Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I figure I'll wait for a few more years atrophy of stamina and then just get the Pina Nytro ; )
I'm waiting for the Pina Hydrogen in 2035

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 02:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

It's only irrational because I have no room - unless I can convince my wife
and...

Old 06-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
and...

If only you knew how much stuff we've KM'd in the last month..

Anybody want to trade me a Dogma for my record collection?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
So was the F8 more performance oriented than you were looking for? Or why the move to the K10?

A few reasons. One, the F8 I had was pretty beat up. I bought it super cheap ( and ended up selling for the same $$$ ). I really wanted a bike that could handle 28’s. Wanted disc brakes and the rear suspension concept just sounded like a great idea on the LA roads I ride on.

So, when a K10-S in 59.5 came up brand new on eBay and didn’t sell. And didn’t sell and didn’t sell...I made a super lowball offer and the guy countered at a decent price, so I pulled the trigger!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:21 PM

@ full retail, its grossly over-priced (IMO).

But, the F10 disc rides great (59.5). Pina has the budget for the R&D and testing that most manufacturers do not. I hate the Sky correlation but whatever.

I built a new one w/eTap a couple months ago for about ~45% less that the local retailer charges.

Go demo one and see for yourself.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=Clean39T;2550850]I have an irrational desire to ride a Pinarello Dogma - 65.1, F8, F10..

[/QUOTE)

Two weeks ago, I rode my Bixxis and then went to the Dali Museum. Same thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
That whole nonsense about being constructed "under tension" versus the previous version is just that... nonsense. Once you get past that, there ain't much difference between the F8 and F10 (and most likely F12).

Get what you think is cool, because the difference between brands' top choices isn't nearly as much as what they're marketing to you.
It sounds like you must have some inside info on how these frames are made please do share more details if you know something different.

Thx
Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I would not buy a bike that only clears 23mm.. Specially when you are used to the good stuff. 25mm is a maybe but we all know 28 is the sweet spot (actually I am a 32mm kind of guy now but still enjoy 28s). If I was to get one probably be an F8.

That said, it would be really hard choosing btw a dogma or a C59/C60/C64.... I actually think lately I would pick the dogma just because its so different
I think 65.1 will clear 25mm tubs, I plan to run 27mm tubs on my F8 but using the right brakes is key.

Veloflex Vlaanderen tubular tires that measure 27mm and on my F8, the tire looks to fit the frame but not the brakes. So I tried a few brakes, Campy Record 11 and Record 12 both do not have enuf clearance but the Pina Most brakes do. A few photos for ya with a Veloflex Vlaanderen 27mm tubular rear tire. Note that the Record 12 and the Most brakes both have a screw you can turn to open up the brakes, the Record 12 gets wider but not taller, the Most gets wider and taller !

Old 06-09-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
It sounds like you must have some inside info on how these frames are made please do share more details if you know something different.

Thx
It's all in the white paper of the respective bikes. Not once is anything about "under tension" is mentioned... and it's not like they're pulling the prepreg Toyayca prior to layup, nor are they pulling the T1100's fibers "taut" before construction. This is how the "telephone game" works. Someone with "knowledge" says something, and people fall in line. Fake news!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:25 PM

That's actually my bike and I ended up with Steve's F8. Small world!

[QUOTE=fignon's barber;2551062]
Quote:
I have an irrational desire to ride a Pinarello Dogma - 65.1, F8, F10..

[/QUOTE)

Two weeks ago, I rode my Bixxis and then went to the Dali Museum. Same thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
@ full retail, its grossly over-priced (IMO).

But, the F10 disc rides great (59.5). Pina has the budget for the R&D and testing that most manufacturers do not. I hate the Sky correlation but whatever.

I built a new one w/eTap a couple months ago for about ~45% less that the local retailer charges.

Go demo one and see for yourself.
I built mine ( K10-S ) new as well with ETap and Reynolds 46 Aero disc. 59.5. I’m sure mine was about the same off as I bought all the parts from eBay. Great deals can be had on eBay!

The MSRP $6,600.00 frameset I bought for $3,500.00.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:13 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
It's all in the white paper of the respective bikes. Not once is anything about "under tension" is mentioned... and it's not like they're pulling the prepreg Toyayca prior to layup, nor are they pulling the T1100's fibers "taut" before construction. This is how the "telephone game" works. Someone with "knowledge" says something, and people fall in line. Fake news!
Well, Craig is having carbon frames handbuilt in Italy and I doubt anyone puts "all in" in a publicly distributed white paper. Just sayin' - this is a guy who sells, has sold Pinas and been in the business for decades so I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt in it being more than somebody saying something - it's not like he has a motive to pass fake news on this; he's pretty open and forthright on these things. So, if you care to offer something other than your own speculation I think that would be elucidating.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=billyd0012;2551086]That's actually my bike and I ended up with Steve's F8. Small world!

Uh oh.

Need a gravel rig?

Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Well, Craig is having carbon frames handbuilt in Italy and I doubt anyone puts "all in" in a publicly distributed white paper. Just sayin' - this is a guy who sells, has sold Pinas and been in the business for decades so I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt in it being more than somebody saying something - it's not like he has a motive to pass fake news on this; he's pretty open and forthright on these things. So, if you care to offer something other than your own speculation I think that would be elucidating.
Feel free to factually prove me wrong. Until then, you're falling for marketing. After all, he's got bikes under his own name to sell, so they have to be better, right?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I'm not falling for anything - I'm not in the market and my challenge to you was genuine - if you know something that Craig and the rest of us don't about these bikes, please do share. And I don't have anything to prove to you, quite the opposite I think before you disparage someone with demonstrated knowledge in the Industry without laying out any factual basis. What's your CV? Really, if your expert in this then that informs the discussion.

So, I'm asking, what are your facts and expertise? Now I had a Colnago dealer in the UK also tell me that Pinarello pops these out of molds from the fareast for $40 US each, so there's that opinion out there too. Craig on the other hand sells Pinarellos, Colnagos and his own brand among others and in the thread cited he told a bunch of enthusiasts that Pinarellos new model (F10 at the time) wasn't as good as its old one - not exactly a way to move your current inventory.

Mostly my interest here is seeing the discourse remain at a slightly higher factual standard than the President's twitter feed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kirk007; 06-09-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: more to say