Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
bill pal, my friend rick was trying to persuade me to go to some gravel events up north in the next couple of weeks. Should I go?
Spinistry Hell of the North Texas is in Paris (TX) on 7/22. 40-100 mile options.
https://www.facebook.com/events/150904449045910/

Of course, this is where I live and I've looked at the course and it's going to be ok because they added aid stations and some sag. The big negative around here is the lack of places to get water outside of town, especially on a Sunday.

The day before is the Tour de Paris which is a road rally with lots of options. It will likely be Africa Hot all weekend.

I can't say for sure that I'll be here but it's likely I will be. I'm relocating to NW Arizona for a new job and need to take a househunting trip in the next few weeks to find a rental. If I'm here, I'll likely do both.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks for the info, Bill pal. Hope your house hunting and relocation prep goes well. At this moment, I am gonna say "no" to my friend Rick, I am not motivated enough to drive 4.5 hrs one way to a biking event.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thanks for the info, Bill pal. Hope your house hunting and relocation prep goes well. At this moment, I am gonna say "no" to my friend Rick, I am not motivated enough to drive 4.5 hrs one way to a biking event.
The only reason I did the San Saba race is because I had a job interview in Kyle on that Friday. I wouldn't have done a 5+ hour drive to suffer in the heat. I rode with my normal riding partner and we pushed each other.

Kind of back OT, I was getting really bad foot pain on the gravel events. I have done what most people would do, I wear MTB shoes with SPD pedals for gravel events. What I found is that my MTB shoes aren't stiff enough. For the most part, you clip in and ride the entire event. There have been a few times when I was totally blown up that I walked a hill, but it would have been ok in road shoes. I did a 6 hour solo century last Friday on my road bike with my Shimano 321 shoes and had no foot pain. Now I'm either going to use road shoes and pedals or find a stiffer MTB shoe.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The only reason I did the San Saba race is because I had a job interview in Kyle on that Friday. I wouldn't have done a 5+ hour drive to suffer in the heat. I rode with my normal riding partner and we pushed each other.

Kind of back OT, I was getting really bad foot pain on the gravel events. I have done what most people would do, I wear MTB shoes with SPD pedals for gravel events. What I found is that my MTB shoes aren't stiff enough. For the most part, you clip in and ride the entire event. There have been a few times when I was totally blown up that I walked a hill, but it would have been ok in road shoes. I did a 6 hour solo century last Friday on my road bike with my Shimano 321 shoes and had no foot pain. Now I'm either going to use road shoes and pedals or find a stiffer MTB shoe.
Stiffer MTB shoe, more of a racing shoe, it'll be better for gravel, you hit the nail on the head, walking is really rare on gravel rides.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:50 AM
ZhugeLiang

Our new address