Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
This is good information to have....
And yes, 11s as well(Ultrashift)...For those who say 11s Ultrashift ERGO parts are nowhere to be found. I buy assemblies and cannibalize for parts.

Powershift shift lever blades also..and some small bits like wee brass washers and cable guides.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? I have 2 drawers FULL of ERGO parts..8s, 9s, 10s, 11s.
I just ordered shift springs, some spring carriers, a couple of thumb buttons..all 10s stuff..from.....

Campagnolo NorthAmerica.

Whats' not available on the interweb does not the 'market' make.
Now that 3 people have responded, here’s the story: the shifting parts in my ergos wore out in the usual way. I trusted my LBS with the task of contacting Campagnolo North America. According to what the LBS told me, Campagnolo NA said that they didn’t have the parts (Centaur ergos) and didn’t know when or if they would have them again. I was invited to buy new shift levers.

I know now that I missed other options (Branford Bike would be a local shop not long after, you exist, etc) but at the time I was told I’d gone to the source and they said rebuilding was not an option. So …
Old 05-29-2021, 09:07 AM

Chainrings on my record 10 speed crank were worn and needed to be replaced. It was cheaper to buy a used chorus crankset with brand new chainrings than to source them independently. Although record chains and chorus bottom brackets seem plentiful.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:35 PM

Looking for chorus or record 10 speed compact CT crankset 170mm

Speaking of crazy prices- Anybody have a line on a 10 speed compact carbon crankset in square taper? Agree with past posts- love my Campy 10 speed too much to let it go and been on the hunt for a record or chorus carbon compact crankset in 170mm for a while...

Thanks,
Colnago52
Old 11-19-2021, 06:43 PM

Sold some of my 10-speed stuff a few years ago when I put 11 on a couple of bikes. Big mistake, and I’ve slowly bought back more 10 speed stuff.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:46 PM

Greedily rubbing my hands together like mr burns on the simpsons as I have a nice chorus set on my wife’s bike that will be repurposed on one of mine someday

Last edited by Tickdoc; 11-19-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:56 PM

Campy's pinnacle, imo/ime. Have eight (!) various levels (Centaur to Record) of 10S kit (including two Record carbon CT cranksets, and three Centaur alloy CT cranksets (2 ST, 1 UT), obscene money for those right now), survived me being almost homeless and will survive the market going bonkers for it. The feel, mechanics and aesthetics of 10S will never be repeated, imo.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 11-24-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago52 View Post
Speaking of crazy prices- Anybody have a line on a 10 speed compact carbon crankset in square taper? Agree with past posts- love my Campy 10 speed too much to let it go and been on the hunt for a record or chorus carbon compact crankset in 170mm for a while...

Thanks,
Colnago52
Square taper compacts were very short lived and don't turn up very often. You might consider this Power-Torque crank if the rings work for you.

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...mm-crk0110-548
Old 11-19-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
Campy's pinnacle, imo/ime. Have seven (!) various levels (Centaur to Record) of 10S kit (including two Record carbon CT cranksets, and three Centaur alloy CT cranksets (1 ST, 1 UT), obscene money for those right now), survived me being almost homeless and will survive the market going bonkers for it. The feel, mechanics and aesthetics of 10S will never be repeated, imo.
I agree. Doubt that there will ever be components to rival the combination of function, finish, cost, durability, and serviceability of Campagnolo in the ten speed era.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:01 AM

Ive got 10 speed chorus on my Strong. I like the 11 speed better on my Cervelo.. Am I one of the few?
Old 11-20-2021, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Ive got 10 speed chorus on my Strong. I like the 11 speed better on my Cervelo.. Am I one of the few?
IF the newer Gumby levers fit your hand, I think 11s, particularly the shifter guts, are a big plus. Unlike 10s shifter guts, which are getting harder and harder to find, 11s shifter innards are VERY robust, no shift springs, no spring carrier to break. I have seen rusted thumb button pivots, a few broken shift lever blades but nothing internal.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:13 AM
Everything is connected

If it’s a compact crank, I’ve noticed that even the 11-speed Power Torque cranks, which were at bargain basement prices 5 years or so ago are commanding near retail prices. 10-speed currently seems like the new Bitcoin.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:24 AM

I don’t regret selling two record 10 groups to fund a 12 speed group for my main bike. I really like the ergonomics and extra derailleur capacity. Shift feel is also still very Campagnolo.

It should be noted that I still have three all alloy 10 speed groups in the house. My wife’s bike has the elusive alloy UT compact cranks and alloy medium cage rear derailleur.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:45 PM

Bike deal

I got a recent bike with Record 10 speed Carbon CT crank, carbon record ct front mech and record carbon rear mech in short cage, have not used it yet, excellent condition
Old 11-20-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Now that 3 people have responded, here’s the story: the shifting parts in my ergos wore out in the usual way. I trusted my LBS with the task of contacting Campagnolo North America. According to what the LBS told me, Campagnolo NA said that they didn’t have the parts (Centaur ergos) and didn’t know when or if they would have them again. I was invited to buy new shift levers.

I know now that I missed other options (Branford Bike would be a local shop not long after, you exist, etc) but at the time I was told I’d gone to the source and they said rebuilding was not an option. So …
This sounds like a Campy USA thing. I contacted Marinoni in Quebec and they were able to build me a new set of Chorus 10 ergo levers using parts ordered directly from the old country.