Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
More photos coming through of the build progress..

Looking pretty dang sweet.
.













Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Lionel Lionel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aix en Provence
Posts: 1,600
How are you going to put the rear wheel in there ?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
How are you going to put the rear wheel in there ?
Stay tuned. I think it's all coming together today..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Lionel Lionel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aix en Provence
Posts: 1,600
The head badge is boss
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM
ChristianWong ChristianWong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 207
Terraplane or straight stays? Super excited for you!

Is it too early to call dibs..?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
Terraplane or straight stays? Super excited for you!

Is it too early to call dibs..?
Terraplane - of course

Since this one is actually going to fit me, I think it'll be too big for you - but regardless, I can afford to buy used and sell used - I can't afford to buy custom at full price and re-sell - nor would I want to.. This bike is the culmination of a lot of experimenting and my goal is for it to be the keystone in my collection. I can add a weight/aero-weenie race bike, a cross bike, a 29er, a commuter, a gravel bike, a retro-mod, a singlespeed, or whatever if I have the room and the budget. If not, I'll have one bike that does 90% of what I want and still be a happy dude.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
The head badge is boss
Agreed. Plus I think it really helps tie things together visually on this bigger size headtube..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM
ChristianWong ChristianWong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Terraplane - of course

Since this one is actually going to fit me, I think it'll be too big for you - but regardless, I can afford to buy used and sell used - I can't afford to buy custom at full price and re-sell - nor would I want to.. This bike is the culmination of a lot of experimenting and my goal is for it to be the keystone in my collection. I can add a weight/aero-weenie race bike, a cross bike, a 29er, a commuter, a gravel bike, a retro-mod, a singlespeed, or whatever if I have the room and the budget. If not, I'll have one bike that does 90% of what I want and still be a happy dude.
Just teasing, of course. I imagine you'll be happy with this one for a good long time.

I think we are indeed about the same size, the Davidson is a bit of an experiment in a smaller frame size. I think I'll eventually pick up something a little bit taller. Otherwise, I would have snagged your Moots when it was on offer.

But I digress, can't wait to see this finished up!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
Just teasing, of course. I imagine you'll be happy with this one for a good long time.

I think we are indeed about the same size, the Davidson is a bit of an experiment in a smaller frame size. I think I'll eventually pick up something a little bit taller. Otherwise, I would have snagged your Moots when it was on offer.

But I digress, can't wait to see this finished up!
I hear you. Dave's explanation of weight distribution and balance, and what affects that in terms of frame geometry was a real eye-opener for me - it gave words to some of what I'd been experiencing when jumping between different geometries. I'd largely been assuming that as long as my contact points were in the right place (setback, reach, drop), I'd be fine - but it turns out there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to how the bike will actually ride. So, while it may be fine for me to size-down for a crit bike, I'm finding these days I really want to size up for all around riding and better liveability with the bike. There is a limit though - and I think I found that with EJ's Della Santa, which was quite large for me (though still an exceptional ride). I'm pretty confident this one is going to be just right..
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:14 PM
d_douglas d_douglas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 6,036
As much as I pine for a Crumpton or whatever carbon bike, I simply cant help but conclude that Dave is the current finest frame builder in the biz. They just look exquisite.

Maybe my 50th birthday gift will be steel...
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM
weisan's Avatar
weisan weisan is online now
ZhugeLiang
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back in Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'd largely been assuming that as long as my contact points were in the right place (setback, reach, drop), I'd be fine - but it turns out there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to how the bike will actually ride.
yup. pretty much came to the same conclusion. after a lot of experimenting and transferring contact points. i know how I feel. aint the same. not even close. right now the merlin takes the cake. looking good, clean pal. DK is mr. consistent.
__________________
🏻*

Last edited by weisan; 08-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM
weisan's Avatar
weisan weisan is online now
ZhugeLiang
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back in Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,124
Not trying to steal DK's thunder. I was so inspired by the pictures posted here - that I just have to go into the garage and take this thing off its peg and admire. We are so blessed. All these great options available to us. Grandmssters of their craft. Passing the torch. Generations.





__________________
🏻*
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM
hollowgram5 hollowgram5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,422
Saw Dave's latest on IG today. Wow, looking forward to seeing how you get this painted...
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Saw Dave's latest on IG today. Wow, looking forward to seeing how you get this painted...
It's looking pretty real now - just some bosses and clean-up.. I better get going on the paint decisions. Which means finally telling my wife about it

.


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 PM
bob heinatz bob heinatz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 581
Clean that Kirk is looking really nice. What I really like about Dave's bikes is his custom steel fork made for each bike. Not some carbon generic most builders put on steel frames today. The build of a steel fork custom made to fit the bike and its intended riding is becoming a lost art. Looking forward to your take when you have had plenty of time in the saddle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.