Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Orange Seal or Stans Race have both been good to me!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Stan's and orange seal have served me well over the past couple of years.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 10:44 PM

I haven't tried Stan's Race, but I hear good things about it. Orange Seal Endurance works great, and seems to last a long time without drying up, as it advertises. If you're curious about a homebrew, I've been using this recipe for years. It's comparable to regular Stan's, high pressure is no problem.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Administrator

well, i set up my gravel bike wheels tubeless last night with mavic branded sealant. off to the garage in a few minutes to see how they held up overnight.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:17 AM

Giant Sealant

My Giant TCR Advance SL 0 came with Giant CF wheels with Giant tires mounted and Giant brand sealant, so far so good...
Old 06-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
We experimented with the hot-shot Finish Line sealant when it first came out but it didn't seal as promised.
Agreed. I had no luck with it. The one thing I can say is that it easily wipes clean out of the tire, no rigorous cleaning necessary before replacing it with a proper sealant.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:52 AM

I've used with none standing out as better:
Mavic's sealant that came with the wheelset
Stans
Orange Seal
Serfas

Just want to add my experience to see if many have the same with similar tire size setups...I think even with the drawbacks tubeless is still worth it, but for some it may not be.

I live in AZ, bike is in a non climate controlled garage but its never super hot, below 100 mostly

Tires are 30-32mm in size. PSI 45/55

Sealant lasts about one month but I've stretched it to two or three when just commuting in the cooler months.

It definitely does not seal all flats. Mine are typically from breaking the seal though when hitting rocks, etc. very hard. I double flatted this Sunday in very remote AZ on a descent crossing a dry stream bed at speed. slammed into rocks, unavoidable...

I find the tire pressure to be low enough to smooth things out. any higher why bother? they ride stiff. But cant go lower or will risk dinging the rim or rolling the tire under hard cornering. Unfortunately the pressure is not high enough to avoid bottoming out still under extreme conditions, which I'm finding myself in more and more these days...Then the seal breaks and the higher PSI flies right out the side of the tire and you are left with 10psi in seconds...

my solution is to get a bike that takes larger tires that will be more suitable for the conditions I ride in.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 06-14-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM

I like Orange Seal...the original formula, not the "endurance" formula. If you are talking about road tubeless, the endurance formula, which has more water, does not seal as well at high pressures.

I had Stan's eat my spoke nipples over a couple of years of use.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

I had said stans or orange seal but I am changing my opinion.

I think Orange Seal is better. I just a a pretty big slash on my tire a few days ago. Tons of sealand was spraying out of the tire but eventually sealed, I got to ride home on like 30 psi (I was close). Pumped the tire back up and rode the bike for 2 days and the tire is now back to 30 psi. Found the cut (had not even looked at it), its huge... I cannot believe orange seal was able to seal that cut, no way stans would have been able to do that. I now set up the tire tubed because that was not going to last, I could see the sealant bugger through the cut and if I pressed it leaked air and more sealant. Still, the fact that it was able to seal it is pretty impressive (I guess someone earlier said that orange seal is better for bigger cuts).

I love tubeless but I get so sad when I get a big cut and pretty much will run this tire tubbed because I am too lazy to fix it and set it up tubeless again... I mean this tire will get fixed with some shoe glue and then will be used for maybe another 300-500 miles at most.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

My go to has become Orange Seal Endurance.
I only run lower pressure tires gravel or mtb tubeless so no idea if it's different for high PSI use.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 PM

I've been using only Orange Seal, so can't compare.

Have only needed it to save me once, that was off-road and put the front wheel into a tree so hard that it came apart at the seam. About a .020" offset at the rim joint that sputtered and spit for a few miles before it sealed as I limped that taco back to the car.

Limited experience but extremely positive.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 PM

Been using Stans for years. Seals and always worked when I needed it. You have to remember to top it off every once in a while (not sure what they recommend but I do once a year based on my low mileage). However, I got tired of the “snot” when I had to change tires so I did some research and heard Orange Seal doesn’t snot. I starting using OS with my Schwalbe Pro-Ones but don’t know if the snot claim is true and how good it seals. Hopefully I won’t get into a situation to test the latter.

Also, here’s a tip: bring a couple paper towels on your ride if you can fit it (a lot easier mtb’ing), it makes it a ton easier to dry up the inside of a tire to put a tube in if you need to.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 PM

In NE Texas I was using a 50/50 mix of regular and race Stan's. When I moved to AZ, Orange Seal was highly recommended and so far so good. It seems to not evaporate as quickly.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM

I am a bit late, but I have been trying different sealants for the past three years in road/gravel tires so figured throw in my experience.

I have used Stan's Race formula the longest and have tried several sealants in between including the regular Stan's, Orange Endurance, Finish Line, Bontrager and just tried Muc-off for the first time this past weekend.

Overall Opinions:

Finish Line I will never use again. I bought a large bottle when it first came out, and I have been mostly disappointed. The appeal is that it allegedly never dries out, but it also has trouble sealing and plugging punctures. I can promise you it will not work at all on thin tires such as Compass/Rene Herse Tires.

Bontrager/Regular Stans are both great and come in small bottles to carry when you are traveling or doing a long touring ride. They seal fine, but don't seal larger punctures as well as Stan's Race or Orange Endurace. They do seem to both last longer in the tire and spread well inside. I also have topped off Stan's Race with Regular Stan's through the valve core so I don't have to remove the tire. Haven't had any issues doing that.

Stan's Race/Orange Endurance are my two go-to sealants. They clog almost anything. Things that they don't clog I plug with a dynaplug and keep pedaling. While they may dry out, I took my chances after over a year without adding new Stan's Race on my road tires and they still clog.

TBD on Mucoff, but I am excited to try it. Only note is that I just inflated two new Rene Herse Steilacoom tires with Orange Endurance in one and Mucoff in the other. The tire with Orange sealed up beautifully while the Mucoff had some issues holding air. Could be any number of reasons so I will be curious on how well they clog.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
well, i set up my gravel bike wheels tubeless last night with mavic branded sealant. off to the garage in a few minutes to see how they held up overnight.
Good success with the Mavic branded sealant. Did a gravel ride over the weekend with the new tubeless set-up. No problems and the wheels felt good. Definitely hit a gnarly edged rock too and felt rim contact. I think I would have flatted a tubed tire.

So far so good with gravel tubeless here.