Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 11:27 AM

Great thread - thanks for the book recommendations.

Always was intrigued by Joseph Campbell so giving The Power of Myth a read...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.24.54 AM.jpg (52.7 KB, 241 views)
Old 11-26-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Currently...

Six Frigates
The Epic History of the Founding of the
U. S. Navy
http://www2.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall06/005847.htm

Waiting in the wings:

Safe Democracy:
The Secret Wars of the CIA

http://www.ivanrdee.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/IRD/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=1566635748
I've got several books on the go: "The 1619 Project" by Nicole Hannah-Jones; "High on the Hog" by Jessica B. Harris; "We Are the Ocean" by Epeli Hau'Ofa; "Clearing the Plains" by James Daschuk; and "The Confounding Island: Jamaica and the Postcolonial Predicament" by Orlando Patterson. Chipping away at each one, a little at a time, between marking papers...
Old 11-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Normandy '44: D-Day and the Epic 77-Day Battle for France
James Holland

Old 12-18-2021, 07:29 PM

I am always reading a lot of things. Besides academic papers, I enjoy reading theory books related to my field (science education research) and books on wildfire and fire management.

The other day I decided to start re-reading one of my favorite cycling books, Need for the Bike by Fournel. I just love the writing style and can almost feel myself in the story. If you have not read this, you really must (though I suspect many here have). I have the Kindle version now, having passed my paper copy on to a great forum member (Butch) many years ago.

Bud
Old 01-12-2022, 08:48 AM

Just finished "Gunfight" by Ryan Busse who spent 25 years as sale vp at Kimber from their humble beginnings. Book looks at the ways the gun industry changed during that period and the social, economic and political influences thereon.

https://ryanbusseauthor.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0FC23C6-1D3B-405D-8CEC-CC925AC52D28_4_5005_c.jpeg (66.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:01 AM

Finished "Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir Of Depression" which I think was recommended here but maybe not. A good read, unfortunately relatable, very disheartening to learn midway through reading that the author, since publishing, had killed herself.

Now I'm reading The Marabou Stork Nightmares and like all Welsh's work it can be hard to understand the language at times but I'm getting sucked into the dreamlike storytelling... it helps that I mostly read it at 5:30AM when I awake and 9:00PM right before I drift off to sleep..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41Zx9N6R8hL.jpg (31.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:33 PM

Things have been kind of rough lately so I decided to spend some time with my old friends Aubrey and Maturin. Reading Master and Commander, #1 of the 20 part series. I’ve been through all of these maybe 4-5 times in the past 20 years.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:57 AM

Recorded book recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Read both of Jenny Lawson's books recently, Let's Pretend this Never Happened, and Furiously Happy. Both were literally LOL funny with some really insightful descriptions of daily living with mental illness. Highly recommended.

I just started Kids of Appetite by David Arnold. It's a YA story that my 13 year old daughter insisted that I read. She had me read Mosquitoland by the same author last year. It was good for YA fiction. I liked that all the characters had levels of moral ambiguity. I really enjoy reading books that she likes and discussing them with her. Anything to advance her love of reading.

Now if I could only get my 14 year old son to crack a book. I'm amazed and saddened by how little reading is required in high school compared to when I was growing up.
Browsing this *long* thread for some roadworthy (recorded) books. I just downloaded both Jenny Lawson books (from my local library), and am still looking for a couple more.

I had borrowed All Creatures Great and Small, which seems perfect for a five hour drive...but I pulled the trigger too early and now can't renew it!

What other recorded books do people recommend?

Thanks!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-07-2022, 05:07 PM

Recently finished this, and liked it enough to read her other books, "Purple Hibiscus" and "Half a Yellow Sun", as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg content.jpg (80.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 05:50 PM

Just finished We Don't Know Ourselves by Fintan O'Toole. A modern history of Ireland, from his birth in 1959 onward. Astounding book.

The review in the New Yorker

The review in the NY Times

And in the Guardian and the Atlantic
Old 06-07-2022, 08:03 PM

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
(The movie Bladerunner was based upon it).
Old 06-07-2022, 08:10 PM

A World Beneath the Sands: The Golden Age of Egyptology by Toby Wilkinson

A bit of non-fiction after reading:

The Candy House by Jennifer Egan (not as good as A Visit from the Goon Squad, last third really lagged except for one chapter)
French Braid by Anne Tyler (well-written, insightful family tale)
The Lioness by Chris Bohjalian (an enjoyable beach read, even though I wasn’t on the beach).
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 PM
what's a little rust?

Crying in H-Mart by Michelle Zauner—a 2-week read on ebook from the library
The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli—my current real book alternative, will last a lot longer than 2 weeks
Old 06-08-2022, 07:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Someone here -- or perhaps it was ATH -- mentioned Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow so I picked it up recently and got about 80 pages in before the missus and I started prepping for The Great Pandemic Road Trip Experiment. (In short, we drove across country and are spending a couple months living with my parents in Arizona.) Hoping to resume my reading this week.
I just want to mention that ~18 months later I finally finished reading ^^^that book. Ugh. Super slow going, not at all the engaging insight into consciousness I was hoping for. Do Not Recommend.

Now I'm reading through the vast pile of pro audio industry periodicals that has been collecting since the pandemic started >2 years ago. The only time I ever read magazines is on the train while commuting, and I haven't commuted since February or March 2020. So I've got a huge pile to wade through.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I just want to mention that ~18 months later I finally finished reading ^^^that book. Ugh. Super slow going, not at all the engaging insight into consciousness I was hoping for. Do Not Recommend.

Now I'm reading through the vast pile of pro audio industry periodicals that has been collecting since the pandemic started >2 years ago. The only time I ever read magazines is on the train while commuting, and I haven't commuted since February or March 2020. So I've got a huge pile to wade through.
Same feelings on the book.

BTW, Bob, have you read the three volume set "Does Speaker Wire Matter?"

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy