Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

OT: Antique Furniture

My parents are in the process of downsizing so we've acquired quite a few things from them. As long as I can remember my Mom was always into antique furniture and knick knacks. This is a chair that she acquired at some point in time but she really doesn't remember anything about it. It has no markings that I can see and I've never seen one like it before. Since the forum has such a diverse membership and knowledge base I thought I would start here and see if anyone has any knowledge of this particular design?

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chair1.jpg (149.2 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Chair2.jpg (147.2 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Chair3.jpg (153.1 KB, 400 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM

It looks to be factory-made late 19th-early 20th Century. There might be info on the maker under the upholstery on the bottom of the frame. It's in beautiful condition.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM

My stepfather was an auctioneer and my father in law still refinishes high end antiques for Fontaine auctions. I haven't ever seen a chair quite like that one.

I agree with Ken Robb. Looks late 19th early 20th century. I'll show my father in law next time I see him and see if he knows any specifics. I will do the same when I see my stepfather as he is a wealth of knowledge on such things.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:58 PM

That's beautiful William - agree with Ken - factory made, 1880 or so. In spectacular shape. I would call the style either Eastlake or Aesthetic - a little geometric for Aesthetic though.

Unfortunately the real antiques aren't worth squat right now, so re-upholster it, and enjoy it.

Cheers!

Rob
Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
My stepfather was an auctioneer and my father in law still refinishes high end antiques for Fontaine auctions. I haven't ever seen a chair quite like that one.

I agree with Ken Robb. Looks late 19th early 20th century. I'll show my father in law next time I see him and see if he knows any specifics. I will do the same when I see my stepfather as he is a wealth of knowledge on such things.
I've bought a lot of stuff at Fontaine's over the years - they have some of my favorite lines "Drive the wheels off your car looking for another one like this"; "Yep that is Gen-u-ine tree wood right there - hard to find these days". Good guys with some great picks.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:29 PM

That's neat looking and for some reason in my mind has a salty New England sea vibe to it.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:43 PM

Sometimes when antiques like this have hardware, you can determine rough age based on any standard followed (SAE, USS, etc). My guess that it's a parlor chair, late 1800's or early 1900's as previously mentioned. Often these were sold as pairs, one arm and one without (for the ladies). Then again some people purchased the same type.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I knew you folks would get me heading in the right direction, I love this place!

It looks like it could be a Hunzinger chair from the mid to late 1800's. Rob's "Aesthetic style" hint got me in the ballpark.

http://rarevictorian.com/shop/?site=George-Hunzinger

I'm seeing a similar design element but so far nothing like this one.

William

Last edited by William; 05-03-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Everything is connected

Chairs are tough to sell William. People seem to want at least four and as folks have grown in stature, many of the older chairs are considered too small for modern use. If you're selling them, perhaps consider consignment and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I'm not looking to sell. I just wanted to figure out what it was since it seemed so unusual.

William
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I found several Huntzinger chairs with very similar features to William's chair. They had Huntzinger's name and a patent date of 1869 stamped on the backrest. He seems to have made chairs until the very late 19th Century.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 AM
Administrator

The forum knowledge cats came through on the chair with flying colors, anyone care to take a shot on this lamp? I've always loved tithe style of this lamp and it's been in the family for as long as I can remember.

Mission style?

William

PS: That LED bulb is great for energy savings and low heat, but it doesn't give off the best light for this lamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamp1.jpg (40.8 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Lamp2.jpg (39.9 KB, 289 views)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
'cause I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' 'round that kind of thing now. Just like I am with antique furniture. You know that. I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a piece of antique furniture.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM

The lamp looks a little bit like a Limbert. It's definitely a production piece, often production pieces were stamped on the bottom, sometimes with a number as well.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Ask your mother if she had the chair reupholstered. Paisely was very popular in that time period, so the fabric could be original. it's great looking, and she has great taste.

Yes, the lamp is from the Arts and Crafts movement and could be called Mission. It would be a good complement to Stickley furniture from that period. Is the glass opaline?