Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Which is your preferred torque wrench for low values, i.e. max 3Nm? Thanks
I bought a Uyecove torque wrench and sockets from Amazon. It was about $60. It is 200 inch-pound/22.6 Nm, and I could dial in 3 Nm easily with the right reading glasses. After I got the torque wrench, I backed off every fastener on the bike and torqued it according to SRAM or Ritchey. The Ritchey one bolt and the FD mounting bolt actually take much more torque than I would have applied without a torque wrench. I swapped out the Red 33/46 for a 35/48 powermeter, and the torque wrench was handy for all the small fasteners.

Since I retorqued all the fasteners a year ago, I only hear the tires scrubbing on the pavement and the occasional rub of a disc because SRAM discs are inferior to Shimano, IMO.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalwildrako View Post
What alternatives to the min.d do you consider?

FWIW, I test rode a Giant Contend and didn't like the tall stack. Obviously a huge price difference, there.

Since I service my own bikes, I'd prefer NOT routing hydraulic brakes through the headset.
It’s a good question and I ask for the same feedback. I’ve mostly been looking at all road or road with more clearance bikes and a few gravel bikes. Ideally I want around 35mm tire clearance but am ok with more.

Enve Melee, factor ostro, Orbea Orca OMR/X, Open UP/UPPER, current gen stigmata (I had previous and really liked it and curious of new), and ibis Hakka Mx are on my short list.

I was going to get a chapter 2 kaha but the delivery date was pushed and that is out.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I bought a Uyecove torque wrench and sockets from Amazon. It was about $60. It is 200 inch-pound/22.6 Nm, and I could dial in 3 Nm easily with the right reading glasses. After I got the torque wrench, I backed off every fastener on the bike and torqued it according to SRAM or Ritchey. The Ritchey one bolt and the FD mounting bolt actually take much more torque than I would have applied without a torque wrench. I swapped out the Red 33/46 for a 35/48 powermeter, and the torque wrench was handy for all the small fasteners.

Since I retorqued all the fasteners a year ago, I only hear the tires scrubbing on the pavement and the occasional rub of a disc because SRAM discs are inferior to Shimano, IMO.
Thanks. I have been using the effeto mariposa that starts a 2nm.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalwildrako View Post
What alternatives to the min.d do you consider?

FWIW, I test rode a Giant Contend and didn't like the tall stack. Obviously a huge price difference, there.

Since I service my own bikes, I'd prefer NOT routing hydraulic brakes through the headset.
Open seems to stick to their formula great looking bikes that ride amazing but have fit, finish, QC and operational issues

As for what else, so many bikes now have 32+ tire clearance, great ride quality and nice geo at low weight. If you don’t want a race geo bike like the Aethos, TCR, or if you want more relaxed geo something like the Endurace CFR or even the Crux will probably work. Or maybe the soloist, although it’s kind of internally routed.

But would look for geo first before figuring out bike frame.