Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 11-19-2018, 10:46 PM

Speedvagen Ready Made GTFO

I recently had moved out of California (sad face) so the mountain bikes I owned felt moot, and I wasn't racing cross anymore so the CX bikes also seemed as of late, to be moot. I've ended up in Milwaukee, where bike commuting is doable, and the summer gravel/bikepacking scene seems rad. Life then revealed the Speedvagen GTFO, and I was stoked, a bike that seemingly could do all kinds of things, and keep my "quiver" to a simple numeral; 1 (we'll see).

It's rad to finally be a SV customer, and this is a bog standard GTFO, minus the bullmoose bars, +carbon seat cap, and a rear der. hanger, so I can go 1x11 in the spring. Enjoy the photos, as questions throw shade, move this to the production forum, whatever. I'll probably document racks and wheels and whatever else I do while fiddling with this thing over the long winter.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 PM

The packaging was pretty rad, nearly assembled, wheels underneath, and my favorite little bit, wooden thru-axles for shipping.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Cool bike! I’ve also been eyeing one of those — seems like an awesome deal for what it can do and after a couple rough crashes on trails on my rim-breaked gravel bike it may be finally time to admit that discs make a difference.

Is it made in their workshop in PDX? On their site it says made by their “production partners” but not where those people are.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM

Awesome.
that is not a boring touring bike.

Instagram
Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
Is it made in their workshop in PDX? On their site it says made by their “production partners” but not where those people are.
Might be built by Simple Bike Co, as per this Instagram post

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp7Z40_FV4U/

Not sure if the welder comes in to the shop to work, or the parts get sent out.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Very cool bike that should treat you well for many years to come!

---------

That guy's instagram post rubs me the wrong way though. Bragging about the output of a 3rd party welder doing speedvagen frames is walking a thin line on what the company represents as both art and top notch quality. Guy needs to do his work and stick behind the scenes.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
Very cool bike that should treat you well for many years to come!

---------

That guy's instagram post rubs me the wrong way though. Bragging about the output of a 3rd party welder doing speedvagen frames is walking a thin line on what the company represents as both art and top notch quality. Guy needs to do his work and stick behind the scenes.

Odd thing is that the main welder at speedvagen posted a like to the Instagram post which is how I found it.

Other interesting thing is that some of the bikes are customs, there are a few carbon seat tubes. Batch looks to be mostly cross frames by the tapered head tubes.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Questions: How was the ordering process? How long did you wait for delivery?
Was the steerer cut to a specified length, minimum length, or max number of spacers-ready for you to trim? What options if any did you select for your order? Do the Ghost graphics seem durable or does it seem like if you catch an edge, you could pick off a letter? Do you have enough seat height adjustability within the range of the seat mast?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 PM

As a first time SV customer, the process had its quirks... but hey—they make bikes and the bike is rad. Delivery was right around 60 days. The ghost graphics are awesome—super durable, a part of the paint and process not just a topical application. The only option was the enve carbon topper, and the 1-pc bullmoose “downgrade” to a standard pro plt stem.

Geo is their large with seat height and reach/bar set-up derived from a custom Hunter I used to own/race.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread because the GTFO is awesome.

if you do the math according to that post he’s turning out 1 front triangle every 24 minutes. I have always wanted a speedvagen cx (as in I’ve pined for one for nearly a decade) but I don’t know how I feel about dumping 5k on a frameset that was put together that quickly... kind of loses some of the individual to you feeling.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Not to hijack this thread because the GTFO is awesome.

if you do the math according to that post he’s turning out 1 front triangle every 24 minutes. I have always wanted a speedvagen cx (as in I’ve pined for one for nearly a decade) but I don’t know how I feel about dumping 5k on a frameset that was put together that quickly... kind of loses some of the individual to you feeling.
As long as the work is done properly, does it matter how long it took?

I like this bike, looks like a blast to ride
Old 11-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Great bike! I love everything about it.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:32 PM

I guess you have to buy into their tubing and aesthetic not who welded or how long—if you do then it’s certainly worth it. The ride is bananas... so smooth, so planted and dialed. I’m def starting to love the bike.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, as they say. Speedvagen is a design and marketing company. Nice bikes, but someone is overcharging and i doubt it's the guy on IG who is proud of a day's work.

(Anyway, OP's bike looks great!)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Sweet! Welcome to Milwaukee!

Tags
gtfo, ready made, speedvagen