Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post
No, can pretty much guarantee it was hub related. Built by the same master wheel builder, with same rim and same spokes (same model rim and same model spokes). The Tune hubs do flex. Although there's always the possibility that the Tune hubs were faulty to start with (although not very likely).

To add to this though, she's light, but she's a sprinter, so she has peak power. The DT Swiss hubs just flexed less.
Ive had 3 sets and 2 were 20/24 spoke builds. No detectable flex whatsoever.
Im not heavy but quite bit more than 120.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Ive had 3 sets and 2 were 20/24 spoke builds. No detectable flex whatsoever.
Im not heavy but quite bit more than 120.
Maybe we had bad hubs... or maybe it's how she rides vs. how you ride. She's pushy as heck (lots of peak power for her weight). If you're much smoother in your riding style, then that could explain the issue. Either way, glad they work for you, they are really nice hubs otherwise!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 AM
ergottWheels

There's nothing inherently stiffer about the DT 190 design. In fact, the 240 would handle peak loads better that 190 due to bigger bearings in the freehub.

That said, the Tune hub has better flange geometry and a 17mm axle instead of 15mm of DT. I can't see what could have been bad about the hub other than it not being adjusted properly (not enough shims).

I've ridden with that hub and put north of 1250 watts in sprints. It wasn't an issue.

You can sum up the "stiffness" a hub will give you if you look at it's design. Bearing placement and flange geometry are at the top of importance. Axle diameter/material helps too. One hub can't be laterally stiffer in the same build as another without some quantifiable reason.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM

Reviving this thread. My rear Mag 170 hub has a bit of lateral play. I can't feel it while riding, even standing, but I can feel it in the stand. How are they adjusted? I can't yet find an online manual or instructions.
thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Reviving this thread. My rear Mag 170 hub has a bit of lateral play. I can't feel it while riding, even standing, but I can feel it in the stand. How are they adjusted? I can't yet find an online manual or instructions.
thanks
here you go. unfortunately, these dont use a nice simple system to dial out play like CK or campy does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYKaLUJhzc
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 PM

Thanks!
Sounds as though it is shimmed. I'll get in touch with Fairwheel and see if they sell those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
here you go. unfortunately, these dont use a nice simple system to dial out play like CK or campy does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYKaLUJhzc
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

In case anyone in the future has a question about this hub, here's a link to the Mag 170 manual.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In case anyone in the future has a question about this hub, here's a link to the Mag 170 manual.
thanks, that's handy!
Old 05-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Sounds as though it is shimmed. I'll get in touch with Fairwheel and see if they sell those.
Its an easy process, solid system using shims to adjust the play. Fairwheel carries the shims, they sent some of various sizes..great folks and awesome customer service!

My only complaint about the tune 170 hub is the freehub body seems really soft and easily damaged/gouged by my DA cassettes compared to other aluminum bodies.

Last edited by Tony; 05-28-2020 at 09:15 PM.