Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 11:31 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Beatles "Get Back" Peter Jackson anybody?

Part 1/3 dropped on DizziKnee_Plus this morning.

I think I read parts 2&3 will drop tomorrow and Sat. Which would be nice for the holiday weekend rather then a once a week droppage.

The trailer is actually useful, and not as infomercial like. So have a look if anyone here just might [in the off chance] be any kind of a Beatles fan.

Last edited by robt57; 11-25-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:39 AM
what's a little rust?

I want to see it, but I’m the only one in this family. So, I’ll wait until a new season of Mandalorian (or other Star Wars show) makes a re-subscription a must have.

From what I’ve read it looks like good content for multi-tasking rather than full attention for 8 hours.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:49 AM

I enjoy his body of work.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:24 PM
Everything is connected

I can’t wait to see it…whole family of Beatles fans at this house.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:48 PM

I'm thinking of waiting till Sunday to bing watch
Old 11-25-2021, 01:36 PM

About 3 hours for part 1

I saw part 1 this morning. Amazing how they fed off each other. No sheet music at all. Just a clip board with the lyrics and they just improvise. There are sub titles on some scenes as it was hard to make out what was said.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:05 PM

Always wonder about these releases waaaaay after everything else has been released. Kind of the opinion that if it was any good it would have been out of the archives before now. Think about Prince and his newly found music that made headlines recently and how that completely disappeared after people heard it. If you watch the Beatles' last movie...Let it Be...there's not much more to be said.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:28 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Is it 'Let it Be' or Get Back" brain farting here..
Old 11-25-2021, 05:32 PM
Byron

Let It Be film - 1970
Get Back film - 2021
Old 11-25-2021, 05:33 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Corrected title of thread....
Old 11-25-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
I want to see it, but I’m the only one in this family. So, I’ll wait until a new season of Mandalorian (or other Star Wars show) makes a re-subscription a must have.

From what I’ve read it looks like good content for multi-tasking rather than full attention for 8 hours.
Hawkeye drops this week too if you like the Marvel stuff.

I’m looking forward to both, but the Beatles more so.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:41 AM

Long time Beatle fan but not obsessive. I actually joined Disney Plus this month just for this show. Ep 1 really needed some more editing IMO. Even before it dropped I wondered how Jackson was going to get 6 hours out of it. Anyway; some thoughts:

Paul definitely appeared to be running the show. Poor George looked miserable and showed some lack of confidence. Ringo, well, he seems like a real sweetheart. John, he seemed to be having a bit of fun, disproving some of his old interviews about the sessions.

I've never really thought Yoko broke up the band but, wow, did she have the air of unearned confidence. I know John wanted her there but she shoehorned herself in the middle of a very intimate group. Doing her nails, reading mail and, and one point, "singing" into the mic. That voice!!! Notice when Linda and George's Krishnas were there a respectful distance was kept while the band worked.

After hearing all the options for a live show put forth you can understand why they just went up on the roof of the studio!

Also, amazing how really good songs came out of the very messy early attempts at working them out.

Tim
Old 11-26-2021, 07:29 AM

Paul said in a recent interview that after seeing this he has a much more positive opinion of the atmosphere surrounding the band during the period preceding the breakup, and that over the years it had likely been shaped by all the reporting and over the years emphasizing negativity and acrimony.

Speaking of Paul, there is another series on Hulu which is a series of interview discussions with Rick Rubin, along with song tracks to prompt things. I watched one episode. Some interesting stuff but did not engage me enough to watch more episodes. It was interesting to hear him recount how Sgt Peppers was a direct response to the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. This is well known but still. Brian Wilson on the other hand says that Pet Sounds was a direct response to Revolver, I think it was.
There was also a recent Terry Gross interview.

Finally, there is an excellent youtube video The Mystery Bass of While My Guitar Gently Weeps posted just a few weeks ago that drills down into the instrument and analysis of the part, not to mention who played it.

Last edited by marciero; 11-26-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:30 AM

Mostly through the first episode. Really enjoying it. I've never really researched the Beatles so I was surprised to hear them talk about how much of an impact Brian Epstein's death was.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:35 AM
what's a little rust?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-stop-the-show

Paul Remnick has, to my eye, picked a side in the Lennon-McCartney (or McCartney-Lennon) saga but it’s still a good read. It also reminded me of the role of Jann Wenner and others like him who amplified the human flaws in the band to serve their own definitions of good music and worthy musicians.