Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
Sunshine

Commute bike pics- bikes to commute to work, stores, or whatever!

I rode to work today and realized I havent seen a dedicated commute bike thread on here.
Curious to see what people use to ride to work or errands and why the specific bike works best for that use.
Old bikes, folding bikes, ebikes, even recumbent bikes...if someone commutes on one.

I dont ride to work nearly as often as I wish I did. But when I do, it is just so nice and sets me in a different mood. My ride is between 7 and 11 miles each way, depending on which of the 4 good routes I take.

Bike-
- Black Mountain MonsterCross v4 that used to be my gravel frame. Most of the components were pulled from my old touring bike.
- 3x9 drivetrain with a 180mm Sakae crankset from the 80s, a Sora FD, an XT RD from the 90s, and some old Shimano bar end shifter.
- Current setup is a Swift Motherloaf bag sitting in a Soma Tanaka short height basket(Wald 139 size) zip tied to a Gorix rack that has been heavily modified with different stays and adjusted diving board tang.

Oddities-
- I put the 180mm cranks on just because I had em and wanted to see if I liked the difference. I dont really care one way or the other, so they have stayed. The bike is my least aggressive setup by far, but its also super comfortable.
- I have a 15" laptop to carry, so the larger basket and bag are useful. I do wish a smaller basket and bag were possible though.
- I used to commute with a single pannier on a rear rack. I like the current setup more, though the older setup was perfectly fine.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

My old commute was through the woods on trails and on dirt roads so it was my old Litespeed Unicoi MTB with a Rixen&Kaul handlebar bag on a Klickfix mount and a seatpost mounted rack. My shopping or go to the beach bike is the Big Dummy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 9.36.36 AM.jpg (150.1 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 9.37.41 AM.jpg (137.4 KB, 258 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
n - 1

What I commuted on today in RED.
My future commuter and bikepacker in BLUE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4193.jpg (73.2 KB, 248 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

This was my first NYC commuter beast. "The Pink Panther." Some jerk stole this bike, but I loved the darn thing. She later wore fenders, but I think this view really shows those pink tires:

When that one was stolen, I built this one up, seen in this photo in its natural habitat: waiting for the NYC ferry.

I work exclusively from home now, but the above bike is my "grocery-getter" and errand bike.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
What I commuted on today in RED.
My future commuter and bikepacker in BLUE.
Such a great illustration of how small the Brompton folds!
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Definitely in the front rack camp myself. I'm either carrying a laptop bag or a tripod and photo gear. Just built up a new commuter thanks to the recent post-COVID sales and sold my trusty VO Porteur Rack of 10+ years for an OMM Pizza Rack. Definitely a lateral move, but it's the only way to get a robust front rack on forks that don't have proper eyelets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240314_154040845-lo.jpg (149.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240229_204402287-lo.jpg (137.1 KB, 252 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Here’s a couple… one carries on the bike, another carries on the rider:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3760.jpg (148.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3761.jpg (147.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3566.jpg (144.7 KB, 242 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Back At It!

Nice!!

when I commuted a couple days a week in San Diego (about 23 miles one way), I just used a messenger bag as I was able to take in stuff on the days I drove and I had access to locker and shower at work.. plus, I was active duty and left my uniform at work (and had it cleaned at the base)..

I would have about a 13 mile commute now and and considering how to do it since I only work in office 2 days of a 4 day week (4/10s).. I'm a civilian now and would have to consider carrying "work clothes".. plus I start at 0630 and work until 1700, not a huge deal, but I'd have to get up pretty early and there is often a lot of fog here in the mornings and just sure I want to ride in dark fog on what is a busier road.. we'll see..
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Alexi’s mushroom hunter got the commuter treatment. Love this bike. by CW Sleasman, on Flickr

The Mushroom Hunter became the Commuter Hunter.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Brompton T-line. Creaks like crazy, but for the weight savings - I deal with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240429_175611_Gallery.jpg (68.1 KB, 200 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
mentholated

a 1972 schwinn paramount with gobs of clearance for a 32c. these werent made for 27” wheels, were they? a higher end bike would have 700c tubulars? its so comfy.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Depending on the errand and if the store will let me bring my bike inside or if I can see it clearly and the area is not shady, I ride my Speedvagen. Funniest thing I've stuffed in a jersey pocket are cooked lobsters.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

taken just off the route earlier today. I'm all in on ebikes for commuting! get a workout and get around quicker - commute is 10-16 miles each way depending on route.

ebike commuting (over riding my 'regular' bikes which I do less and less now) gives me back more time with my family. it's also just plain fun to mix it up with my other bikes and keep moving daily.

Last edited by zlin; Yesterday at 07:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Soma Van Ness

I ride this 2010's fixie fever dream out and about when I don't need to carry much. I used to ride a more sensible 90's Rockhopper with a Wald 139 rack, but this bike was given to me by my wife's uncle so I felt like I should use it instead.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Such a great illustration of how small the Brompton folds!
Smaller than the front wheel. And it’s a 26! 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
taken just off the route earlier today. I'm all in on ebikes for commuting! get a workout and get around quicker.

ebike commuting (over riding my 'regular' bikes which I do less and less now) gives me back more time with my family. it's also just plain fun to mix it up with my other bikes and keep moving daily.
If I had more than a 6 mile round trip commute, I’d be all in on an ebike!