Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 10:52 AM

Clear coated frame?!

In relation to this item.

"when I got it I thought frame wasn’t shiny so I got some clear paint and sprayed 3 coats it it look goodBut after awhile started to be noticed, I guess it needs retouch since it wasn’t professionally, but the original paint is good."

I don't know what to make of this "paint job" but o/w it is local to me and tempting...
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 AM

Nothing wrong with clear coating a frame, will add a few grams of weight. The trick is doing it right since clear is tricky sometimes.

What is your concern?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 AM
The B!

if he used a 2K product it might be fine, but the problem i see here is that he almost surely used krylon clear spray paint from a hardware shelf, and that stuff..... sucks. it just plain sucks. it clouds, chips, ages badly... and it's pretty doggon unlikely you can get it off the bike without having to completely repaint..

so yea, it's a legit concern. not something i'd get myself into unless the price was very right
Old 03-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
Nothing wrong with clear coating a frame, will add a few grams of weight. The trick is doing it right since clear is tricky sometimes.

What is your concern?
I didn't realise clear coating a frame is a thing so just wanted to know if there's anything I should be concerned about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
if he used a 2K product it might be fine, but the problem i see here is that he almost surely used krylon clear spray paint from a hardware shelf, and that stuff..... sucks. it just plain sucks. it clouds, chips, ages badly... and it's pretty doggon unlikely you can get it off the bike without having to completely repaint..

so yea, it's a legit concern. not something i'd get myself into unless the price was very right
Thanks, contacting the seller...!
Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM

Assuming he didn't do anything really stupid like clear coat the bearings, it should be functionally perfectly fine. The frame won't fail because of a bad clear coat job. It's up to you whether the appearance bothers you. Personally, if I otherwise liked the frame, I wouldn't let the amateur clear coat stop me from buying it. Wouldn't go over well at a show, but when you're out on the road, no one will notice.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

This is what was used

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...1830/100176222

Price "feels" right provided clear coating isn't a big issue (given eBay fees and since I won't need to pay shipping). Thoughts on that welcome too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Assuming he didn't do anything really stupid like clear coat the bearings, it should be functionally perfectly fine. The frame won't fail because of a bad clear coat job. It's up to you whether the appearance bothers you. Personally, if I otherwise liked the frame, I wouldn't let the amateur clear coat stop me from buying it. Wouldn't go over well at a show, but when you're out on the road, no one will notice.
I'm able to go check it out personally, and if I do, I'll look out for this!
Old 03-03-2021, 11:53 AM

Seems odd to me to clear coat it. I’d inspect carefully to make sure nothing was touched up then clear coated over to help conceal any problems. I’ve seen that done before.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 PM

Clear coat

I have had a number of frames painted, repainted, generally, the painter clear coats the frame. As I understand it, the clear coat has the UV protection that the color does not. Also, pearls and other finishes are not durable enough without clear coat. So is it a thing? I think painting is a thing and its best left to professionals. One sure way to bugger a bike up is to use rattle cans to paint a bike (although there is a company that markets rattle cans just for this application).

If the paint does not look "shiny" then try a polish or buff the paint, if that does not improve the situation, its either learn to live with the finish, or find a painter.

All of this is my opinion, but yeah, clear coat is a thing
Old 03-03-2021, 12:44 PM
The B!

i suspect thats more or less the same stuff as the krylon clears.. ive cleared a couplefew bare carbon forks and at least one set of bare carbon rims with rattle can clear, and results have been mixed right off the bat - i never could figure out what caused cloudiness in the finish - probably temp and humidity, as i did the same process for all - chemically stripped the old finish off and sanded, or just sanded down to carbon if i couldnt chem strip, then finish sand, tack, apply coats according to directions. it always looks great at first, but then sometimes would cloud up on me and look like ****.

but even the ones that didnt cloud up, the finish will chip at the tamest provocation.

one thing you might consider is wet sanding and tacking the whole thing, then applying a 2k (two part) clear over the whole thing, existing clear coat and all. the 2k stuff is waaaaaay way way more durable, and is very similar to the professional enamels mixed and sprayed in booths. not quite the same, but almost as good.

or just ride it as is and accept youre going to get progressively expanding chipping from rocks or really anything hard that comes into contact with it. if chipping is acceptable at the price offered, then do that **** mang.

for clarity, in agreement with a post above, the clear isnt going to compromise the frame any structurally.. just will surely get ugly from use
Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 PM

It will be a huge job to remove that clear coat, sometime in the future. The only proper paint is 2-part urethane and that also requires proper prep.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:21 PM

Thanks all. I've decided against it. I don't get how somehow who pays thousands of dollars for a bike can spray some cheapo stuff on their bike because it wasn't "shiny" enough...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk