Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 PM

Jones curious

I'm very tempted by the (relatively) new Jones SWB complete. My only mountain bike for the last few years has been a 2008 Kona Unit 2-9, set up rigid and geared with the fattest tires I can fit in the frame. I can only mountain bike once a month or so, so having a simple, maintenance-light bike is nice.

I've got the budget for a new ride now and am considering the Jones and an aluminum, short travel, full suspension 29er like the Kona Hei Hei. This bike will be used 90% of the time on singletrack; I'll set up the Unit as a gravel bike. My head says that the FS 29er makes more sense. But the Jones has an allure I can't deny.

Anyone in the Portland area have a Jones I can test ride? I'd really like to see what the Jones geometry feels like, it's so different from the long/low/slack bikes that are trendy now.

Those of you with Jones bikes - Any regrets?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Bump. Where are the Jones'ers out there?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
the Jones has an allure I can't deny.
Can't help you with any direct experiences, just wanna concur with ^^^this sentiment.

Reminds me, I forgot to add a Jones Ti Speceframe w/ Truss Fork to that recent "Dream Bike" thread.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

This caught my eye at D2r2 in 2016.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM

I bought an SWB spaceframe last fall because I was Jones-curious myself and really found the idea of a big-wheeled rigid trail rig appealing. I have had FS bikes but prefer hardtails for the terrain I ride (rocky, moderately technical singletrack without big drops, lots of climbing and usually a 20-30 minute commute to/from the trail). After watching all of Jeff's videos and reading lots of user stories, I decided I wanted to give it a go.

Winter cut short the riding I was able to get in on it last fall, and I've only just gotten back to the trails following a bout of tendinitis this spring, so take my limited experience for what it's worth. I'd say that for the most part, though, what Jeff espouses rings true. This is just about an ideal bike for the trail riding I do and for my preference to ride rigid. The tall front end and short reach will seem strange when you first climb aboard, but it makes the Jones Loop bar make a lot of sense when you start riding. The reach makes grabbing the front of the bar for a road-like position stable and comfortable. The upright and centered feel while on the grips promotes balance and control. The boost in confidence while descending rocky and twisty trail was immediate. I'll say the bike is not light, but is not slow, either. Long story short, I feel like I'm still getting fully acquainted with the SWB, but my experiences thus far have been very positive.

I set mine up as a 29+ because I wanted max clearance to avoid pedal strikes in the rocks. Wheels have WTB i40 front/i35 rear rims, 3" Minion front and 2.6" Rekon rear. Running front at around 15-16psi, rear around 19-20. Really like this combo so far...the big volume in front helps mitigate the rigid fork and takes some of the edge off trail chatter. It's still a rigid bike, though, which certainly isn't for everyone. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM

I’m in Portland too so probably ride the same trails. The jones definitely has more cool factor than some anonymous full suspension but honestly after riding a rigid bike for years I got a modern slackish hardtail (honzo) and mountain biking is a new and better experience for me. There’s so many trails that were just terrifying or beat me up like crazy that are now tons of fun like sandy ridge, cold creek, 44 area, syncline. Especially since you’re keeping the unit and I’d get something with a dropper and at least front suspension. Just my two cents. Mountain bikes are really good now.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I set mine up as a 29+ because I wanted max clearance to avoid pedal strikes in the rocks. Wheels have WTB i40 front/i35 rear rims, 3" Minion front and 2.6" Rekon rear. Running front at around 15-16psi, rear around 19-20. Really like this combo so far...the big volume in front helps mitigate the rigid fork and takes some of the edge off trail chatter. It's still a rigid bike, though, which certainly isn't for everyone. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
This is great info. I'd been wondering if anyone was using 29+ wheels in the SWB. How much clearance do you have in the frame with a 29x2.6 tire in the back? Did you put the EBB in the lowest position to offset the taller tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
I’m in Portland too so probably ride the same trails. The jones definitely has more cool factor than some anonymous full suspension but honestly after riding a rigid bike for years I got a modern slackish hardtail (honzo) and mountain biking is a new and better experience for me. There’s so many trails that were just terrifying or beat me up like crazy that are now tons of fun like sandy ridge, cold creek, 44 area, syncline. Especially since you’re keeping the unit and I’d get something with a dropper and at least front suspension. Just my two cents. Mountain bikes are really good now.
Yeah, I should probably just get a Kona Hei Hei or Salsa Spearfish and call it good. I know I'd like it; it'd be a safe bet. The Jones is more of a gamble.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
but honestly after riding a rigid bike for years I got a modern slackish hardtail (honzo) and mountain biking is a new and better experience for me. .
I ride my (Niner Air 9) HT way more the FS bike I have. Interrested in a "modern" HT , but worry about the 80% of the time I'm climbing. This works so well on a steepish-100 mm HT.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
I ride my (Niner Air 9) HT way more the FS bike I have. Interrested in a "modern" HT , but worry about the 80% of the time I'm climbing. This works so well on a steepish-100 mm HT.
The front wanders a little more, not going to lie, but I really like the steep seat tube angle of modern bikess; it feels easier to put power done (to me). And slack is a range, the Honzo is 68 with a 120mm fork which isn't crazy. I find I lock out the fork pretty infrequently as the sag keeps the front end lower. Technical climbing is so much easier than either of my previous "old school" xc 29ers.

I feel like I could still do a xc race with this bike and fast tires and not be limited.

Sorry for the drift. I bet the Hei hei with a 120mm fork is a super capable but fast bike. Really thought about going that way but it was too much of a stretch for the budget. I've always thought Jones were super cool though so you'll get a sick bike either way.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 PM

No drift, it's all good! I do wonder how well I'll like the new school geometry. My Unit is decidedly old school; it was designed for a 80 mm suspension fork and has a super steep HA, like 72 deg. And it has 17.1" chainstays, which was short for the time but is at the long end now. Right now I've got a 29x3" wheel up front and a 27.5x2.8" in the back, which slackens it out a bit and adds a very welcome measure of cushioning. I feel like it handles great, although after 10 years of riding it, that may just be familiarity.

I owned a Diamondback Mason for 6 months but sold it. I got it in a trade but never warmed to it. It was as short as the Unit in the back but was a good two inches longer up front. The front end wandered a lot on climbs and it was punishingly stiff. It was a *hard*tail. But with a dropper post and 120 mm of suspension up front, descents were a lot of fun.

I expect the Hei Hei to handle more like the Mason than the Unit. So maybe I won't like it? But I also have geometry concerns about the Jones too. Will it be too upright a riding position? Too far biased to the climbing rather than the descents? I'm planning on renting a Hei Hei (if I can find one). I'd love to test ride a Jones but they're somewhat rare. We'll see!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:

But I also have geometry concerns about the Jones too. Will it be too upright a riding position? Too far biased to the climbing rather than the descents?
I have owned a 2007 Merlin Built Jones 100/135 Spacing Ti Spaceframe since 2011 and have ridden it single speed for a number of seasons.

I have always liked the upright riding position and do match it with Jones Loop bars generally for the advantage of fore and aft movement. Really easy to get forward on the climbs by moving to the front of the loops and it descends well (for the kind of bike it is) with a slack enough HTA along with the raked out fork. I assume trail is still in the 70s range and the short rear and wheelbase make for a playful 29er.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
This is great info. I'd been wondering if anyone was using 29+ wheels in the SWB. How much clearance do you have in the frame with a 29x2.6 tire in the back? Did you put the EBB in the lowest position to offset the taller tires?
I've got about 8-9mm clearance on either side at the chainstays--no clearance concerns with 2.6". I suspect you could safely fit a 2.8" and still have reasonable clearance. 3" would be tight, though.

I have the EBB close to 11 o'clock right now. I started with it lower, but clipped a trail gate riding over it and decided to go a little higher. I use 170mm cranks, which makes me think the SWB must have a lowish BB shell height to start with, though I couldn't find it quoted anywhere. Still feels very stable even at that position.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I have always liked the upright riding position and do match it with Jones Loop bars generally for the advantage of fore and aft movement. Really easy to get forward on the climbs by moving to the front of the loops and it descends well (for the kind of bike it is) with a slack enough HTA along with the raked out fork.
The upright position feels weird at first, but I agree with these comments. The Loop bar is key to making it work, I think. I'll also add that balance is outstanding. I generally suck at track stands, for example, but can do so pretty easily on this bike.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Vendor

I've also been interested in a Jones. A buddy has one (his second) and I've been meaning to take him up on his offer to test it out. He goes bikepacking with it and it's something I'd like to find the time to get into. Other than maybe the bikepacking ability though, I don't know where it would fit into my quiver. I have a 29er full rigid setup XC style. I pull that one out for the mellow local dirt trails which I ride out to. Riding fat 2.6s or something like that on the road seems like a drag. I also have FS 29er that I take out when driving to the places with more gnarly stuff. While I like the simplicity of rigid, I also like the cush of suspension when things get rocky and being able to ride all day without getting beat-up.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:16 AM

I have what some might view as too many bikes - I really like the Jones for mellow singletrack rides, and smooth trails where you can get some speed up. I have mine set up 29+, and use a fat front for mild snow in the winter.

If it's rocky or a lot of climbing, I like a FS 29er more. The Jones is a blast on the descents though. It's a very smooth, comfortable ride with a very different feel/riding position. Definitely worth a test ride if you can.

Not sure what the riding in PDX is like, but it's a great Bend bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdsad.jpg (84.3 KB, 354 views)