Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 01:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I wanted to share a piece Bicycling published on my recovery from cancer. Late last year I was diagnosed with leukemia and I spent a month in-patient at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I spent months doing out-patient chemo and credit my remission and full recovery to cycling. Here's hoping my experience can help others with their journey with cancer.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a2...ay-motivation/
Congratulations in beating it. I need to finish reading the article but what I read so far was fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Unfortunately, unlike you my cancer (pancreatic neuroendocrine) same thing that got Steve Jobs remains "incurable." So every so often, in addition to oral chemo, have to do some form of procedure to minimize tumor burden.

That being said, nearly 10yrs on now since diagnosis and like the OP, attributed a good part of that to cycling.

Happy trails everyone!
Wishing you the best.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Great story, and good for you!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Great story, good luck in the future and keep on riding!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 PM

I sent a link to the article to a pal from Bradenton who is undergoing 100 days of chemo following a bone marrow transplant at MD Anderson in Houston. His prognosis it also good.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Congrats on your remission and inspirational story ... will share with a cyclist friend who's now in chemo therapy.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 PM

Bob, thank you so much for sharing this with us. I can't even begin to imagine what you and your family went through.

Hang tough, be strong, ride fast!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Fantastic. Thanks you!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story Bob, it was inspirational and your grit and determination really came through in the piece. Here's to many years of you being able to swing a leg over a saddle!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Anytime anyone beats any cancer, it's a good thing for all of us. Rock on!, as they say. Continued good health, sir.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Unfortunately, unlike you my cancer (pancreatic neuroendocrine) same thing that got Steve Jobs remains "incurable." So every so often, in addition to oral chemo, have to do some form of procedure to minimize tumor burden.

That being said, nearly 10yrs on now since diagnosis and like the OP, attributed a good part of that to cycling.

Happy trails everyone!
Damn, man. That uncertainty must be really tough for those that love you, and for you to live that way. At 10 years, I'm sure you've figured out how to live with it, but for sure you are mentally stronger than me.

Good luck man. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:09 PM
Retired!

Congratulations, Bob, and continued good health for you. 🥂

Kevin g
Old 06-15-2019, 05:31 AM

Stay strong and stay healthy, Bob--and same for other Paceliners dealing with health issues...

While I don't think cycling is going to keep us from dying, I do think have decent base level fitness makes more resilient in dealing with the shock brought on by illness or trauma.

Plus--when I was getting my parting instructions at the ER about diet and exercise, my wife piped up and said "Don't worry about him, he's doing all that already." The response from the Resident was priceless "Unlike the rest of our patients then."

We forget sometimes that just by having made the connection between our actions (exercise, diet) and long-term health--and doing something about it!--we are in the minority of Americans...
Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Thanks everyone. Much of my perspective on things has changed and the one big shift is I don't just view cycling as something fun but it's now something I consider a life changer in the face of cancer. Everyone seems to be touched by cancer unfortunately and the healthier you are when you are diagnosed the better your out come.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Bob, that makes two of us! Congratulations on your recovery. In November of 1998 at 46 years old I was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. Like you, I was slow as could be on the bike. In October of that year I did the Seagull century and riders kept dropping back to pull me up to the group. I thought I was just getting old. I was pancytopenic so I had no oxygen carrying capacity. After a bone marrow biopsy, I was admitted and received three days of Idarubicin and seven days of Cytarabine through a triple lumen central line. After that I got sick as could be because I had no defense against infection (no white cells). I got multiple antibiotics and an antifungal called amphotericin, but couldn't get Epogen because the red blood cells are in the myeloid cell line and they thought it may bring back the AML. I did get Neupogen to bring the white cells back though. I kept the central line in first remission and received high-dose cytarabine through it. Interestingly, I worked with the line in and the chemo pump strapped to me. My oncologist said that that was the first time he had a patient do that. Also, I got septic from the central line and got Vancomycin and some other heavy hitter antibiotic. Sepsis will kill you by itself and doesn't need the cancer to help out. I was sicker during that time than during the chemo - I was delerious saying nonsense stuff. Anyway, eventually I got back on the bike and struggled to get 12 mph for a short ride. Also like you, I credit the bike in part for pulling me through it. This November it will be 21 years in the past and my wife and I are still doing metric century rides on most weekends during the season. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by dcama5; 06-16-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Tags
cancer, leukemia