Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Literally Stiff

Try doing it with nine kids!

The story of the Paskowitz family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmhxRVR9dqI
Old 09-22-2020, 04:00 PM

That's quite an introduction. Quick everybody help a brother out on his first post.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
"Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.
Read that many years ago and really enjoyed it. I had a cocker spaniel named Charlie at the time, adopted him from a friend, but did not travel much with him.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEmerick View Post
Alarm!
I really need your help!
Now I am in the village near Minnesota and my car need food! I have no petrol!!!
Can u pls text me any company which can help me to drive my car from 351 Road to the nearest petrol station
Thxs
Sure, we can text you. Post your phone number.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Is that your van? More pics and info needed-
Speedvagen has its armoured truck.
https://bikerumor.com/2012/10/15/fou...y-to-the-bank/
Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEmerick View Post
Alarm!
I really need your help!
Now I am in the village near Minnesota and my car need food! I have no petrol!!!
Can u pls text me any company which can help me to drive my car from 351 Road to the nearest petrol station
Thxs
troll(?)

But for living in a camper..find this on YouTube..couple living in a camper on top of a LandRover Defender...5 years or so and counting..stuck in Japan..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL7...WiJUMl3vjIN_1Q
Old 09-23-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshi View Post
I have a Sprinter and I'm in this wayyyyyy less than what everyone is ball parking. It's actually a really great build too: soundproofed, insulated, storage, removable bed, separate battery bank, solar and a few other niceties. I don't have a 4x4 which kept cost down but I live in So. California so no real need for it. I also have the low roof because I plan to do the same pop top as pictured down the road but in the mean time it's totally functional as is.

Such a great setup for quick MTB excursions out of town.
My kids are begging me for one of these types of vans. a) we have no $$ for this and b) we have no need other than for a weekend here or there with ONE kid somewhere that really isnt that far off the beaten track.

I know someone with a Sprinter that is totally pimped out and it is pretty cool though. Dream vehicle for a single explorer for sure.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

JamesEmerick as you appear to be here only to spam your profile is being deleted.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:53 PM

A guy from this forum (ebaumann) did something similar to this a few years ago. Seem to recall he bought a used sprinter van, did his own conversion and then hit the road for an extended road trip. Pretty sure he posted about it here and though I'm not much of an Instagram user, I follow him (bauvann). Looks like he's had some pretty epic adventures with his girlfriend and a cat name Eddy Purrckx

Mike
Old 09-23-2020, 02:59 PM

I’m just afraid to drink this Particular cool-aide.

I mean, the vans are cool and all, but to spend as much as my first house on a van?

If I could work remotely and be gone like 6 months out of the year then I’d give it a go. I’m lucky to get four weeks a year vacation though, and I don’t want to spend half of that time driving to my happy spot.

This fad seems like the next evolution of the tiny house thing of a few years ago.

I spent the night in my land rover One time on a hunting trip and I’m afraid that is the closest I will come to camper van, overland, etc lifestyle.

I like temperature controlled hotels with hot running water and a breakfast buffet. And planes are great to get places.

If I want Remote nature I’ll drive to a trail head and tent camp hike from there.

Ymmv
Old 09-23-2020, 05:26 PM

A few years back, my oldest son and I rented a 3rd generation Toyota Sienna in Alaska, removed the rear seats, and van-camped for a couple of weeks. He's 6'9" and had plenty of room to stretch out.

I came home from that trip and sold my '08 FJ Cruiser and ultimately bought two 2nd generation Sienna's with the money. My 2004 had 95k on it and I picked it up for $7000. I had the full service done, including timing belt, for another $850.

My build ran me about $300. I removed all the seats, put down a plywood floor, and built a bed frame. It's perfect for 1, but can accommodate 2...especially if you pack a tent/hammock. The best money spent on other items was for a Caframo 12v fan that draws 1/2 amp, and a supremely comfortable Exped air/foam mattress. I have spent many nights over the past 2 years sleeping soundly in my van after a full day of fly fishing on the South Holston River in TN. I usually stay in campgrounds as I'm fond of showers, but have boondocked lots of places.

The bed platform is easily removed and I have a cargo van for the bikes or whatever. I typically get close to 24 mpg.

My point is you can get into this for a lot less money than many folks think. I'm not ready to give up my home, but for weekend and week long getaways, it's the ticket.

And that son moved to Idaho and bought his own Sienna which he built up incorporating solar and a fridge. We had lots of fun swapping notes and ideas along the way.

Last edited by Exonerv; 09-24-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums....php?tid=23928

a friend of mine did that. i hope to follow his path one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 03:41 AM

Love the concept of van life, big fan. Much respect to those out there that are able to create a sustainable lifestyle on the road.

But when the kid in the article got a “job” for his “family’s business” that had been “sold” as an “office manager” and he is “working remotely”... that’s not a sustainable lifestyle, that’s a safety net courtesy of rich parents.

Lame.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:20 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerv View Post
a Caframo 12v fan that draws 1/2 amp

I am doing the same thing with my 2008 Honda Odyssey, got everything figured out except the internal ventilation. For now, I am using homemade window mesh to cover up the windows when they are down to prevent bugs from coming in. I am curious about your fan setup, any pictures? Do you keep it on during the night drawing power from the car battery?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I am doing the same thing with my 2008 Honda Odyssey, got everything figured out except the internal ventilation. For now, I am using homemade window mesh to cover up the windows when they are down to prevent bugs from coming in. I am curious about your fan setup, any pictures? Do you keep it on during the night drawing power from the car battery?
You would want to investigate a dual battery setup with a second battery that’s designed to run appliances (not crank a motor)