Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Shooting as an irritant won't work and will cause more problems than it solves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
Wouldn't "just wounding" an animal, and especially a wide-spread urban rodent, possibly cause them real suffering and even maybe transmittable disease? That does not sound very humane at all to me.
Agreed.

If you've decided to kill a rodent, then commit to it. A gun of any kind, especially in a populated area, is not the safest nor the most effective solution.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-06-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM

You need one of these. Looks like a teddy bear. Loves all people. Has the prey drive of a great white shark on amphetamines. 55 pounds of fur, fangs, and attitude. His nickname is “the verminator.” Squirrels are easy victims. He’s fast and silent when on the hunt. He doesn’t hunt to retrieve prey. He hunts to shred vermin to bits.

Greg

Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I know we have some firearm enthusiasts here so i thought that I, a bleeding heart liberal gun control advocate, would seek their advice. I hope we can avoid political complications (silly rabbit).

TL;DR: can you recommend a decent quality BB or pellet (not sure which is best) pistol for shooting but not killing rodents, especially squirrels?

I am at my wit's end with the squirrels and rats devastating our fruit trees. I don't mind sacrificing a nominal portion of the harvest to them but they seem determined to sample/ruin every damned piece of fruit.

I am contemplating purchasing a BB/pellet gun to provide a…stronger form of discouragement to the vermin. I don't want to kill them, rather deliver enough pain that they are unlikely to return. In the past I tried a plastic gun that shot ceramic pellets but it was unreliable.

I've never been in a gun shop or the gun section of a sporting goods store so I don't know what to look for.

Other advice for dealing with vermin is also welcome. We've tried putting cayenne pepper on the fruit but it was ineffective and some of the fruit is too high to make that strategy viable even if it worked.

thanks
One question, who’s been there the longest, you or the vermin?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
One question, who’s been there the longest, you or the vermin?
Based on the average lifespan of a squirrel, we have.
We are also responsible for the presence of all but one of the fruit trees.
Not that I think either matters.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Agreed.

If you've decided to kill a rodent, then commit to it. A gun of any kind, especially in a populated area, is not the safest nor the most effective solution.
Thanks, that's a helpful link.

Just to be clear on the post you quoted, I double checked that I never wrote "just wound", rather "discourage".
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheosibal View Post
FWIW - Won't be able to buy BB guns online in CA, but I think you can get airsoft. You could buy them at a gun shop, big 5, dick's sporting goods, etc.
I purchased my pellet gun online 2 years ago and I live in CA. No problems whatsoever.

For squirrels, you are best getting a live trap and relocating them if you don't want to harm them. I've found the 32" x 15" x 10" medium trap to work well with oranges from my orange tree sliced open and scattered around the opening and then inside. You need to get the squirrels out of the trap pretty soon as they'll hurt themselves by ramming into the sides and ends trying to pry it open with their heads.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 AM

A24 rat trap

This will solve your problem: the Goodnature A24 trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlwUXP-ubI

Warning: this is a graphic video.

Last edited by Ed-B; 08-07-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank View Post
I purchased my pellet gun online 2 years ago and I live in CA. No problems whatsoever.

For squirrels, you are best getting a live trap and relocating them if you don't want to harm them. I've found the 32" x 15" x 10" medium trap to work well with oranges from my orange tree sliced open and scattered around the opening and then inside. You need to get the squirrels out of the trap pretty soon as they'll hurt themselves by ramming into the sides and ends trying to pry it open with their heads.
Be careful in many states relocating wildlife is illegal - even squirrels and woodchucks. Check the state DEC regulations before you do this - all you need is a pissed off neighbor and staties show up.

If you do want to go the air rifle route, the Crosman 760 is a classic - 700fps muzzle velocity, shoots BB's or .177 pellets - about $65. Very effective against chipmunks and squirrels. I still have the one I got as a teen, and it works great.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Eventually, new squirrels will move in. But in the meantime, I also encourage killing it as opposed to 'discouraging' it.

My dad had a rule, you shoot it, you eat it. I can attest that Braised Spanish Squirrel is really good.

Or you can just do the classic mystery meat mince pie.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:13 AM
quadropheniac

Crossman 2100B with .177 pellets does the trick...inexpensive and simple to use. Will take out squirrels and groundhogs from 25-35 yards and your neighbors won’t pay attention.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosm..._Air_Rifle/226
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Yep, fun plinker.

Buy the quietest one possible that still has decent velocity, that way if you have paranoid or nosy neighbors they won't hear it.

Squirrels are simply pests/rodents. Breed like crazy. They'll inundate property and destroy your yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
Crossman 2100B with .177 pellets does the trick...inexpensive and simple to use. Will take out squirrels and groundhogs from 25-35 yards and your neighbors won’t pay attention.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosm..._Air_Rifle/226
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Shooting as an irritant won't work and will cause more problems than it solves. Shoot to kill, or don't shoot.

The owl box is a great option, but will take a while. I live in Santa Barbara and we hear barn owls on the regular. A family of barn owls puts down an astonishing number of rodents per year, like... thousands. I'm going to be trying this option in the fall ahead of the nesting season. You need to figure out what kinds of owls live in your area, and build a box for that species to attract a nesting pair. A friend did this here last year and it was pretty amazing to see the progress of 4 owl chicks.
This one is your solution, I think. Pellet guns might scare away one at a time, but there are so many squirrels... Plus barn owls have a cool shriek.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 AM

Don't listen to the mamby-pambies. Get an air rifle that will terminate the little thieves. I like watching squirrels skittering to and fro as much as the next person, but when they become a pest it's time to take them out.

If you're unfamiliar with shooting a gun, start with tin cans and work your way up to stationary squirrels after that. Running squirrels is a bit more challenging with an air rifle. You have to learn how much to lead the squirrel before firing.

After you "harvest" your first one, butcher and serve for dinner. They really do taste "jez like chicken", however skinning them can be a two person operation. Most of the meat is on the hind legs. Front legs and bodies, not much there.

You can thank me later.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I am at my wit's end with the squirrels and rats devastating our fruit trees. I don't mind sacrificing a nominal portion of the harvest to them but they seem determined to sample/ruin every damned piece of fruit.

I am contemplating purchasing a BB/pellet gun to provide a…stronger form of discouragement to the vermin.
I had a serious squirrel infestation in my house some years ago, and while a pellet gun was considered, I just didn't think I could sit around waiting at dusk and dawn every night to do my target practice. I was far more effective trapping ~25 of them suckers with much less wait time....
Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 AM

My Left Coast friend uses a Squirrelinator.
https://squirrelinator.com/
He has the optioned-out model that includes the water pan. He recycles the water onto trees and tosses the varmints out for the coyotes to munch on.
I’ve read it’s more “humanitarian” to drown squirrels than relocate.