Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 11:31 AM

School me on Nespresso Machines

I've used an aeropress for years (currently on my fourth plunger)--other than the plunger wearing out, I've got no real complaints. I tend toward medium roasts from Ethiopia and Yemen. Until recently, I've been the only regular coffee drinker at our house.

However, my wife has started requesting a cup each morning, and we stayed at an air-bnb with a Nespresso machine this summer and she really liked the ease and quality of the crema.

After I found out you could grind your own beans with a re-usable stainless steel capsule, I started seriously considering one.

I'm looking for BF deals now, we like the small size and looks of the CitiZ model: https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/orde...ry-red-refresh

I know other manufacturers make nespresso machines too. I'm looking for recommendations. Looking to keep the purchase ~$200. Want a machine with a small footprint that is easy to clean and maintain. I'll also keep an Aeropress for travel and such.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:50 AM

I tried the re-usable Vertuo stainless steel capsule, didn't work at all. Total waste. Don't know about the steel capsule for the Original model.
But I love my Nespresso Vertuo. Capsules are expensive, but at least delivery is free > $35.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:08 PM

We've had a nespresso for years. My wife loves it and I am OK with it. The coffee is average, but that doesnt mean its bad.

The capsules are expensive, but you know that going in.

As for the stainless pods - the one my wife bought (to be more environmental) was crap. It worked in theory, but even with good coffee in the pod, it tasted watered down. The engineering just wasnt there.

To top it off, we forgot to remove it and ended up recycling it with the aluminum capsules! That added insult to injury .

All in all, I can say nespresso is bad. If I had hte guts to blow $1500 on a real espresso machine, I would say it is junk coffee, but as I cant do that, I concede that the coffee really is OK to drink.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:47 PM

Do you think your wife would be inclined to use an actual espresso machine?

We have a Breville Barista Express and it has been working fine for the last 3 years.

I didn’t expect my wife to enjoy making her own latte every morning. But as soon as she had one cup she has been making one for herself every day.

I find the price reasonable for an entry level machine.

However it is definitely not as convenient as the nespresso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tuxbailey; 11-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:52 PM

I have owned a Nespresso Pixie for years and have purchased a couple of CitiZ and an Essenza as gifts. The end results are really the same but I like the handle on the Pixie and the fact that the aluminum sides are made from recycled capsules. I rate Nespresso well ahead of Keurig K-Cups both in terms of taste and impact, free recycling bags with prepaid shipping to send the capsules back which get recycled and the grounds composted which gets the seal of approval from my environmentally sensitive wife. As far as price, nothing is free in this world and a double espresso is $1.40 in the morning in my kitchen. Out of curiousity, probably from a previous Nespresso thread on here I timed how long it takes in the morning from the time I flip on the light switch to the time I am leaving the kitchen enjoying my morning hit of caffeine with the machine, milk frother both cleaned and turned off at 3 minutes and 25 seconds. Speed and simplicity first thing in the morning is important to me.

If I want the absolute best espresso and have the time I will take a break and head down to my local coffee shop where they have superior everything from beans, to machines to people who know how to make a great shot and I will enjoy it but I know I am investing more time and in the end more money into that process then my very good, perfectly consistent and easy to use Nespresso.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:00 PM

I’m a recent convert. It’s good for what it is, especially if you don’t have a favorite, consistent coffee shop in your neighborhood.

I got hooked over the summer and am using a hand me down original (En80B?) will replace it when it dies with something similar. I’ve been through capsules by Starbucks, Peets and nespresso, and keep going back to the Nespresso Firenze Arpeggio (purple) caps.

Have not tried the DIY caps… seems to take away the convenience.

If you’re looking for the ceremony of making your own, or the fine nuances of a pro on commercial equipment you’ll be disappointed. If you routinely have a couple of shots a day and are stuck at home, you’ll be thrilled over the long haul.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:53 PM

They cost more, but look at Super Automatic espresso machines. I cut my teeth with one of these years ago. It produces coffee a million times better than the Nespresso.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/colle...chine-in-black

I have since invested in a real serious setup which produces amazing espresso.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:19 PM

I would advise you to buy the cheapest Nespresso machine that does what you want. They don't last.

My wife is the Nespresso user in the house and probably uses it four times each day. Despite such light use, we've through about six machines in the last 10 years. We normally get about 18 months out of one before it starts to die.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:22 PM

ESE pods

You can buy the Illy or other ESE pods for about $.50 per pod. The pods work in the cheap Gaggia and other machines like the one below:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/colle...roduct-details

You can spend a lot more and if you do use coffee you really need a good grinder which start at $150. I have a Gaggia machine and use the ESE pods.

Haven't used mine much but will get it back out soon.

Wholelattelove is a good place to work with on everything.

Alan
Old 11-26-2021, 02:22 PM

School me on Nespresso Machines

Nespresso, i would go original line, if i had to recommend one.
The good:
- convenience, convenience.
- great variety of capsules. Including other vendors, however, imo, the other brands are as ^not as^ good, usually, as nespresso. Peets is OK.
-used pods can be recycled via Nespresso’s provided return label, this applies to vertuo too.
-per cup price compared to *$s is reasonable

The bad;
-it is still expensive compared to regular coffee brewing.
-some flavors are just not as described, so ymmv
-special edition coffees are ridiculously priced, imo.

Ultimately, it is a coffee drink, not traditional coffee and not espresso either. So perhaps, visit a Nespresso Boutique or a store that may offer samples so you taste it before committing to the machine.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:43 PM

I have 2 Nespresso Pixies, which use the original cups. I keep one in the kitchen and one on my desk at the office so I don't have to get up to get my next caffeine fix.

They've both been going strong for about 5 years each.

I personally love the original ones. I think the more expensive Vertuo or whatever is a silly waste of money. The original is just fine.

I recommend only buying the strongest capsules. I buy 4 different kinds.

Look, it's not as good as some artisanal super-fussy espresso you'll get from a great coffee shop or your own $2,000 machine. But it's certainly way better than some of the awful espressos I've been served in restaurants. And it's light-years better than Keurig. Plus the capsules are recyclable right in your bin now in NYC.

I don't know how I'd live without mine! If you need a quick, unfussy, reliable jolt of caffeine that you can just grab and go whenever you need, then I think it's a no-brainer. Get in there.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM

Nespresso is a unique beverage. If you like that style coffee, the Nespresso machine is the best way to make it. If you’re unfamiliar with it, try and find a way to taste a Nespresso before you buy a machine.

If you’re looking for traditional espresso or drip-style coffee, I’d look at machines that specialize in making those beverages. Good espresso results can be had with the Breville/Sage machines, though they often end up becoming gateway drugs to more expensive machines and grinders.

As you’ve probably seen, it’s tough to go wrong with the Aeropress. Great drip-style coffee can also be made with Chemex and pour over.

James Hoffmann has shared some thorough (and lengthy) experiences with Nespresso. There’s always a bit of snobbery involved when researching coffee methods, but James tends to present the information in an accessible and entertaining manner.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:01 PM

I have owned both a Rancilio Silva and a Gaggia Baby. We used to use them with ESE pods and it was okay. We have switched to a couple Nespresso Citiz machines and at least for my wife and the convenience and lack of mess is worth it. Quality is about then same or better than ESE. Capsules are about 50 cents each via Amazon. I used Peets for a while but have switched to Illy as it tastes a bit better. Not as good as as Espresso in Italy but good enough.

We also tried Illy Iperesspresso but was unimpressed and did not like the plastic capsules. Keurig is borderline undrinkable.

I have had a number of high end fully automatic machines in the office and found results variable. I just ordered the fancier Creatista Breville machine, I don’t expect any real difference but we will see. It is “prettier”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 07:59 PM

I feel like, with the amount of work of dialing in your grind and packing a reusable capsule, you're 90% of the way to real espresso. I'd strongly encourage the extra 10%. I worked my way up to a Silvia via a La Pavoni rehab and a Gaggia classic rehab. I like Nespresso, but real espresso is better.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:28 PM

My cheap Gaggia Classic makes as good cappuccinos as my more expensive La Speziale machine. Just takes longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro