Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2101  
Old 08-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Tim Porter Tim Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
And Tim, since (I presume) the fit on your 3 Kirks is similar, what do you think sets this one apart?
That's sort of a tough question for me to answer because I really like them all, and they are pretty much identical in dimensions and fit (except for minuscule differences due to some of the tubes having larger external diameters).

So, the third Kirk () was the first oversized tubing version of Dave's JK bikes. Compared to the other two, it feels absolutely rock solid over bumps/cracks/whatever. Not harsh, just no vibration or motion at all. It's super to ride and suits a heavy guy like me perhaps better than the other two. It's on a semi-permanent loan to my brother in Michigan right now.

The second Kirk is one of Dave's 10th Anniversary models and has his Terraplane seat stays--I think it feels a little more compliant and will react to whoop-de-do's as you hit the bottom of a descent by moving a bit to absorb the forces. Otherwise it feels completely similar.

The green bike(the one here) has an uncanny sense of balance to it when you get out of the saddle--the front end does not move around and you feel perfectly balanced between the wheels. All three bikes have this, but perhaps this one is a bit lighter and maybe a tiny bit more flexible and just seems to work with you.

Maybe that explains it a little.
Reply With Quote
  #2102  
Old 08-14-2022, 11:20 PM
ERK55 ERK55 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 953
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2103  
Old 08-15-2022, 09:23 AM
Tim Porter Tim Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 870
Just to round out my little gab fest about my Kirk bikes, here are the other two:

JKS (oversized tubes) in Tuscany:



10th Anniversary, lugged, Lotus orange with Terraplane stays:

Reply With Quote
  #2104  
Old 08-15-2022, 01:20 PM
lavi's Avatar
lavi lavi is offline
Deconditioned!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: pdx
Posts: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
JKS (oversized tubes) in Tuscany:
Very nice. Please get these, esp the gold one, posted up in the Custom Bike section. More pics!
__________________
Peg Mxxxxxo e Duende|Argo RM3|Hampsten|Crux
Reply With Quote
  #2105  
Old 08-15-2022, 02:19 PM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Very nice. Please get these, esp the gold one, posted up in the Custom Bike section. More pics!

Ya, more on that gold one, please!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Kirk JKS & MRB, Alliance G-road, & Top Fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #2106  
Old 08-23-2022, 01:40 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,380
This week I'm working on an Onesto XL....it uses XL (double oversize to some) tubes to give a larger or heavier rider a nice stable platform to make power on.

Currently this build has the fork 100% done and the front triangle brazed and aligned and cleaned up and ready to add the rear stays. The stays are prepped and fit and now everything is ready to braze into place.

Getting close to being a bike frame.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3885.jpg (55.5 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3896.jpg (46.7 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3914.jpg (36.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3918.jpg (96.0 KB, 582 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2107  
Old 08-23-2022, 01:49 PM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 4,225
Looks great as always, Dave.

I’ve always wanted to ask you about the oversized bikes you offer for larger riders. How would a bike built with these tubes translate to a mid-size rider (175 lb range)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Kirk JKS & MRB, Alliance G-road, & Top Fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #2108  
Old 08-23-2022, 03:12 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Looks great as always, Dave.

I’ve always wanted to ask you about the oversized bikes you offer for larger riders. How would a bike built with these tubes translate to a mid-size rider (175 lb range)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would depend on how tall you are and how you want to use the bike. I’m 6’4” and 178 lbs -so mid weight but lanky and I use XL sized tubes for my personal bikes because I love the feeling of a platform I can push hard on. I also like the torsional stiffness that the larger tubes give a taller bike. They give it great directional stability and consistent handling.

If you are 175 lbs and not as tall as I am you are in the overlap of the Venn diagram of OS and XL tubes. You could go either way and what you want out of the bike will steer us in the right direction. If you are looking for the lowest weight and all day century-ride comfort then the more common and traditional Oversize tubes are probably the way to go. If, on the other hand, your rides are more aggressive and/or you are riding on less polished surfaces the XL tubes might get the nod….particularly if the bike is going to be fit with a wide tire that will give the plush ride even with the larger tubes.

In the end you are in the middle and you can’t get it too far wrong….but we can taper the ride for you with the tube size to best suit how, and where, the bike will be used.

Make sense?

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2109  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:30 PM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It would depend on how tall you are and how you want to use the bike. I’m 6’4” and 178 lbs -so mid weight but lanky and I use XL sized tubes for my personal bikes because I love the feeling of a platform I can push hard on. I also like the torsional stiffness that the larger tubes give a taller bike. They give it great directional stability and consistent handling.

If you are 175 lbs and not as tall as I am you are in the overlap of the Venn diagram of OS and XL tubes. You could go either way and what you want out of the bike will steer us in the right direction. If you are looking for the lowest weight and all day century-ride comfort then the more common and traditional Oversize tubes are probably the way to go. If, on the other hand, your rides are more aggressive and/or you are riding on less polished surfaces the XL tubes might get the nod….particularly if the bike is going to be fit with a wide tire that will give the plush ride even with the larger tubes.

In the end you are in the middle and you can’t get it too far wrong….but we can taper the ride for you with the tube size to best suit how, and where, the bike will be used.

Make sense?

Dave
Thanks, Dave! This makes complete sense.
__________________
Kirk JKS & MRB, Alliance G-road, & Top Fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #2110  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:40 PM
robt57 robt57 is offline
NJ/NashV/PDX
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,298
Can you adjust this question/answer for the borderline clydes that like a lively steel feel? In my case I wonder if being 65 now and a whole lot less power than 20 years ago the OS maybe not so necessary. [#mindseye].

To me/ in my case borderline clyde=210lb 34.25 inseam.

Ciao


Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It would depend on how tall you are and how you want to use the bike. I’m 6’4” and 178 lbs -so mid weight but lanky and I use XL sized tubes for my personal bikes because I love the feeling of a platform I can push hard on. I also like the torsional stiffness that the larger tubes give a taller bike. They give it great directional stability and consistent handling.

If you are 175 lbs and not as tall as I am you are in the overlap of the Venn diagram of OS and XL tubes. You could go either way and what you want out of the bike will steer us in the right direction. If you are looking for the lowest weight and all day century-ride comfort then the more common and traditional Oversize tubes are probably the way to go. If, on the other hand, your rides are more aggressive and/or you are riding on less polished surfaces the XL tubes might get the nod….particularly if the bike is going to be fit with a wide tire that will give the plush ride even with the larger tubes.

In the end you are in the middle and you can’t get it too far wrong….but we can taper the ride for you with the tube size to best suit how, and where, the bike will be used.

Make sense?

Dave
__________________
This foot tastes terrible!
Reply With Quote
  #2111  
Old 08-24-2022, 11:29 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Can you adjust this question/answer for the borderline clydes that like a lively steel feel? In my case I wonder if being 65 now and a whole lot less power than 20 years ago the OS maybe not so necessary. [#mindseye].

To me/ in my case borderline clyde=210lb 34.25 inseam.

Ciao
I think if you aren't putting out a lot of power and if you don't ride aggressively that you would probably enjoy the smaller Oversize tubes instead of the XL. It will be springier and more lively and of course a bit smoother riding.

dave
Reply With Quote
  #2112  
Old 08-31-2022, 04:01 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,380
A few detail shots of the latest Onesto XL to come off the bench. It's now on its way to Joe Bell for him to mask off the logos and give it the bright frosted beer glass look and then it will come back to my place for a few quick things before heading off to its new home.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3965.jpg (93.7 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3934.jpg (40.3 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3951.jpg (49.5 KB, 384 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2113  
Old 09-01-2022, 01:39 PM
d_douglas d_douglas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 9,748
That looks just so perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #2114  
Old 09-09-2022, 03:12 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 8,380
Stainless tubes, silver fillets, brass cable adjusters and white bronze head badge.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4034.jpg (36.0 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4070.jpg (42.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4065.jpg (43.3 KB, 221 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2115  
Old 09-09-2022, 03:17 PM
ridethecliche ridethecliche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly Philly!
Posts: 2,131
Absolutely gorgeous!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.