Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
perhaps. it's worth noting that through his own process and testing, he's ended up in the same place as everyone else (longer top tube, shorter stem and slacker front) just several years later. progressive mtb design was a trend maybe 10 years ago, when everyone was telling Keith scott he was crazy to spec a trail bike with a 67* HTA and laughing at mondrakers's ridiculously long top tubes and short stems ... now its pretty much consensus
What I respect and paid for was how he got there and not when he got there. You learn a lot more than the best angles when you prototype your own bikes.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-23-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
What I respect and paid for was how he got there and not when he got there.
you could have had that for free just by reading his blog

Quote:
damn that is one seriously good looking bike

Last edited by boomforeal; 07-23-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Head tube angle appears to be 69

The geo for your 44 and the geo for my Rick Hunter are strikingly similar. Although I'm just noticing the actual TT measurement and yours is a good 1.5'' longer, but angles HT proportion etc look very similar.

Its like my Hunter is yours shrunk down by 80%

Last edited by jtakeda; 07-23-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
The geo for your 44 and the geo for my Rick Hunter are strikingly similar. Although I'm just noticing the actual TT measurement and yours is a good 1.5'' longer, but angles HT proportion etc look very similar.

Its like my Hunter is yours shrunk down by 80%
I have really long arms like 6’4 wing span on a 6’1 body. What I really like about this bike is in the past i always was between a M and a L because of those long arms. This fit really fits me well.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:00 PM

44 design

Kris 44'd out the design to his philosophy but he kept the fit the same-

It would be equivalent to a 635mm top tube, with a steeper seat angle and 100mm stem.
72 degree seat angle and 80mm stem requires the 676mm/ 26.62 inch top tube.

IMO- some things are radical about the design but fit is straight forward and this bike is made to ride everything!

Quote:
As you can tell the details of the bike I was not interested in. I was fitted by Whole Athlete in San Anselmo, CA (btw they had 4 winners and 6 podium finishes last weekend at MTB Nationals). Kris took the measurements and designed and built the bike with my limited input. It turned out great.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Pink is the new Lord of Darkness.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:58 PM

69* head angle and 72* seat angle is just about perfect, IMO. I've enjoyed Jones bikes for a handful of years now and part of his philosophy is to provide a rear-ward bias to take pressure off the hands and make the front lift over obstacles easily. Nicely done, Kris!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad2TnR View Post
69* head angle and 72* seat angle is just about perfect, IMO. I've enjoyed Jones bikes for a handful of years now and part of his philosophy is to provide a rear-ward bias to take pressure off the hands and make the front lift over obstacles easily. Nicely done, Kris!
what you are describing it exactly is what is happening when I ride. Kris killed it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
what you are describing it exactly is what is happening when I ride. Kris killed it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Seems like the trend these days is slacken out the head tube and steepen the seat tube, so that you end up with a 67*/74* bike. I've found that I much prefer the slacker seat tube, but then again, I don't do a ton of climbing in my part of the country. Perhaps that's where the steep seat tube is beneficial.

To each his own. Awesome that Kris nailed it for you. That's alot of money to spend on something that doesn't hit the mark.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Radical?

It is amusing that you guys see this bike as a radical design.
The only thing radical about the geometry is the short chain stays and curved seat tube.
Everything else is pretty normal.
If you normalize for the 72 degree seat angle with a zero setback post- You get a very neutral seat position and pretty neutral reach.
This bike is made with very sound fundamentals so it can be ridden in many conditions.

That said, the bike has a rad look, builder is in fact rad (but sensible), and the owner is rad for sure!

Maybe new school kids would call this 80mm stem long?
Old 07-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Vendor

I want my next bike to be pink.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
It is amusing that you guys see this bike as a radical design.
The only thing radical about the geometry is the short chain stays and curved seat tube.
Everything else is pretty normal.
If you normalize for the 72 degree seat angle with a zero setback post- You get a very neutral seat position and pretty neutral reach.
This bike is made with very sound fundamentals so it can be ridden in many conditions.

That said, the bike has a rad look, builder is in fact rad (but sensible), and the owner is rad for sure!

Maybe new school kids would call this 80mm stem long?
Who on this thread said it was radical? Consensus seems to be that it’s pretty much an ideal balanced XC style geo and a beautiful looking bike (both of which I agree with). The only confusion was about the head angle, and 64 degrees would have been very slack for an XC-style hardtail but that turned out not to be the actual hta.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Read above what people are saying about the slack seat angle- Not realizing that in this case it does not make for a slack bike.

I am in your camp- I think this is ideal XC and very well designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Who on this thread said it was radical? Consensus seems to be that it’s pretty much an ideal balanced XC style geo and a beautiful looking bike (both of which I agree with). The only confusion was about the head angle, and 64 degrees would have been very slack for an XC-style hardtail but that turned out not to be the actual hta.