Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 04:54 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I ran across a blurb about the C85 saying they have metal spikes integrated into the rubber feet. If you have carpet, try to get those spikes extended/exposed, which may require removing the rubber part (?). Sound will usually improve in the bass & mid-bass, particularly on less massive speakers that are more likely to have significant cabinet resonances, if the speaker cabinet is more rigidly coupled (via the spikes) to the wood subflooring underneath the carpet. Static from the carpet is not the issue.
Yes, that is correct, little metal spikes with rubber feet pushed onto them.
Thanks for the tip!
-Robin
Old 02-10-2021, 04:58 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
My parents (as part of their 80's splurge) decided on purchasing a mondo Hi-Fi system that was near top of the line in the day - Adcom, Sony ES, Audioquest, Linn and the cherry on top, KEF Reference speakers like the ones you pictured.

Congrats to the OP on his purchase - they should be a HUGE upgrade over the dumpster treasure
Ok, now I feel *really* old! ; )
Thats when I bought mine! My daughter will be 29 soon, so, yeah, I am old!
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
Ok, now I feel *really* old! ; )
Thats when I bought mine! My daughter will be 29 soon, so, yeah, I am old!
Ha! I ended up with this from my parents. They bought it after they got married, back in... a while ago. I had it restored to playing order. It sounds pretty bad, but that's not the point, is it?

Fisher High Fidelity. AM and that new-fangled FM!!!! Plays 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm records! There's just no stoppin' technology, eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-08-20_DSC0548.jpg (138.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-08-20_DSC0551.jpg (58.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-08-20_DSC0553.jpg (138.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-08-20_DSC0555-2.jpg (118.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 02-10-2021, 06:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Yes, the reviews online are pretty favorable and they present nicely. Speaking of looking impressive, at Tweeter, etc., in the early '80s, we kept the top of the (consumer) line KEFs in the high end sound room. Kinda R2D2ish.
It's in the way back of my mind but KEF 105 and B&W 801 were once two choices on the dream stereo list

I just picked up a pair of Beolab 8000 - aesthetically over the top but so intriguing since they are powered. I figured out how to stream spotify from an iphone into an airport express which is then wired to the speakers. The audiophile in me wants to run everything out of a preamp and add a powered sub but for now, this will be a great second set up.

Congrats to the OP for improving her sonic experience

and, FWIW, I suffered through a Little Feat concert once. terrible.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Ha! I ended up with this from my parents. They bought it after they got married, back in... a while ago. I had it restored to playing order. It sounds pretty bad, but that's not the point, is it?

Fisher High Fidelity. AM and that new-fangled FM!!!! Plays 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm records! There's just no stoppin' technology, eh?
I had that General Electric cartridge in my Hi-Fi system in 1957. It had two needles. The one with a 1 mil point was in place to play 16,33,45 rpm records when the red arrow on top points to the front. I could push down on the red pointer and rotate it and the holder with the needles so the fat side pointed to the front which positioned a 3 mil needle to play 78 rpm records which had wider grooves than records of the other(slower) speeds. There is no fee for this lesson in ancient history.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:11 PM

Paradigm.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I had that General Electric cartridge in my Hi-Fi system in 1957. It had two needles. The one with a 1 mil point was in place to play 16,33,45 rpm records when the red arrow on top points to the front. I could push down on the red pointer and rotate it and the holder with the needles so the fat side pointed to the front which positioned a 3 mil needle to play 78 rpm records which had wider grooves than records of the other(slower) speeds. There is no fee for this lesson in ancient history.
Yeah, fun times in the Wayback Machine. I don't ever use the record player, and the speakers are pretty shot (probably made of cardboard or similar long since gone bad), but it can be fun to listen to the radio. Maybe I should check out the speakers and replace them, but it looks like I'd have to disassemble pretty much the entire chassis to get to them.

There are connections in the back for external antennas.

My parents got a lot of good use out of it, though. A lot of Sibelius, Rachmaninoff, Segovia, and others were played on it - back when it sounded better.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:00 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
at Tweeter, etc., in the early '80s, we kept the top of the (consumer) line KEFs in the high end sound room.
Hey, I worked at the Tweeter Etc in Chestnut Hill from '83-'85, I remember those KEFs in the back room!
Old 02-11-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
It's in the way back of my mind but KEF 105 and B&W 801 were once two choices on the dream stereo list

I just picked up a pair of Beolab 8000 - aesthetically over the top but so intriguing since they are powered. I figured out how to stream spotify from an iphone into an airport express which is then wired to the speakers. The audiophile in me wants to run everything out of a preamp and add a powered sub but for now, this will be a great second set up.

Suffered through a Little Feat Concert? SUFFERED THROUGH A LITTLE FEAT CONCERT!! I don’t think I want to know you.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Hey, I worked at the Tweeter Etc in Chestnut Hill from '83-'85, I remember those KEFs in the back room!
Hey Bob, we've connected before, can't remember exactly where (maybe here)...I worked for Paul in Chestnut Hill '82-83!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-11-2021, 03:38 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

Whaaat? Lowell George & Roy Estrada were awesome, imho.

Funny anyway!
Old 02-11-2021, 03:41 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Suffered through a Little Feat Concert? SUFFERED THROUGH A LITTLE FEAT CONCERT!! I don’t think I want to know you.
I know, RIGHT??
Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well, let me just say this about that.

I've been on a bit of a mission to see a lot of old performers before they stop touring or just plain die. I've kinda done that for 20 years or so (e.g. John Lee Hooker), but the effort has accelerated over time, especially in the last 3-4 years. I just buy a ticket and go. It could be a singer/musician/band that I'm not terribly interested in, but I want to see at least once. Maybe I catch them on a good night. Maybe I catch them on a bad night. Maybe the sound is great. Maybe the sound is bad. Maybe the sound is really bad - I once saw Aretha Franklin perform with a horrible sound system that muted her, but that wasn't her fault.

The worst show I've seen was good. The best shows were flat out outstanding. Amazing. Moving. Stirred my soul. A variety of genres.

I saw a reincarnation of Little Feat at a local show 2-3 years ago. It was worth the price of admission. Not great, but good. I'd buy another ticket if they came around again.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:30 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Quote:
Whaaat? Lowell George & Roy Estrada were awesome, imho.

Funny anyway!
Quote:
I know, RIGHT??
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Well, let me just say this about that.

I've been on a bit of a mission to see a lot of old performers before they stop touring or just plain die. I've kinda done that for 20 years or so (e.g. John Lee Hooker), but the effort has accelerated over time, especially in the last 3-4 years. I just buy a ticket and go. It could be a singer/musician/band that I'm not terribly interested in, but I want to see at least once. Maybe I catch them on a good night. Maybe I catch them on a bad night. Maybe the sound is great. Maybe the sound is bad. Maybe the sound is really bad - I once saw Aretha Franklin perform with a horrible sound system that muted her, but that wasn't her fault.

The worst show I've seen was good. The best shows were flat out outstanding. Amazing. Moving. Stirred my soul. A variety of genres.

I saw a reincarnation of Little Feat at a local show 2-3 years ago. It was worth the price of admission. Not great, but good. I'd buy another ticket if they came around again.
It would be interesting have a do over - that is for sure. The venue was probably the worst possible place in the Bay Area back then - the Cow Palace. this is a giant "arena" where you guessed it, livestock shows and rodeo were held.

They were the opener for Yes...the first tour after Wakeman left. To this day both my friend who I went with an I use Little Feat as a code word for a terrible show.

To Rueben's point, I feel lucky to have seen a lot of live shows in my life. Across genres. Sometimes I wish I was a bit older to have seen some of the iconic but then again I would indeed be a lot older. :-)
Old 02-11-2021, 04:39 PM
v a n i l l a

Here are the Beolab 8000’s

And the backside of some 901’s I’m messing with - need a bigger amp for those