Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Riding Along

Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Early reports are unspecified injuries to both elbows as well. Speaking from experience just one of those hurts like hell.
Statement from Ineos says fractured femur, ribs and elbow. Sounds like he hit his entire right side after getting pushed off the line.

https://www.teamineos.com/article/fr...tour-de-france
Old 06-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Per tweets from Mrs. Froome, Chris is in surgery now.
Reports state femur fracture, possibly an open fracture (where the femur protrudes through the skin,) elbow, and rib fractures.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.

Hear, hear. Thank you for stating what we all should be considering.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
First thought here as well..

Similarly, I loathe the GSW, but wish KD well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Based on my own experience breaking a femur in a bike crash, I'd say his days leading the field are over. Hopefully I'm wrong and his superior health care yields superior results.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM

This tragic. I wish him all the best in his recovery.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM

I really do not understand why some people are so negative and snarky here.
It's not really humorous in any way.
And yet if that injury happened to those same people they would be posting their x-rays, etc....

No matter how one feels about anyone else, to celebrate a terrible injury and subsequent inability of someone to do their job/what they love for at least a while, and possibly forever at top levels in this case, is pretty provincial and sad, boorish.

Why?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM
v a n i l l a

A potentially career ending injury. Sympathy to him.

Yes he is robotic and awkward on the bike and in interviews. I never cared for his style but the TdF a few years ago (2016?) changed all that. He runs up mont ventoux. He gains time sitting on his top tube going downhill. He makes the selection into the wind with Sagan. wow - now thats racing with your head heart and guts.

I get that the team is polarizing. But this is devastating news for the sport.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
I really do not understand why some people are so negative and snarky here.
It's not really humorous in any way.
And yet if that injury happened to those same people they would be posting their x-rays, etc....

No matter how one feels about anyone else, to celebrate a terrible injury and subsequent inability of someone to do their job/what they love for at least a while, and possibly forever at top levels in this case, is pretty provincial and sad, boorish.

Why?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...allows%20humor
Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Sure....

Do you speak for everyone here?
Do you have a really witty retort like that for Black Dog too?
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...0&postcount=31
Old 06-12-2019, 03:07 PM

It can be a life-threatening injury. At the 1978 F1 race at Monza, Ronnie Peterson was involved in an accident where he had several fractures of both of his legs. He developed a fatty embolism that night (he was in the hospital) and died.

From Wikipedia:

At the hospital, Peterson's X-rays showed he had seven fractures in one leg and three in the other. After discussion with him, Peterson was sent to intensive care so that the surgeons could operate to stabilize the bones.[18] There was some level of dispute between the doctors regarding whether all fractures should be immediately fixed or not.[19] During the night, Peterson's condition worsened, and he was diagnosed with fat embolism.[20] By morning he was in full renal failure due to the embolism, and was declared dead at 9:55am on 11 September 1978.[
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Procycling has to be the only sport where some real fans cheer when someone goes down critically hard. Toronto fans were justifiably torn up for cheering Durant's muscle pull. Froome is probably done at this point. He wasn't an exciting rider, but it's awful to see him go out like this. (e- this isn't in reference to this thread, but comments i've been reading today)

Last edited by zzy; 06-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Vendor

It certainly is unfortunate when any athlete gets a serious injury like this love him or hate him. Hopefully he has a good recovery.

However, I've read pretty much the whole thread and I can't see anyone saying anything very crass. I understand it's a drag and shocking for Froome fans, but let's not get too over-sensitive about a few tame jokes.

Nobody is cheering this, nobody is saying they're happy that it happened to the guy. Let's stay
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Not sure if it is the same but Beloki was never able to come back from his broken leg after that famous crash.
On the flip side both Gilbert and Velverde have come back from some bad crashes the last couple of years though I am not sure if either of their injuries were as bad as Froome's.