect that would make the return a factory warranty issue."

that should be ample enough time to figure out if it works or not, no?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM

If you've got narrow sitbones like me, I can't imagine a brooks working at all. THe saddle just felt terrible no matter how I adjusted it. The SMP evolution has been a saddle revelation. Just thaaat much better than an SLR and flite, for me. The center cutout in the SMP is quite generous and has worked well, so far.

As much as it is personal preference, I think you're best off skipping the brooks experiment if you've got narrow hips. The saddles are just too wide, generally. THe worst part of the brooks saddle experiment for me was that my thighs would rub the flaps (narrow hips, I guess).
Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
As much as it is personal preference, I think you're best off skipping the brooks experiment if you've got narrow hips. The saddles are just too wide, generally. THe worst part of the brooks saddle experiment for me was that my thighs would rub the flaps (narrow hips, I guess).
you sound like me;smp dynamic was a godsend, brooks was a literal pain in my as. i guess wearing the paint off the sides of the anodized 30.9 seatpost that came with my giant is an indicator. i ride 27.2 on everything else.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Rubbing issues are not generally a result from sit bone width, but from thigh girth, no?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Thigh girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rubbing issues are not generally a result from sit bone width, but from thigh girth, no?
Agreed,rubbing issues are not related to sit bone width, but it's definitely not always related to thigh girth because I do not have that problem, it just seems that some saddles have a nose that is to wide towards it rear where it meets the sitting area and/or the rear section you sit on is also to wide on the sides and to much material such that it rubs on the inner thigh. There are so many different shaped saddles and reading the posts above everyone's individual body shape tolerates different saddle shapes.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM

I found the following combo to lead to numb nuts not matter what...

Too high seat, too far forward saddle and downward tilt and too much drop.

I've lowered seat,moved it back and with a slight upward tilt. I now find I'm much LESS princess and pea regarding saddles and can ride comfortably on a variety. Incidentally the seat back and more reach means i'm more balanced, and not pitched forward...and with a slight upward tilt to the saddle I'm not sliding forward all the time.

Try goofing around with what you have too is my ultimate point...

Tim