Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Imagine jumping out of a car at 37 miles per hour. Damn. That's brutal. There is no video of the crash? One of those I don't want to see it but can't turn away type of things.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM

Regardless of whether you "like" Froome or not, he won four TdF's and a number of other events. He deserves our respect and, as sportsmen, our desire for his health as a competitor at a level that few of is will ever experience.

My personal best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Regardless of whether you "like" Froome or not, he won four TdF's and a number of other events. He deserves our respect and, as sportsmen, our desire for his health as a competitor at a level that few of is will ever experience.

My personal best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Well, that's not really it. I'm okay with him not being in the TDF but no way will I dance around on his hospital bed because of his misfortune.

Some here want to. I don't understand that sort of forum etiquette because these are the same people who will 'reach out' to another member they've never met after the read a thread about a broken collarbone...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Very sad to hear of such a serious crash for ANY bike rider! Sad for Froome and his fans as there is no denying he is one of the strongest cyclists in the world when he is at his best.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 AM
AZ Slowpoke

After a crash like that, I'm glad he's alive and wish him the best going forward.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.
Well said, can't believe anybody, upon hearing this awful and potentially career ending injury, would choose to mock his appearance or how he's done in 'bike races'..

'gallows humor'?? Yup, compound femur fractures and broken ribs, elbows are a laugh riot...err, not..

Speedy and complete(as possible) recovery for Chris...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-13-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well said, can't believe anybody, upon hearing this awful and potentially career ending injury, would choose to mock his appearance or how he's done in 'bike races'..

'gallows humor'?? Yup, compound femur fractures and broken ribs, elbows are a laugh riot...err, not..

Speedy and complete(as possible) recovery for Chris...
Amen.

Celebrating an injury of any sort is troubling and celebrating injuries this serious is disgusting.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM

Well said!!!

Quote:
Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
Everything is connected

When I see the pros crash and get hurt, it's always a friendly reminder to myself to respect the conditions that I'm riding in and to keep my bikes in the best possible condition that I can. Froome's incident sounds like it had noting to do with equipment and was unexpected, as I've been taken by surprise and spooked on occasion by a gust of wind...just not at the speeds that these folks compete in. Good karma to him and his family and a healthy recovery.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I have to offer a bit of pushback here. There is some momentum gathering that is shaming folks that are allegedly reveling in Froome's plight.

I have re-read all of the comments in this thread and I just don't see evidence that anyone has wished this injury on him.

The skinny Skeletor comment was perhaps in poor taste in this context, but the person that posted it is the same one that started the thread and has expressed horror at the injury. I saw a couple of comments about his his missing the TDF and what that means to the few that said these things. Again, nothing inferred revelry due to the personal injury.

Again, perhaps a bit insensitive given the context. Is there something specific that is bothering folks that I'm missing?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
Well, that's not really it. I'm okay with him not being in the TDF but no way will I dance around on his hospital bed because of his misfortune.

Some here want to.
Where are people making comments wishing him ill?

Edit: berserk87 beat me to it.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 AM
50 bpm

Think about the delta V of going from 54 kph to 0 kph in an instant. That's what happened. He hit a wall, the side of a house. This is unlike any other crash I can remember, worse than Beloki, worse than Vogt.

It's trite to say it but it's true: He is lucky to be alive. And considering the myriad injuries, here's hoping he has a normal, happy rest of his life. Cycling at this point is secondary.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I have to offer a bit of pushback here. There is some momentum gathering that is shaming folks that are allegedly reveling in Froome's plight.

I have re-read all of the comments in this thread and I just don't see evidence that anyone has wished this injury on him.

The skinny Skeletor comment was perhaps in poor taste in this context, but the person that posted it is the same one that started the thread and has expressed horror at the injury. I saw a couple of comments about his his missing the TDF and what that means to the few that said these things. Again, nothing inferred revelry due to the personal injury.

Again, perhaps a bit insensitive given the context. Is there something specific that is bothering folks that I'm missing?
OK, my post was not meant to imply that anyone was happy he was hurt. I was simply asking if commenting on peoples dislike of him as an athlete and how good it is that he is not racing, is not in good taste considering that the thread is about a serious injury.

I have no problem with any criticism of him as a rider and his effects on the sport etc... I did not see or say that anyone said or even imply that they were happy he was injured badly. I am not trolling or shaming. Just suggesting that we all recognize that there is a difference between Froome the person and Froome the rider. I am not a Froome/Sky fan at all, but find that joy about his absence from the tour or mocking his riding style and appearance in a thread about a catastrophic injury is perhaps not very graceful. I am not the moral police here, I am not calling people out specifically, I was only suggesting that we remember that he is a person like us, flawed and vulnerable.

Last edited by Black Dog; 06-13-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

This view seems over the top sensitive. We aren't signing a get well card for Froomie. It is not at all hard for a rational person on a bike related forum to jump from Froomie is injured = bad to the impact this will have on bike racing in the near future = good/bad/indifferent.

Quote:
OK, my post was not meant to imply that anyone was happy he was hurt. I was simply asking if commenting on peoples dislike of him as an athlete and how good it is that he is not racing, is not in good taste considering that the thread is about a serious injury.

I have no problem with any criticism of him as a rider and his effects on the sport etc... I did not see or say that anyone said or even imply that they were happy he was injured badly. I am not trolling or shaming. Just suggesting that we all recognize that there is a difference between Froome the person and Froome the rider. I am not a Froome/Sky fan at all, but find that joy about his absence from the tour or mocking his riding style and appearance in a thread about a catastrophic injury is perhaps not very graceful. I am not the moral police here, I am not calling people out specifically, I was only suggesting that we remember that he is a person like us, flawed and vulnerable.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 AM
50 bpm

Surgery was a success, doctors say, but Brailsford said he's still unconscious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk