Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Steel All-road frames

Help me find options for what I'm looking for.

I recently built up a 70s Windsor all an all road bike and I'll admit, it has opened my eyes to how a full steel bike can feel on the road. Really the only thing I'd change on it if I could is I'd make it disc brake and wider tire clearance.

So what's out there that is disc (preferably post mount), threaded BB, lively geo, full steel, and 38-40mm tire clearance at least? And not full custom prices.

I was looking at BMC but it seems like he doesn't make a disc version of anything except the Road+ frame. (Which is actually a pretty cool frame, and I love the lugged fork :heart: )

Also looked at:
Soma Fog Cutter - pretty good contender

Last edited by shoota; 11-04-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Kona Sutra (and others)
All City Monsoon, Space Horse
Twin Six Rando
Salsa (a few AR models)
Niner
Bombtrack
Merlin (the retailers house brand)
Gunnar

To name a few and those won't break the bank like a full custom etc.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Not sure how you define lively geo, but the Specialized Sequoia checks some of those boxes....
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Bikes

I think you should look at either a custom Retrotec or a Frank the Welder build, not sure you would not be at about the same investment with either

Ray
Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM
50 bpm

This builder lives near my son in Brooklyn. Going to check it out next month.

http://www.horsebrand.co/bikes/all-road-elite-1
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Riding Along

How about our very own David Kirk. If custom steel is within your budget.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks so far, all. I bolded the "not custom prices" part.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 AM

You can't get a light and lively steel frame with disc brakes at off-the-peg prices.

To be mass-produced, the safety margin has to go up, and that results in overbuilt steel tubes and forks. This is especially true when discs are involved.

Your best bet is either someone else's used custom (unlikely given that steel disc frame/fork combos are relatively rare), or finding a custom builder who is up n' coming, doing semi-production, and/or is willing to do minimal finish work (i.e., powder coat and tig-welded). You may be able to hit the $2K mark there - maybe.

EDIT:

I may have misread your post. If you're looking for road-bike geometry (lively handling), but don't care about the lovely springy ride of the steel, RobJ's list should get you there. I'd be careful though. Not everyone has figured out how to deliver road-bike handling with bigger tires that impact trail, and BB height. Keeping standard classic road geometry and just adding more tire clearance doesn't get you there.

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-04-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You can't get a light and lively steel frame with disc brakes at off-the-peg prices.

To be mass-produced, the safety margin has to go up, and that results in overbuilt steel tubes and forks. This is especially true when discs are involved.

Your best bet is either someone else's used custom (unlikely given that steel disc frame/fork combos are relatively rare), or finding a custom builder who is up n' coming, doing semi-production, and/or is willing to do minimal finish work (i.e., powder coat and tig-welded). You may be able to hit the $2K mark there - maybe.

EDIT:

I may have misread your post. If you're looking for road-bike geometry (lively handling), but don't care about the lovely springy ride of the steel, RobJ's list should get you there. I'd be careful though. Not everyone has figured out how to deliver road-bike handling with bigger tires that impact trail, and BB height. Keeping standard classic road geometry and just adding more tire clearance doesn't get you there.
That's really great info. I didn't know most of that tbh. "Lively" in my mind is light tubing that feels responsive, road-like angles, quicker steering than most gravel/touring bikes.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM

I know it's custom, but I got my Coconino Dirt Road Racer out for under $5k with a nice build and wheels. If you want bigger tires and quicker handling, it's going to be a longer bike to get the head angle or fork rake and still clear the tires. The custom route allows you to work with a builder to get the bike handling you want, with the tires you need.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 AM

What about Crust Bikes? I've never ridden one, and they seem to be the latest and greatest on social media - but they do look like they tick all the boxes. The couple I've seen in person looked really nice.

Dreamer, Bombora, or Romanceur could be good options!

https://crustbikes.com/product-category/bikes/frames/
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
This builder lives near my son in Brooklyn. Going to check it out next month.

http://www.horsebrand.co/bikes/all-road-elite-1
Horse is amazing. He's super responsive via email and his frames are immaculate. I talked to him about getting an All Road Elite frame/fork build. I may revisit this idea. I've also been looking for an All City Space horse Disc. I think those bikes are the best bang for buck when it comes to a 650b bike with all of the rack options, etc. Space horse frame/fork is $650 online.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
That's really great info. I didn't know most of that tbh. "Lively" in my mind is light tubing that feels responsive, road-like angles, quicker steering than most gravel/touring bikes.
http://boulderbicycle.bike/Boulder-B...d-Pricing.html

A good place to pick up a bit more on the subject - and you could always have Gunnar/Waterford build something similar for you (with the caveat around disc brakes and steel frames/forks still being there - you have to overbuild to manage the braking load and that impacts ride quality).

Also google Fitz bikes and HenryWildebarry on YouTube - he covers a lot of this in some of his videos.

I suspect what you are looking for is an Open Upper, but made of steel, and at an affordable price. That's a tall order - and also a great goal to have.

My last piece of advice is to consider tinkering with an off-the-peg version before going custom. A Spesh/Trek/Giant whatever can be had somewhat cheap and lets you see if you even like fat tires and disc brakes before shelling out for a nicer stock-ish steel setup or going custom at some point.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:59 AM

This thread is like the friend who knows you're a road cyclists, and always says "I want to get into cycling, can you help me find a bike?"

The first thing I say to them is, "What's your budget?"

What's your budget for the frame you desire?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Fairdale - https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/produ...-enve-fork-kit

Fairlight - for not quite custom dollars - https://fairlightcycles.com/product/...v=7516fd43adaa