Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I’ve been told by many that unless your going off the trail the best shoe to use for hiking on trails is a trail running shoe. I have one set of Merrell’s which they are falling apart and not very well constructed.. The shoes I found that have the great life and are very comfortable Adidas Terrex. I had one pair that lasted for several years and have been to several countries and have a new pair waiting in my closet for when I get home from California.

Bought my Adidas thru Sierra.com. Very inexpensive.
I really like my Swift R3 Terrex shoes too.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Another vote for salomon here. Mine are an older pair with gore Tex and they are the most comfortable things I’ve ever worn.
I'm on my 3rd pair. For me, the thing that wears out are the soles. I use my old boots with worn soles on hikes that aren't on sketchy terrain and save the new boots for the hard stuff.

Last edited by MikeD; 03-03-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looking into a few of them, but I need mid to high shoes/boots.
Gonna play devils advocate: why?
Old 03-02-2024, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Gonna play devils advocate: why?
Ankle stability for one.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Ankle stability for one.
I’m asking specifically why. ‘Ankle support’ or ‘stability’ from footwear is largely not real. You can still roll your ankle in a boot. Ankle protection from a boot in specific environments however is real. I.e. protecting your ankle from scrapes and cuts.

The most effective way to support an ankle is to strengthen or rehabilitate the ankle in the case of a specific injury. If full rehabilitation is not possible something like a figure of 8 ankle brace is going to be far more effective than a shoe ever would be. And that can be worn in a trail runner. There’s a reason 95% of people long distance hiking are wearing low top trail runners.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I’m asking specifically why. ‘Ankle support’ or ‘stability’ from footwear is largely not real. You can still roll your ankle in a boot. Ankle protection from a boot in specific environments however is real. I.e. protecting your ankle from scrapes and cuts.

The most effective way to support an ankle is to strengthen or rehabilitate the ankle in the case of a specific injury. If full rehabilitation is not possible something like a figure of 8 ankle brace is going to be far more effective than a shoe ever would be. And that can be worn in a trail runner. There’s a reason 95% of people long distance hiking are wearing low top trail runners.
That has not been my experience. Mid cut boots give me more ankle support.

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Since 2017, I've had a pair of Hoka Tor Mid WP hiking shoes (yes, before they became all the rage). They're starting to show their age and, of course, they no longer make those. They are the most comfortable hiking shoes I've ever worn. I hiked all over yellowstone and the grand tetons with them, as well as all over the appalachian trail.

Hoka makes a high version, but they only have them in eggplant. I am NOT wearing shoes made for McDonald's Grimace or Barney the Dinosaur. There's also a Tor Tech Mid.

Anyone have any experience w/ the tech mid or any suggestions/comparables?

Thx

I tried their Kaha GTX shoes and well, they suck ass.
I think most modern gear is so good now that you are spoiled for choice. You just need to get what you like for your intended use. Hiking can mean very different things to different people.

I moved to the Salomon Raid 30 years ago and stuck with trail runners for any light hiking ever since. I've been thru a host of Salomons over the years, but now I have a pair of Arcteryx Norvans. (the important decision part was these were on sale and I wanted something new) I like these, and arcteryx makes several mid tops. the shoes are a real clean design with no gimmicky stuff. The uppers seems a little too light, but it held up well running and scrambling in the desert last year. I can destroy stuff pretty quickly if I put my mind to it.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens...-aura-mid-shoe

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/aerios-mid-gtx-shoe

If my packs get heavier though, I move to a more traditional sole and boot. For this, I like Boreal.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 03-03-2024 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:56 AM

I just went through this same process to replace an aging pair of Danner boots. I went to the local REI and tried 4 different mid height boots, Salomon, Oboz, Hoka, and Lowa. After spending time walking around the store in each pair I ended up with the Lowa Renegades. I have about 20 miles of hiking in them so far and am happy with their fit and performance.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:08 AM

In a recent search to replace some light hiking boots (older Lowa) , I ‘stumbled’ across Zamberlan. Italian, handmade boots (in Italy!) at decent prices for what each type is, IMO. The fit has been fabulous, with terrific toe box space. Very comfortable and easy to wear and walk in. I was genuinely surprised by the nice construction/build quality. New enough, though, that durability remains to be seen, in all fairness.

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/shop/ca...page=15&page=4
Old 03-03-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Few Keens I’ve tried a few years ago were surprisingly good.

But all I wear now are trail runners. Had Hoka Speedgoats for a long time then switched to Nike Zegama’s with the built in gaiters. I don’t see myself going back to hikers.
Second the recommendations for Keens. For light-duty hiking, Targhees are nearly as light as trail runners, but provide ankle protection and are waterproof.

Greg
Old 03-03-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That has not been my experience. Mid cut boots give me more ankle support.

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
Backpacking light forum used to be another haunt for me and guys with a ton more distance hiking experience than I ever will aggressively argue that is simply not true and I will have to agree. I find the most stable solution is a zero drop shoe with minimal padding so you feel the trail and don’t have all that stiff rubber and stack under the foot that reduces traction and makes it easier to roll. Not all feet can take that though. I am less likely to roll my foot in a Chaco or Altra lone peak/olympus than a high cut hiking boot.

The higher cuffs provide more protection against scuffs on rocks, etc though which could be really important for certain trails or personal needs. But they don’t provide more stability. A boot to me feels like a cast that weighs a ton that slows me down and has less traction. The impervious feel some offer is addicting though and can be worth it I suppose just for that experience alone. I rarely will still wear my Aku or Zamberlan welted all leather boots in the winter hiking in the southwest higher elevations. They last forever!

Same with waterproof boots in nearly all scenarios…don’t need em!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-03-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Same with waterproof boots in nearly all scenarios…don’t need em!
Snow, crossing creeks and streams, mud, rain?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Snow, crossing creeks and streams, mud, rain?
Some guys do low cut open sandals…always.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Some guys do low cut open sandals…always.
...and some people are never wrong. Thanks for the feedback, I'm not one of them.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:54 AM

It simply requires thinking outside the box when the goal is to minimize weight and move quickly. I and they are not in discomfort, far from it, more comfort..