Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Saddles: The never ending quest

I apologize if this should be in the fit section.

So after numerous saddles and many years of riding, I can't find that perfect match. I'm sure this is a common problem among riders. I am good for the first 20 or so miles, but after that there is the usual numbness that can be dealt with okay enough with some shifting and standing. I would love to find that right seat that was great from mile 1 to 100. I have ridden san marco aspides, selle italia flites (vintage and reproductions) selle italia SLI's, fizik arione's, and maybe a few less known models. I would say my favorite of these are the SLI and the vintage flites. They have been the most tolerable on long rides, the SLI maybe a little better than the flite. I have really narrow sit bones, close to the 100mm mark, and am 130lbs. I think skinnier seats work better for me. I was considering trying an slr with a cutout, but thought I'd take some ideas before dropping the money.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Want to try an SLK?? It looks similar to an slr dimensionally, but it feels narrower under me.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 AM

I like the Specialized Romin Expert or the Romin Evo Pro as well.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:57 AM

I would not suggest a new saddle but a different fit. Proper fit will open up saddle options, and with feeling at 20 miles it may be worth a shot to take a look at that.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:31 AM

Another thing to consider is to try a slightly wider saddle than you have been using. Counter intuitive, but it may work.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 AM

They can look a little goofy on modern looking bikes, but I really like brooks. For me the b17 is the only saddle that doesn't start hurting, ever. Other ones have started causing me real pain around mile 50. It may be worth a try. I just put one on my fiancé's colnago clx 3.0, and it looks silly but she loves it and she weighs like 120. And they are easy to resell if decide you don't like it.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 AM

Try Specialized

If you have a Specialized dealer near you, they usually have demos to try.

I would highly recommend. As you probably know, Specialized saddles come in different widths. I don't know why more companies don't do this! It sort of like offering pants in only 1 waist size.

Anyway, I went to a wider width saddle (Romin) than I had ever tried and it solved my issues.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
I apologize if this should be in the fit section.

So after numerous saddles and many years of riding, I can't find that perfect match. I'm sure this is a common problem among riders. I am good for the first 20 or so miles, but after that there is the usual numbness that can be dealt with okay enough with some shifting and standing. I would love to find that right seat that was great from mile 1 to 100. I have ridden san marco aspides, selle italia flites (vintage and reproductions) selle italia SLI's, fizik arione's, and maybe a few less known models. I would say my favorite of these are the SLI and the vintage flites. They have been the most tolerable on long rides, the SLI maybe a little better than the flite. I have really narrow sit bones, close to the 100mm mark, and am 130lbs. I think skinnier seats work better for me. I was considering trying an slr with a cutout, but thought I'd take some ideas before dropping the money.
Find a shop that does great anatomic bike fits AND has a SMP test ride program..

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/...se-your-saddle
Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Numbness after 20miles sounds more like a fit problem than a saddle problem.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM

I have never spent the money on a professional fitting, however I have received much insight through various aficionados. One problem I know I have is I slide forward on the nose of my saddle. My position is otherwise very low and stretched, but I'm sure riding on the nose causes some issues.

I would love to try out that slk, but I like the idea of maybe a wider saddle. Sadly I don't live near any good shops, because some test rides are in order here.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Engine problems

Ford or Chevy? Charmin or Kleenex? Good luck in your search...

As for me, Alliante for road, Gobi for mtb seems to work well.

Had a bud who pronounced a Specialized saddle to be the Holy Grail, then became so disgusted with Spec over a warranty issue that he divested himself of all things Spec (even water bottles) in his world. I see him with a different saddle every two weeks, keep telling him to just use the Spec saddle and Sharpie out the "S" logo. Alas, his principles won't allow it, though his sit parts are paying the price for his lofty principles...

How's that for a Saturday morning random thought ramble?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
I have never spent the money on a professional fitting, however I have received much insight through various aficionados. One problem I know I have is I slide forward on the nose of my saddle. My position is otherwise very low and stretched, but I'm sure riding on the nose causes some issues.

I would love to try out that slk, but I like the idea of maybe a wider saddle. Sadly I don't live near any good shops, because some test rides are in order here.
Regardless of what you think about REI..in Stockton, with SMP..bet they have a test ride program

http://www.rei.com/stores/stockton.h...tm_content=119
Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 AM
It An't Me Babe

Numbness is a very extreme condition and should not be ignored or accepted as a price to pay in cycling. The saddle may contribute to your problem and is also, quite confoundedly, both the starting problem and the painful end point in an incorrect or faulty chain of events in your fit & position.

Or you could just be trying to dial in your saddle using too large of an adjustment in setback or angle - when you are close to getting to your balance point, the adjustments are in small 1mm or 2mm increments and even less than that for tilt.

Sitting on the nose of the saddle is never a good idea. Cyling imagery from the legends of "being on the rivet" is just bad positioning, looking all curled up like a cooked escargot skewered on the front of the saddle.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Wittkop Medicus range???

Last edited by Stephen2014; 05-24-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Ever Consider a Brooks ?

Wallbike has a generous return Policy ...

If all else fails ..... what have you got to loose ?