Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 01:38 PM

I’d be interested to see, out of the “left hand up at 90°” crowd, what’s your preferences on say, rim/disc brakes, and tire width over/under 32mm.
I feel like the left hand up crowd is just stubborn.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
When New York state updated their vehicle traffic laws to allow use of the right hand to signal right turns, I adopted this convention. Seens to be easier for other road users to understand.

Greg
Massachusetts state laws allows either hand to signal a turn or a stop. But the way it is written implies that you could also signal a LEFT turn by holding the RIGHT arm up, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone do that. From Massachusetts General laws, Chapter 85, Section 11b:

Quote:
Section 11B. Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the special regulations contained in this section, except that: (1) the bicycle operator may keep to the right when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way, (2) the bicycle operator shall signal by either hand his intention to stop or turn; provided, however, that signals need not be made continuously and shall not be made when the use of both hands is necessary for the safe operation of the bicycle, and (3) bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks outside business districts when necessary in the interest of safety, unless otherwise directed by local ordinance. A person operating a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I’d be interested to see, out of the “left hand up at 90°” crowd, what’s your preferences on say, rim/disc brakes, and tire width over/under 32mm.
I'm 43 and have bikes from 1950 up to 2023. Rim brake and disc brake. Narrowest tires I ride are 28s that measure 30, though.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I still use those signals and have taught my kids to do the same. All of my bikes are setup moto style and my right hand remains on the bar to operate the front brake while I signal.
This seems like a good way to endo. If riding one-handed, I'd rather only have access to the rear brake.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:25 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When slowing, I usually hold my hand with an open palm facing directly backwards, as in a "halt" hand signal.
I do this, except I open and close my fist as if it was "flashing".. I think I was taught that from the first San Diego club I started riding with back in the day.. I guess maybe I feel it might get more attention? but really, I only usually do this if I'm riding in a group.. if solo, usually no hand indications except for turning..

But I'm 100% in that I use my right hand/arm to signal a right turn.. it just makes sense and does anyone really think most drivers 60 and under will recognize the left arm up thing? I don't..
Old 03-20-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Left hand out - left turn

Right hand out - right turn

Slowing - left or right arm down, usually wiggle a bit to get attention

I think the left hand for all signals came from motorcycles, where the right hand is the throttle and brake, so you don't ever want it off the bar.
^this

I point where I want to go. Gotta keep it simple. Anything more complicated than this will be misunderstood by drivers.

Hell, even simple point left or right is hard for some drivers to interpret. I'm not going to throw 90 degree elbows into the interpretation mix.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
This seems like a good way to endo. If riding one-handed, I'd rather only have access to the rear brake.
Probably would be for a lot of folks. I grew up riding motorcycles. I'm not going to change my front brake hand at this point. For sure no one is going to know I'm signaling a left turn with my right hand.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:18 PM

Nobody in today's world even knows what stopping and slowing hand signals mean! If I'm in a line of cyclists then I'll use those, but motorists don't have a clue.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:28 PM

Different states have different laws on what is a legal hand signal. If you show an illegal hand signal, and then get hit, you might be considered at fault. Many states have made a straight right arm signal legal for signaling a right turn. Know your laws and if you go to a different state, ask about or research what they have for the law. Waving or wiggling your hand or fingers is probably NOT a legal hand signal anywhere.
That right hand straight up for stop in the graphic is really odd. I have already had ignorant drivers think a straight arm signal is nothing but a hello. That would be absolutely misunderstood by most people.

Last edited by bikinchris; 03-20-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:37 PM

AZ says cyclists and motorcyclists can extend their right arm to the side to signal a turn. I do it that way even though a few people in my neighborhood have complained about it on facebook. I keep doing it for no other reason than that.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:48 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
The right turn signal by raising your left hand was a holdover from the days before cars had turn signals.
I saw someone in an old car making the right turn signal and only barely understood what it was until after he had turned. Nobody understands it when a cyclist does it either, although a majority of motorists seem hard pressed to understand that cyclists make left turns.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:51 PM

I don't have any hard data, however I strongly suspect that most auto drivers have no idea that an extended left arm pointing upward is a signal for a right turn, be it from a car, motorcycle or bicycle. Again, no hard data, however here in northern Ohio the traffic that I witness is that at least half of motorized vehicle use no signal at all when changing lanes or turning.

I was taught many years ago in driver's education, that you should use an auto's directional signals when backing out of a parking space, if for no other reason than to help get the attention of others; I do this religiously (thanks Mr. Meyers).

In terms of operating a bicycle, Ohio allows using the right arm to signal your intention to turn right.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:00 PM
#RYFB

Though I'm comfortable using the 90 degree left arm for a right turn signal, I tend to use my right hand. I'd say the majority of my signaling is for the other cyclists with whom I'm riding.

Curiously, the signal I seem to use most often for cars isn't pictured above.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:06 PM

the more important question is...

how to get phucking drivers to use any sort of turn signal? think of how many freeway and road accidents could be avoided if we just knew what the dumb asses were going to do next.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
If you ride a bike, and then get hit, you will be considered at fault for existing.
ftfy