Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-31-2018, 12:41 AM

Kirk MRB - 2018

Finally. After 18-months of being told to "go get a custom already", I done did it.

I can't remember the exact timing, but I think it was the day that PDonk was out here in Portland awaiting his SV fit and the conversation that day while we were touring the city I think got me to finally send in my deposit to get on the list.

I figured it was going to be a good long while before my turn in line would be up, so I kept fiddling with other builds and buys and commitments...and then out of the blue I get a telegram from Bozeman saying a spot had unexpectedly opened up in the build queue and would I like to take it? Well, yes. Of course I would.

I'll spare the details about my cold feet and indecision for now - stainless or painted, lugged or fillets, fenders or bare...these are the questions that try men's souls - and just say that Dave has been incredible to work with...patient with my first-timer questions and super helpful in getting me through the info-gathering and decision process...not just explaining what, but also why, and a bit of how. To all those who said I'd be in good hands, you were right...and then some.

So now I've got a design locked-in that I'm confident is going to be just right for me. It's an MRB-ish setup, with mid-reach brakes and fender mounts, but pretty straightforward spring-classics geo, not too relaxed, not too aggressive. I plan to ride it with 28s or 30s on 25s, but wanted the extra space for versatility and fender room. We already had the chainstay length there, so it was really just a matter of where to put the brakes relative to the rims, and how long the fork would be (and then adjustments to the HT length). Tubing spec'd for my weight and ride purpose...of course...some OS, some regular. And Terraplanes, with fillets pulling it all together.

Next up - gotta figure out exactly what I want to do with the paint...have some ideas for the design, probably like this, just not set on what three colors I want to group together on it. This means talking to my wife about it...which is dangerous territory...I need her artist input, but that could lead to some detailed questions...maybe too detailed...

Oh yeah, and I gotta pick out some parts too.

Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW midreach, 595 ST copy.jpg (98.1 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-18-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 AM

I have a feeling this will be a long thread....

I'm looking forward to watching this build.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 AM

the decisions can be hard, lol! Hust a few years back I thought I'd ride skinny road tire bikes on ultegra brakes forever, ok, well maybe something w/ the Velo orange grand cru's....swore off canti's forever. Now there's mid reach, fat tires, discs, yada yada...
Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
gotta figure out exactly what I want to do with the paint...have some ideas for the design, probably like this,
Congratulation Clean pal on getting to this point in your quest and journey.

In keeping up with the tradition that we are all "enablers" here in this community, I got some paint ideas/samples for you to consider, hopefully it helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 645cd380ad57ee51efb50f033d7b87a1.jpg (121.4 KB, 1259 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-Jun-02-4-46-24-PM-e1341521602470.jpg (141.1 KB, 1255 views)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

For some reason, I always picture you as a white knight.

I think this was a record-setting high watermark.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 AM

That Zanconato with the red logos is incredible!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 AM

Congrats Dan. Looking forward to this thread for sure!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 AM

Congrats. I think it's a smart move. There's something special about having a bike made for you. Like having your own child, versus babysitting the neighbor's kid.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
It's an MRB-ish setup, with mid-reach brakes
Why not ask Dave pal to incorporate both disc and rim brake mounts into the build? That way, you don't have to choose, you can have the whole cake.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 AM

Congrats, I'm subscribed!! Look forward to following this and to be honest, its one of my favorite things about this forum.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM

Glad I could be of assistance.

For me it was between a Kirk or a Speedvagen. My wife preferred the looks of the SV and wanted to take a trip to Portland.

A suggestion for your bike - if you can't decide between fillet and lugs ask if he'll do bilam for for you.

Hopefully Dave is still building in 5-7 years when i can justify trying to explain the "need" for a new bike.

Last edited by pdonk; 07-31-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added an option
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM

Sounds like a great setup so far and a lot of fun. I envy/don't envy some of the aesthetic decision-making possibilities; I would love to dwell on a variety of schemes, but then probably find myself dwelling too long. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Paint is something I've always struggled with, both for bikes and custom sea kayaks. I guess it is because geometry and specs are technical and paint is emotional. It can be a fine line between loving it and what the **** was I thinking.

I was lucky to find a used Kirk in my size, great bike.

Good luck with yours and the paint decision.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 AM

right on, this will be fun
Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 AM

Congratulations.

Thats a really really nice choice of bike and builder and you certainly seem to need a custom that tix all your boxes. Lord knows a lot of bikes have not

Looking forward to updates, enjoy not only the bike but the process .)