Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 06-04-2017, 12:19 PM

man i love this thing

Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM

made a few little changes and getting this thing ready for another flight and an 11 day adventure. After this upcoming trip I have a new lighter lower spoke count wheelset and Ultegra 11 group waiting for it. I do love the xtr stuff and downtube shifters so that will all go to another bike. Or I'll buy another frame to have a place to put it But think its time I go brifter on this bike.
I do love the patina I've acquired over the years but half considering when I rebuild everything with fresh new stuff to ask someone to make a few holes for me to do internal dynamo routing front and rear and then have the bike re-powder coated.

redid the rear dynamo light and luckily had this little chainring piece handy (interferes with the brake w/o it)

front end is quite busy
Old 11-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Administrator

nice. i love that fork.

love the chainring mount too, brilliant!

where are you two heading?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks Angry
Vamos a Oaxaca Mexico!
5 days or so in Oaxaca city and 11 days riding around from the city over and through the mountains to and along the coast and back.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Administrator

that sounds great, and a good escape from the cold!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Thanks Angry
Vamos a Oaxaca Mexico!
5 days or so in Oaxaca city and 11 days riding around from the city over and through the mountains to and along the coast and back.
K was telling me about this trip. Sounds fun. We were planning on trying to head to Mexico City as well and maybe go up Paso de Cortez but I don't think that's happening anymore =/
Old 11-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nice. i love that fork.

where are you two heading?
That looks painful in a crash! Very cool bike - it is how bikes are supposed to be used.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalrey View Post
K was telling me about this trip. Sounds fun. We were planning on trying to head to Mexico City as well and maybe go up Paso de Cortez but I don't think that's happening anymore =/
Yea I'm getting excite. I'll send along beta afterwards just to entice you. Either one sounds like a great trip for the new FF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
That looks painful in a crash! Very cool bike - it is how bikes are supposed to be used.
thanks! And I suppose it would be possible I end up with a few extra marks from that mount in the event of a crash, but I think it's less likely to cause damage than the actual chainrings. But I shall just not crash to avoid that issue. (last trip this bike took I did have a pretty good crash so the crash quota is filled for now)
Old 11-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nice. i love that fork.

My thoughts, exactly! It looks like you are getting plenty of good use, too. That developing patina is sexy- like laugh lines around the eyes... only getting better looking.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 PM

back from Mexico w/ my Rick Jones and forum friend jdp & it was a blast. Some of his shots that captured my bike...

Old 01-07-2019, 09:25 AM

That looks like a great trip. That looks like the coffee growing region of mexico. Im sure you had some of their great coffee.
I would love to do a trip like that at some point before I get toooo old. We are planning a trip to VA this year down the blue ridge parkway or skyline drive. Looking at a 5 day trip,just got to figure out the particulars.

Last edited by skiezo; 01-07-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 AM

It is also where Mazcal comes from and amazing cooking in general. It's hot and dry all the time.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

We did stop in Pluma Hidalgo, a coffee growing town, and stayed in San Jose del Pacifico - also in that region but famous for something else To be honest, I never had a coffee there that was incredible but it was still pretty good, and I may just be pretty particular in my tastes. I also was more focused on other things like the mezcal which was plentiful, very cheap, and much of it surprisingly incredibly smooth. I also discovered pulque which is my new favorite beverage. The food and drink overall is VERY good and VERY interesting. And VERY cheap. Ugh I miss it already.

The climate up in the mountains was really ideal for riding. Sunny every single day, just slightly crisp in the mornings and evenings. Strong sun but not humid and it was comfortable during the day. Down on the coast at sea level it was comparatively hot.

The riding was very cool, but not at all leisurely. Our roads were mostly completely empty but when there were cars the drivers were surprisingly considerate. The people in general were astoundingly nice, friendly, and welcoming to the point of it being comical at times. The riding was bloody hard though. Mountains everywhere and many of the roads were at obscene gradients. Somehow the hardest day was the day we descended 10k ft down to the coast because during the course of that we climbed 5 or 6k and it was really tough climbing, especially with a loaded bike. Did a couple day rides with the bikes unloaded and even then there was pushing of the bikes up these ridiculously steep dirt roads. I'd fully recommend it as a destination for riding but just know what you're getting yourself into and plan out rides. My favorite day was a day ride out of Teotitlan del Valle that was just one continuous 5k ft climb up a paved road and then back down an absolutely incredible dirt road. And take a bike that is at home in the gravel bikes thread. I was on 35 mm Gravel King SK's but I enjoy underbiking, and that I was.