Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM

More photos coming through of the build progress..

Looking pretty dang sweet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM

How are you going to put the rear wheel in there ?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
How are you going to put the rear wheel in there ?
Stay tuned. I think it's all coming together today..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM

The head badge is boss
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Terraplane or straight stays? Super excited for you!

Is it too early to call dibs..?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
Terraplane or straight stays? Super excited for you!

Is it too early to call dibs..?
Terraplane - of course

Since this one is actually going to fit me, I think it'll be too big for you - but regardless, I can afford to buy used and sell used - I can't afford to buy custom at full price and re-sell - nor would I want to.. This bike is the culmination of a lot of experimenting and my goal is for it to be the keystone in my collection. I can add a weight/aero-weenie race bike, a cross bike, a 29er, a commuter, a gravel bike, a retro-mod, a singlespeed, or whatever if I have the room and the budget. If not, I'll have one bike that does 90% of what I want and still be a happy dude.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
The head badge is boss
Agreed. Plus I think it really helps tie things together visually on this bigger size headtube..
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Terraplane - of course

Since this one is actually going to fit me, I think it'll be too big for you - but regardless, I can afford to buy used and sell used - I can't afford to buy custom at full price and re-sell - nor would I want to.. This bike is the culmination of a lot of experimenting and my goal is for it to be the keystone in my collection. I can add a weight/aero-weenie race bike, a cross bike, a 29er, a commuter, a gravel bike, a retro-mod, a singlespeed, or whatever if I have the room and the budget. If not, I'll have one bike that does 90% of what I want and still be a happy dude.
Just teasing, of course. I imagine you'll be happy with this one for a good long time.

I think we are indeed about the same size, the Davidson is a bit of an experiment in a smaller frame size. I think I'll eventually pick up something a little bit taller. Otherwise, I would have snagged your Moots when it was on offer.

But I digress, can't wait to see this finished up!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
Just teasing, of course. I imagine you'll be happy with this one for a good long time.

I think we are indeed about the same size, the Davidson is a bit of an experiment in a smaller frame size. I think I'll eventually pick up something a little bit taller. Otherwise, I would have snagged your Moots when it was on offer.

But I digress, can't wait to see this finished up!
I hear you. Dave's explanation of weight distribution and balance, and what affects that in terms of frame geometry was a real eye-opener for me - it gave words to some of what I'd been experiencing when jumping between different geometries. I'd largely been assuming that as long as my contact points were in the right place (setback, reach, drop), I'd be fine - but it turns out there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to how the bike will actually ride. So, while it may be fine for me to size-down for a crit bike, I'm finding these days I really want to size up for all around riding and better liveability with the bike. There is a limit though - and I think I found that with EJ's Della Santa, which was quite large for me (though still an exceptional ride). I'm pretty confident this one is going to be just right..
Old 08-07-2018, 03:14 PM

As much as I pine for a Crumpton or whatever carbon bike, I simply cant help but conclude that Dave is the current finest frame builder in the biz. They just look exquisite.

Maybe my 50th birthday gift will be steel...
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'd largely been assuming that as long as my contact points were in the right place (setback, reach, drop), I'd be fine - but it turns out there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to how the bike will actually ride.
yup. pretty much came to the same conclusion. after a lot of experimenting and transferring contact points. i know how I feel. aint the same. not even close. right now the merlin takes the cake. looking good, clean pal. DK is mr. consistent.

Last edited by weisan; 08-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM
ZhugeLiang

Not trying to steal DK's thunder. I was so inspired by the pictures posted here - that I just have to go into the garage and take this thing off its peg and admire. We are so blessed. All these great options available to us. Grandmssters of their craft. Passing the torch. Generations.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM

Saw Dave's latest on IG today. Wow, looking forward to seeing how you get this painted...
Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Saw Dave's latest on IG today. Wow, looking forward to seeing how you get this painted...
It's looking pretty real now - just some bosses and clean-up.. I better get going on the paint decisions. Which means finally telling my wife about it

Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 PM

Clean that Kirk is looking really nice. What I really like about Dave's bikes is his custom steel fork made for each bike. Not some carbon generic most builders put on steel frames today. The build of a steel fork custom made to fit the bike and its intended riding is becoming a lost art. Looking forward to your take when you have had plenty of time in the saddle.