Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 AM

As someone who loves both a good fade and burgundy and grey bikes, this looks amazing. Funny thing is my painter talked me out of this fade 30 years ago as he though the transition would look "muddy".
Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
Speaking of fades, has anyone ever had one of your frames done up in the classic 90s serotta fades ie pink/orange?
Hey - I think we had one or two like that about 15 years ago but not since then.

I was working at Serotta when the neon fade thing started and I'd built myself a new mountain bike and the boys in the paint shop had free rein to paint it something cool. They chose neon magenta fade to neon orange. It was so fricking cool. I loved it.

I lived in a tiny studio apartment and my bike was the very first thing I saw when I woke up each morning. After a few weeks of waking up to that super bright bike I sat up one morning, looked at the bike, and hated it! It suddenly seemed so gaudy. My next bike was painted French Bugatti blue

I've since come to enjoy them again and I have a Coors bike that is plenty bright and I love it. Way back when there were so many of these coming out of the paint shop that it was just too much.

Funny stuff.

dave
Old 10-13-2023, 11:25 AM

This week's build is an Onesto Fillet MRB that is headed all the way to Beijing once I get it in a box. This is set up for mid reach rim brakes and a 38 mm tire.

Something tells me the owner won't see another one of these on his local club ride.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6156.jpg (36.3 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6159.jpg (37.0 KB, 931 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6163.jpg (39.3 KB, 926 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6164.jpg (36.9 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6166.jpg (40.9 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6167.jpg (36.2 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6168.jpg (37.8 KB, 936 views)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:22 AM

Wow, thats art

Old 10-18-2023, 03:55 PM

Sometimes you own an older frame that you just love but the fork is past its ‘use-by’ date and you want a new fork to keep the bike on the road. If the fork you want to replace is 1” and has a threaded steerer this can leave you very few quality choices.

In this case I built a threaded 1” steel fork to replace an old aluminum bonded fork that has been used in an old Merlin titanium frame. This new fork will be laterally stiffer (a very good thing) and much stronger and more reliable while only being 1 ounce heavier. A very worthwhile compromise in my book.

This fork is done and will be heading off to my painter Joe Bell and then it will be slid into the old Merlin giving it a second life on the road. It’s fun being able to squeeze small projects like this in between larger ones and in doing so keeping an old friend roadworthy.

Now onto a major project…..

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6197.jpg (39.3 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6198.jpg (44.2 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6203.jpg (38.1 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6211.jpg (86.9 KB, 814 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:58 PM

Gorgeous fork(s)!

I am curious about your process when you say you are on to a 'major project' - do you spend time sitting at a desk sketching things out or otherwise? With your experience, I would think that there are few things that would stump you, but I also know that the point in life is to continually learn and evolve and I am sure that applies to someone who is expert at their job (which I am not yet).

Not that my Rock Lobster was complicated in any way, but I was amazed when my time came up, got an email and phone call with Paul, talked for 20min, he shared a couple of emails and then got signoff to start. Within a day and a half the bike was done - he just pounded it out!

His bikes are more pragmatically built than yours, so I know that you would have different approaches, but he sure did that quickly and efficiently once things got rolling.

What is your process? How does it differ when its a 'major' project?
Old 10-20-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Gorgeous fork(s)!

I am curious about your process when you say you are on to a 'major project' - do you spend time sitting at a desk sketching things out or otherwise? With your experience, I would think that there are few things that would stump you, but I also know that the point in life is to continually learn and evolve and I am sure that applies to someone who is expert at their job (which I am not yet).

Not that my Rock Lobster was complicated in any way, but I was amazed when my time came up, got an email and phone call with Paul, talked for 20min, he shared a couple of emails and then got signoff to start. Within a day and a half the bike was done - he just pounded it out!

His bikes are more pragmatically built than yours, so I know that you would have different approaches, but he sure did that quickly and efficiently once things got rolling.

What is your process? How does it differ when its a 'major' project?
Good question - for me a major project is a design and build of a frame and fork set…by comparison a fork is a very minor project that doesn’t need any time put toward fitting or drawing or really anything but metal work. With a fork I know the span and the rake and I’m then off making noise and dust.

A “major project” of a frame and fork design/build starts with lots of email and phone exchanges of info. I get body numbers and current bikes numbers. I have the client fill out a questionnaire about what stuff they plan on using on the bike and how the bike will be used. We discuss how the bike should look and preferences like level or sloped top tube…there’s 100 little details that get addressed before any metal work is done. I take all these details and put them into the Design-O-Matic 3000 (just upgraded from the 2000) and give it a spin and it comes up with a Bikecad design I then share with the customer. If we are in agreement that the design is cool then the metal work starts. If not there will be revisions until both of us are 100% happy.

Then the metal stuff happens. Typically it takes a week to get through a build with about 1/2 of that time being spent spent at the bench and the rest of the time doing mundane but important stuff like getting shipments to Hong Kong cleared through customs and ordering stuff for the next build and packing/shipping/accounting/cleaning…etc. A lugged build that will be painted will take 12-15 hours at the bench in total….longer if it’s unpainted stainless where I’m providing the final finish and not sending it to my paint partner JB.

Does that make sense?

dave
Old 10-24-2023, 04:42 PM

Ha! I was thinking you were planning a FS electric recumbent! Yes, as you are primarily a 700c skinny tired builder, the number of factors are more limited, but the extent of detail that goes into your bikes is greater than the average builder's bike, so that is where your time evens out - you are likely faster than the average builder, but make more detailed bikes than the average builder.

Wow, 15hours to complete it - lightning fast! My buddy took a framebuilding course from Paul Brodie during Covid and he said it took him two weeks to build his own frame (no fork!).
Old 11-03-2023, 02:46 PM

I'm wrapping up my work week with a freshly jigged up set of tubes that will be an Onesto Fillet frame when I'm done...and a toy car photo of the 2014 Westfield S2000 I built back in 2014. I took a few photos of it to enter into the running of having the photo featured in the annual Westfield Owners Club calendar. Fingers crossed that one of my photos is accepted.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6399.jpg (50.9 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6409.jpg (54.0 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6413.jpg (110.5 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6386.jpg (97.9 KB, 547 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 07:37 PM

Dave, did you see that I pressed the like button?
Old 11-10-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Dave, did you see that I pressed the like button?
+1 for the frame and car
Old 11-10-2023, 04:48 PM

I'm pleased to have this built 99% of the way there. It now just needs it's passivation treatment and some logos blasted on and it will be ready to head to it's forever home in Singapore.

This is another Onesto Fillet MRB....so it's all stainless with silver fillets and will use a rim brake and a 35 mm tire. Nothing tires your hands out more than a stainless fillet build but they sure to look and ride sweet when you're done.

Time for a cool weather ride before the sun sets the the temps plummet.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6469.jpg (86.4 KB, 413 views)
Old 11-17-2023, 03:26 PM

I've started Anniversary bike number 20.4 just in time for the weekend. But I've got the tubes set to the jig and the sub assemblies done so that's not nothing.

Time for some quick lunch and then a ride.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6504.jpg (102.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6490.jpg (50.0 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6485.jpg (72.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6517.jpg (68.4 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6495.jpg (55.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 06:27 PM

Coming back in from Thanksgiving break and my hands are fresh and ready for some Gothic Fillet finish work.

This is bike #4 of five of the series of 20th Anniversary bikes. When this one is wrapped up there's just one more to do. I think my hands will allow that.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6534.jpg (46.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6538.jpg (43.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6537.jpg (43.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6542.jpg (33.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Coming back in from Thanksgiving break and my hands are fresh and ready for some Gothic Fillet finish work.

This is bike #4 of five of the series of 20th Anniversary bikes. When this one is wrapped up there's just one more to do. I think my hands will allow that.

dave
Are the smaller frames, where the tubes are adjacent, more difficult to fillet than larger sized frames?

Always such a treat to see your progress photos and get insight into the build process!