Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 08:21 AM

American Classic

Reboot starts with tires. Really low price tires, that if good is kind of amazing at $35 retail for tires.

https://www.amclassic.com/collections/gravel

Last edited by charliedid; 09-20-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:35 AM

I've already bought a set of their road tires. Mounted them and set them up tubeless, but haven't taken them for a ride yet.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:40 AM
Administrator

This is good. the price of good tires has quietly and steadily crept up to a little ridiculous. if you're super passionate about cycling expensive tires might be fine, but it's hard to tell a teenager that it'll cost them 200 bucks to replace their mtb tires with something good.

i hope they are excellent!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I've already bought a set of their road tires. Mounted them and set them up tubeless, but haven't taken them for a ride yet.

I guess I didn't look close and totally missed the other tires.

Nice
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Meh

Would love to hear more about these tires. Tire prices are indeed out of control - partially for that reason I switched to Specialized mountain bike tires and saved nearly $30 per tire vs Maxxis. I wish these AC tires came in a wider range of sizes, though - a lot of frames can fit 45, but not 50.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Would love to hear more about these tires. Tire prices are indeed out of control - partially for that reason I switched to Specialized mountain bike tires and saved nearly $30 per tire vs Maxxis. I wish these AC tires came in a wider range of sizes, though - a lot of frames can fit 45, but not 50.

Totally agree

Seems to be at least for now completely direct to consumer which explains much of if not all of the cost savings. I and many others like new/fresh tires I cannot lie.

Might be a very smart move.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Totally agree

Seems to be at least for now completely direct to consumer which explains much of if not all of the cost savings. I and many others like new/fresh tires I cannot lie.

Might be a very smart move.
Is it fair to call them direct to consumer when all their orders are fulfilled by Amazon?
Old 09-20-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Is it fair to call them direct to consumer when all their orders are fulfilled by Amazon?
Fair point.

Direct in that they are not (it seems) selling to or through the normal bicycle biz supply chain such as QBP, JBI etc. Amazon is acting as a fulfillment operation, still sold by AC
Old 09-20-2021, 11:02 AM

It is interesting that the first product of the "new" American Classic is tires when the original American Classic made just about everything except tires. Do we know who is behind the new American Classic? When American Classic shutdown in 2017, founder Bill Shook indicated he was interested in selling the brand. This CyclingTips article indicates that Shook is not directly involved with the new American Classic. It also says that the tires are made in a Taiwan in a factory owned by American Classic. Perhaps a Taiwan based tire/rubber company wanted to get into the bicycle business, and decided to launch their products under a "known" brand name?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It is interesting that the first product of the "new" American Classic is tires when the original American Classic made just about everything except tires. Do we know who is behind the new American Classic? When American Classic shutdown in 2017, founder Bill Shook indicated he was interested in selling the brand. This CyclingTips article indicates that Shook is not directly involved with the new American Classic. It also says that the tires are made in a Taiwan in a factory owned by American Classic. Perhaps a Taiwan based tire/rubber company wanted to get into the bicycle business, and decided to launch their products under a "known" brand name?
The tires themselves seem to most resemble Clement/Donnelly tires, which are also made in Taiwan. No idea if there's any ownership linkage.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
James Huang indicated somewhere else (maybe comments section of that article, maybe Instagram) that one of the former managers at old AC is running new AC, and occasionally consulting with Shook. So still in the "family".
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The tires themselves seem to most resemble Clement/Donnelly tires, which are also made in Taiwan. No idea if there's any ownership linkage.
It's also curious (in this day of globalization) that they are made in Taiwan, but only sold in the US. Maybe they are sold under a different brand label in other countries? Does the American Classic brand carry much weight in the rest of the world?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:57 AM

I just impulse bought a set of the Aggregate tires in the 700x40 size. Looking forward to trying them.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:06 PM

The 210gr Timekeeper road tires look interesting
available in 25&28 black or tan walls
Old 09-21-2021, 02:25 AM

I'm too far around the curve to think $35 tires are going to offer the performance I'm looking for, especially after seeing how much they weigh. More skus in the 700cx50 range is great, but almost 700 grams? Woof. The other sizes are similarly porky.

It is extremely interesting that a new brand with 8 new molds and something like 50 skus is able to just pop up overnight, connected direct with Amazon, selling for significantly below competitors. Hopefully some of these will hit Bicycle Rolling Resistance to get an idea of how they stack up.