Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 03:23 PM

What would you consider too nice for a commuter that's sometimes locked outside?

I've been procrastinating a bit on a build recently and can't totally figure out what the deal is... so here goes.

I bought a genesis equilibrium disc frameset off the forum and I've got just about all the parts needed to build it up. The plan for it was to be a chill roadie for solo rides or mellow group rides and to have my caad13 rim brake bike for the faster rides. The eventual goal was to retire the genesis to commuter duty down the line since it has rack and fender mounts.

My current commuter is a heavy as heck AL gravel bike (charge plug) that's built up with claris and fenders/rack. It is fantastic at its job and doesn't really draw a ton of attention. I don't live up stairs so the 25-30lb weight isn't really a huge deal but my gf does though and I'd like to ride it there every so often and take it up to her place. I work overnight sometimes and the bike could be locked up for hours overnight at a time, but I can do it in a place where there are lot of bikes and security presence (near hospital entrance).

I've been working a bunch of extra shifts and have some extra disposable income even after being responsible... would it be stupid to just look for something nicer as a keeper roadie and just build the genesis up as a commuter right now. The current commuter should sell pretty quickly at 400-500 imho.... was thinking something along the lines of a cervelo caledonia, cannondale supersix, or find something else off the classifieds here.

Sorry for the brain dump, but having a reasonably nice commuter sounds like such a weird thing. I did commute on my old trek 520 and 760 in boston for years though and that ruled!
Old 05-16-2024, 03:25 PM

I think this really depends on what city you're in.

Here in Richmond, I see really nice bikes locked up all the time, bikes that almost certainly would be immediately stolen in NYC.

So the answer is going to be... It depends.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:33 PM

I’d quantify it by what won’t make you cry when it’s stolen. If that is a dogma with super record or a repurposed old steel road bike as a fixie; only you can answer that.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

How easy is it (other than by bitter first-hand experience) to figure out how discriminating the bike thieves are in a given area?

I suppose it could range from the proverbial crack-head who'll take anything that will get him $5, to the crooked high-end shop wrench who won't take anything below a Responsorium.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:39 PM

Similar to the above. Whatever I won’t worry about. Usually that means something sub-$1000.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I think this really depends on what city you're in.

Here in Richmond, I see really nice bikes locked up all the time, bikes that almost certainly would be immediately stolen in NYC.

So the answer is going to be... It depends.
I'm in philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Similar to the above. Whatever I won’t worry about. Usually that means something sub-$1000.
I think this build would come in under 1k or thereabout-ish.

If I wanted to be totally ridiculous about it, I could probably build it with a spare cable disc claris setup. Would work great but ehhhh?
Old 05-16-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Would work great but ehhhh?
I get that feeling. It’s a shame people are ****heads and we can’t leave nicer bikes locked outside without worry. In my area, it’d be fine 99/100 times, but that 1 time gets expensive.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I get that feeling. It’s a shame people are ****heads and we can’t leave nicer bikes locked outside without worry. In my area, it’d be fine 99/100 times, but that 1 time gets expensive.
If I buy something different for a roadie, the current build plan for the Genesis commuter would be ultegra mech disc. I'd likely get some cheap disc wheels since I only have fancy disc wheels right now... Or if the bike I got came with cheap wheels I'd just put those on it.

I just sold an old rim brake bike to a friend today. If I sell the current commuter, it would pay for the entire Genesis commuter build!
Old 05-17-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Depends on your insurance coverage. A nice older steel bike might bring a windfall for a replacement value claim.

I commuted on a Cannondale T800 with Campy triple for a while. I was fortunate that I had access to a rack in a garage below the building...in a nice office park (Waltham, MA), where there were no worries about theft.

That building specifically barred bikes from being brought inside.

In a prior life, my bike was parked in my office.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-17-2024, 07:37 AM

Invest in TWO very heavy duty locks....maybe one of them a chain. Bikes stolen are the ones most easily stolen. Obviously some might get targeted but in much smaller numbers. Don't lock it in the same place every day.

Last edited by charliedid; 05-17-2024 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Depends on your insurance coverage. A nice older steel bike might bring a windfall for a replacement value claim.
Assuming you mean home owners, despite the retail cost of some of my bikes, I can’t imagine making a claim against that policy. After the deductible, their payout would be a small fraction of the retail price - I can’t imagine it’s worth it.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:49 AM

I have been locking my All City Space Horse up for years.

That's a $1200 bike originally, but it's got some upgrades on it. (It has 105 on it instead of Tiagra, it has a nicer saddle and seatpost than stock, etc..)

I am not even 100% sure I'd be disappointed if it got stolen. I'd get to replace it with something I liked better, even if that was a cheaper bike. That whole feeling of "so what" if the bike was gone is part of feeling comfortable locking it up.

But it's not likely to get stolen. I lock it up with an Abus lock plus a cable to secure the front wheel, and security is tight at work where I mostly lock it up. LEOs in and out of the building, security cameras almost certainly trained on the area where bikes are locked up, and there are private security guards.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Assuming you mean home owners, despite the retail cost of some of my bikes, I can’t imagine making a claim against that policy. After the deductible, their payout would be a small fraction of the retail price - I can’t imagine it’s worth it.
My renter's insurance covered my bike when it got stolen. Because I built it up from a frameset, I had actual dollar amounts for every piece on the bike. They covered 100% of it.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:05 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Where in philly will it be locked up? Maaaybe Roxborough or Chestnut Hill hospital would be fine overnight but any other hospital in the city, I wouldn't keep a bike outside overnight. Hospital security won't care if your bike is getting stolen. Chop/HUP/Jefferson all have garages...can you keep it in there?

Maybe call some of the garages nearby and see if they do bike parking for a fee? Even then I'd lock the **** out of it but at least you know there are eyes/cameras/gates around it.

To answer your question, i've locked up my unassuming fixie with 2 locks (u lock to rack and another ulock with steel cable woven around all the parts) outside for a few hours at night while in the bars. So, maybe $400 bike.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:35 AM

Commuter = disposable. Heavy and ugly is to your benefit when you get on your light, attractive regular whip. Especially if you lock it outside, spending any extra money on looks or high quality components is just lighting it on fire.