Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 05:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

Build: 2014 S-Works Crux - you pals wanna join the fun?

I just got a NOS 2014 S-Works Crux frameset yesterday. It's been sitting inside someone's storage for like 10+ years. I am building it up as we speak, you pals wanna join the fun?

Last edited by weisan; 03-01-2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:02 AM
ZhugeLiang

Hit the first road block

Why why why?....why is it every time I got stumped in a build it has to be some nutty job bottom bracket standard??!

I always try to build a bike up with whatever parts I have at hand and if that works out, I can usually finish a build within a day or two.

But here we got another BB standard that requires something special.
https://www.c-bear.com/en/blog/osbb-...ecialized-bike

According to Specialized website:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...r=149306-49780
BOTTOM BRACKET
OS integrated, CeramicSpeed sealed ceramic bearings

I want to use this crankset: SRAM Red 11 speed BB30 PF30 - short spindle

What do I need to make it work?

Last edited by weisan; 03-01-2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:30 AM
but not really

At least it doesn't have that very short lived weird rear end spacing/dish that specialized did for a year or two.

Imagine buying a 2024 frame in 2034 and trying to find the various proprietary parts that manufacturer's are using now?
Old 03-01-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
At least it doesn't have that very short lived weird rear end spacing/dish that specialized did for a year or two.

Imagine buying a 2024 frame in 2034 and trying to find the various proprietary parts that manufacturer's are using now?
What?

Like BSA bottom brackets?
Standard derailleur hangers?
Off the shelf headsets from wolf tooth, or cane creek?

Old 03-01-2024, 07:41 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Just use the BB30 bearings and you are good.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:55 AM

This is looking interesting, do you have the whole build planned out and ready to assemble or is it still in flux?
Old 03-01-2024, 08:10 AM

You may also want a BB30 wave washer to eliminate any difference in the spindle length and the bearing spacing. I have an older Crux with the OSBB, using an S-Works crankset, and I needed a wave washer to eliminate a bit of side to side play.

Edit: I see now your crankset has a preload ring, so shouldn't need the wave washer. Doh.

Last edited by tootall; 03-01-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:58 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Kppo pal, I know you will come through for me. Do you have a specific one in mind?

This is 46 x 61mm OSBB. Hambini has this to say about it:

https://www.hambini.com/specialized-...neering-guide/

This is a shortened version of PF30. It uses the same type of cups to encapsulate the bearings which then push into the bike frame. The bearings are usually 6806. it was designed for 30mm axles.

This is technically a poor standard because the bearing stance is very narrow. It lends itself to quite a lot of flex which would require significant material in the bike frame to regain the lost stiffness. OSBB in this guise has the narrowest stance of any modern BB standard.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM
ZhugeLiang

Internal Routing Galore

There are holes coming out of every corner, I am living in internal routing hell....

I have the routing tool but it was hardly ever used, I guess I will be doing a lot of practice soon...

Old 03-01-2024, 09:05 AM

I have one of these, bought off a local guy brand new as a warranty replacement in 2015. Its still rolling and I cant kill it. Its been great for mixed road/gravel rides - only real downside is that the max tire size is going to be ~38mm, on a 20mm internal rim and the internal cabling can be fussy. Just be patient and chase the cable paths with liners - its really only the chainstays that are a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Yes, this. I have found that the specialized BB30 shells are solid so you dont need anything special in there - enduro BB30 bearings will be fine here, no need for ceramics. I have gone through headsets faster than BB bearings on these things.

If you want to go with a GXP or Shimano crank, you can use the delrin adapters and these work fine, or the wheels mfg thread together BB's which also work fine.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:08 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
do you have the whole build planned out and ready to assemble

Yup.

Di2 11 speed - 11-34 cassette
Mavic allroad elite UST wheelset
Pathfinder Pro 38mm tubeless
Specialized Hoover Riser Bar 44cm
Ritchey seatpost
WTB Pure V saddle
SRAM Red crankset

And lastly, BB7 Avid mechanical disc brakes - please don't kill the messenger - I know for some of my pals here, this is junk but I have discovered with high compressionless cable, they worked and stopped fine.

The only parts missing and to be ordered:

BB30 bearings
Specialized Deraileur Hangar

Last edited by weisan; 03-01-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
And lastly, BB7 Avid mechanical disc brakes - please don't kill the messenger - I know for some of my pals here, this is junk but I have discovered with high compressionless cable, they worked and stopped fine.

The only parts missing and to be ordered:

BB30 bearings
Specialized Deraileur Hangar
Those are fine, really. I've had several different brakes on mine - bb7, spyre, yokozuna - they're all fine really. The yokozunas feel pretty ****ty after 5+ years and with no easy parts kit to rebuild I am putting a new set of bb7 sl calipers on when I service the bike soon. Compressionless housing and setup is key.

North Shore Billet does a derailleur hanger for these - a bit spendy but worth it, the specialized ones are apparently made of butter.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:18 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I have one of these, bought off a local guy brand new as a warranty replacement in 2015. Its still rolling and I cant kill it. Its been great for mixed road/gravel rides - only real downside is that the max tire size is going to be ~38mm, on a 20mm internal rim and the internal cabling can be fussy. Just be patient and chase the cable paths with liners - its really only the chainstays that are a hassle.

Yes, this. I have found that the specialized BB30 shells are solid so you dont need anything special in there - enduro BB30 bearings will be fine here, no need for ceramics. I have gone through headsets faster than BB bearings on these things.

If you want to go with a GXP or Shimano crank, you can use the delrin adapters and these work fine, or the wheels mfg thread together BB's which also work fine.
Thank RJ pal, I always appreciate you chiming in.

Tire clearance: I tested with 38mm Pathfinder - looks like it will be fine with using my favorite gravel tires 40mm Explor' MSO...or alternatively if I go with 650b wheel size, it can probably take 45mm+ tires.

Thank you for your tips on the BB. I am tempted to go the Shimano route just coz' I already got the outboard threaded BB and tons of shimano 24mm cranks lying around but then I will be forsaking the light as feather SRAM crank....

Old 03-01-2024, 09:21 AM

On my Specialized bikes with this BB standard, I always just used stock Sram BB30 bottom brackets and never had a problem. Maybe replaced 1 that saw lots of use and dirt. Felt like I was ahead versus using any sort of fancy bearings. https://www.backcountry.com/sram-bb3...a123cf0b25126e
Old 03-01-2024, 09:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
On my Specialized bikes with this BB standard, I always just used stock Sram BB30 bottom brackets and never had a problem. Maybe replaced 1 that saw lots of use and dirt. Felt like I was ahead versus using any sort of fancy bearings. https://www.backcountry.com/sram-bb3...a123cf0b25126e
Thanks Kona pal, is that the right size for this bike/bottom bracket (46mm)? It doesn't say on the page.

Last edited by weisan; 03-01-2024 at 09:30 AM.