Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Dura Ace A bike of this magnitude deserves 12 spd. Campy
Dunno. The Campy 12 just doesn't look good to me. And I can't see it not being finicky. I'll still have Campy on a bike, just not this one...not out the gate anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 PM

Wow, just ran into this thread and I'm so excited for you, Clean! I'm particularly intrigued by Dave's posts on another thread about disc vs rim and your choice to go mid-reach rim brakes for your MRB (love that nomenclature!)

I'm pondering deeply what to do for my next bike, and it's compounded by feeling like my Hampsten Titanio Gran Paradiso feels particularly dialed in this summer and wondering if I can really top it.

Of course, I also am thinking I'd like to be able to run larger tires, maybe up to 38, without giving up the ability to run a nice carbon race wheel for fast group days.

Weisan-pal, you must be inside my head on Belgian blue graphics. I have serveral of those Zanc and Gaulzetti images already in my "paint to consider next time" folder.

And you know, Clean, Campy 11 would look phenomenal on this one -- you don't have to fall for the "more is better so go 12" bait.

Will eagerly follow the progress here and can hardly wait to see Dave's final product.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 PM

campy 10 is the best, you know what to do
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
campy 10 is the best, you know what to do
Well yes, and I do have a spare Record 10 group that's pretty NOS looking.. Even has the integrated computer to tell me what gear I'm in

Can't really go wrong. Will just see what mood I'm in when it gets here.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Wow, just ran into this thread and I'm so excited for you, Clean! I'm particularly intrigued by Dave's posts on another thread about disc vs rim and your choice to go mid-reach rim brakes for your MRB (love that nomenclature!)

I'm pondering deeply what to do for my next bike, and it's compounded by feeling like my Hampsten Titanio Gran Paradiso feels particularly dialed in this summer and wondering if I can really top it.

Of course, I also am thinking I'd like to be able to run larger tires, maybe up to 38, without giving up the ability to run a nice carbon race wheel for fast group days.

Weisan-pal, you must be inside my head on Belgian blue graphics. I have serveral of those Zanc and Gaulzetti images already in my "paint to consider next time" folder.

And you know, Clean, Campy 11 would look phenomenal on this one -- you don't have to fall for the "more is better so go 12" bait.

Will eagerly follow the progress here and can hardly wait to see Dave's final product.
I don't know that I'd try to top your Hampsten - if you have a different itch that it isn't scratching, go looking for what hits that niche just right, and let your Hampsten be right for what it's right for...which is probably the fast group-ride machine.

I want this Kirk to be my quintessential road bike for how I ride in the real world on a day-to-day basis. I ride crappy roads. I ride a lot of hills. And I like a lively feel and quick-handling wheels in the 28c range. I wanted all steel. And going with discs would have meant compromises in ride quality and weight for no real reason. If I was doing a gravel rig or wanting to run really fat tires, different story.

I am eagerly awaiting the final product too. I've been getting daily updates of the progress and expect the bare frame will be ready pretty soon - I just don't have a feel for what JB's backlog is for painting it...
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Yeah, you definitely don't want that Ellis anymore. (Licks lips, gets out wallet.)
I'll let you know.. It's the most beautiful and sublime riding machine I've experienced to date, but what DK is building me will overlap with it pretty significantly. I'm hoping I can keep it around regardless. Time will tell.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

I just don't have a feel for what JB's backlog is for painting it...
When Roxann got her Kirk earlier this year it took about a month from the time Dave sent the frame to JB until he got it back to send to us. I think that was about the same amount of time JB had our other 2 Kirks a few years ago.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 AM

I know you will do the right thing, you always build a good looking bicycle.

Quote:
Well yes, and I do have a spare Record 10 group that's pretty NOS looking.. Even has the integrated computer to tell me what gear I'm in

Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I'll let you know.. It's the most beautiful and sublime riding machine I've experienced to date, but what DK is building me will overlap with it pretty significantly. I'm hoping I can keep it around regardless. Time will tell.
I'd love to own an Ellis someday (still kicking myself for letting that Ellis single speed pass by a year ago), but in all seriousness I hope you keep it.

Two things are certain:
1.) Your Kirk is going to be frickin awesome
2.) It won't be the same as the Ellis. Each will have its own personality, even if they serve the same purpose.

Nothing wrong with having two fantastic all-around road bikes if you have the means. Match your bike to your mood that day. Bikes aren't wives, we're allowed to have more than one, and they don't even hold it against us.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:

No go campy 11 so you can sell me that 10speed group!

I thought the point was you were finally going custom and that means your bike was turned up to 11, so you know it seems fitting...pun intended.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
No go campy 11 so you can sell me that 10speed group!

I thought the point was you were finally going custom and that means your bike was turned up to 11, so you know it seems fitting...pun intended.
Ha ha, if you need it, PM me, and I'll take some pics. I'm trying to get rid of anything I'm not actively using (other than the Chorus 10 silver group I have squirreled away for my upcoming Rock Lobster custom...there, now that cat's out of the bag...).
Old 08-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
I'd love to own an Ellis someday (still kicking myself for letting that Ellis single speed pass by a year ago), but in all seriousness I hope you keep it.

Two things are certain:
1.) Your Kirk is going to be frickin awesome
2.) It won't be the same as the Ellis. Each will have its own personality, even if they serve the same purpose.

Nothing wrong with having two fantastic all-around road bikes if you have the means. Match your bike to your mood that day. Bikes aren't wives, we're allowed to have more than one, and they don't even hold it against us.
I think the Ellis would do well as a racing-oriented setup, or hammer-bike. I can ride it a little more forward with less setback and more drop, maybe some traditional-bend bars, and put some carbon tubbies on it. They'd then be not so close and it'd be easier to justify having both. It's funny, the Ellis fits big tires, but I feel like it rides best with a bit skinnier ones - like in the 26-28c range.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 PM

What mid-reach brakes are you thinking about? I know you recently sold a set of V-Os, had you tried them?

Curious because my next bike will likely be very similar too this and I've no experience with MRBs, other than Paul Racer Ms, slowing my 1/8 ton on a 50 mph descent.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
What mid-reach brakes are you thinking about? I know you recently sold a set of V-Os, had you tried them?

Curious because my next bike will likely be very similar too this and I've no experience with MRBs, other than Paul Racer Ms, slowing my 1/8 ton on a 50 mph descent.
Well, that depends.

The VO Gran Cru are very nice for a retro application and work well - just didn't need them for the Ellis once I went to R8000.

Wages built the Ellis to maximize the clearance under a standard reach brake, so the pads on the R8000 brakes are at the very bottom (or close to it), and as a result, it fits 32c Compass tires on 25mm HED rims - which blow out to more like 35mm actual... And are overkill for what I ride on the road, but still underkill for what I really need on the rocky firetrails or logging roads around here...plus the Ellis' geometry isn't optimized for that.

Anyway, Dave is building my Kirk to accept mid-reach brakes (47-57), and I imagine to have the pads positioned around the middle, or maybe lower part of the slot. This should give me room to run my 28-30c tires w/ or w/o fenders, where the standard reach probably would have put me into 25c w/ fenders. If I get lucky, the DA9100 brakes will just barely reach, or the FSA K-Force ones I picked up might (newest version); otherwise, and most likely, it'll probably be TRP 957s.

End of the day, I decided I'd rather take a chance on having too much clearance than too little. There weren't really any negative tradeoffs since all we were talking about was moving where the brakes were placed, not messing with angles or chainstay length or anything like that.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:14 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmByjBoh...=1c57yqi5c7uhp

Watching her come to life on IG (and in updates sent to my inbox from Dave) has been pretty dang sweet - don't know how many other builders do this, but it sure is a classy and appreciated touch that cranks the "customer service" score past 11.

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-03-2018 at 04:16 PM.