Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 04:19 PM

I’ve not ridden one of Max’s bikes, but he did some work on my Legend earlier this month. We talked for a bit when I picked up my frame, and I was impressed that he is very knowledgeable regarding fit, frame design and construction techniques. He also took time to show me his shop; Max is very friendly, gracious and generous with his time.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:50 PM

I'll chime in here, seemingly extraneously, with yet more praise for Max's abilities. The Hampsten Strada Bianca he built for me is a truly incredible bicycle that has hardly seen more than a few days off at a time since I took delivery, and has had zero issues.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Registered (ab)User

I'll be honest, I keep getting 333fab and No.22 confused. Can we move past the numbers thing and go back to putting someone's name on the downtube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Ti welding seems to be like playing the guitar. Many people can do it well. But very few can do it perfectly.
There was a thread not too long ago, either here or across the hall, where someone pointed out how Ti framebuilders self-select for obsessive perfectionism: People who suck at welding Ti don't even get out of the basement; people who are just adequate at welding Ti can't build a sustainable career. All that's left are the welders whose work is exquisite: Max, Kent, Carl, Kelly, Bill, maybe a dozen other pros...
Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 PM

Mike.....
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 PM

More Max love- He built my Hampsten Ti and its a superb ride and one of my keepers- really! Last spoke with him a couple yrs back to discuss a SS coupler retrofit. Super nice guy, exceptional buider , artisan rolled in to one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B50C2225-5CA9-4FC2-BC42-411F3B5E306B.jpg (85.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by enr1co; 05-28-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
More Max love- He built my Hampsten Ti and its a superb ride and one of my keepers- really!..........
Ditto! Max was the torch master behind my wife's Hampsten GP Ti, she loves that bike. I get a kick when she asks me if her GP Ti or her Kirk is the better bike. I simply say "Yes".

Max is an elite builder.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Max is great. Super nice guy and easy to work with, even if you're not local. We did all of the work on mine over the phone and a lot of emails. Very happy with the result.

Check out mine here.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'll be honest, I keep getting 333fab and No.22 confused. Can we move past the numbers thing and go back to putting someone's name on the downtube?
Don't forget 44 Bikes too.

Quote:
All that's left are the welders whose work is exquisite: Max, Kent, Carl, Kelly, Bill, maybe a dozen other pros...
Brad Bingham certainly deserves to be included in this club.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
There was a thread not too long ago, either here or across the hall, where someone pointed out how Ti framebuilders self-select for obsessive perfectionism: People who suck at welding Ti don't even get out of the basement; people who are just adequate at welding Ti can't build a sustainable career. All that's left are the welders whose work is exquisite: Max, Kent, Carl, Kelly, Bill, maybe a dozen other pros...
Maybe it's us who have obsessive perfectionism. A Litespeed could be aligned just as well and mitered just as well. And its welds would be just as strong and the frame last just as long. But noooo, we want the perfect stack of dimes welds, and all the way around every weld on the bike. I chuckle imagining one of these guys thinking to themselves, "OK, I've done 11 welds perfectly. Don't screw up the last one with some tiny mistake!"

I can name quite a few steel builders who have the same obsessive perfectionism. Ever seen a Glen Erickson bike? But those guys get to fix their mistakes with filler and paint.

Tags
333fab