Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
And, to stock parts for that kit so that it was actually as rebuildable as claimed. No parts available for 10 speed Ergos during a normal year, "just because," caused me to move on ...
You must be looking in the wrong places. I've never had a problem finding all the standard service parts (index springs and carriers, return springs, etc.), and they are still available today.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:31 AM

I just picked up a Colnago Master and I'm thinking of building it up with 9 speed, lol.

I love the way the ergo levers of the 9/10 speed era feel and I've got some 9 speed Ultegra wheels that I really like....
Old 05-27-2021, 11:53 AM

Lot of nostalgia for this era. No question Campagnolo 10-speed was a high water point for them. I had it and loved it. But I've moved on and haven't looked back and I don't understand the insane used market for it.

By any real measure, I much prefer the 11-speed from Shimano. If/when I get another Campagnolo groupset it will be their most modern stuff with as many gears as possible on that groupset. I've never been sorry for more gearing variety.

I'm brand agnostic at this point but when I first tried the Shimano Dura Ace 9000 on my bike I knew my days of Record/Chorus 10-speed were going to end. I sold the last of my 10-speed stuff in 2018 I think. Loved it but don't miss it.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:29 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
And, to stock parts for that kit so that it was actually as rebuildable as claimed. No parts available for 10 speed Ergos during a normal year, "just because," caused me to move on ...
oldpotatoe just rebuilt a pair of Record 10s levers for me and is getting them shipped back to me today. So I would say "available" if you know who to ask.

Last edited by jpritchet74; 05-27-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:43 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Lot of nostalgia for this era. No question Campagnolo 10-speed was a high water point for them. I had it and loved it. But I've moved on and haven't looked back and I don't understand the insane used market for it. ....
Nostalgia aside, I paid top $$ for a compact crank cuz I could either pay $300 for a part that I could bolt on, or $700 for new BB, crankset, plus labor that may-or-may-not be successful removing an old square taper BB from my frame. So I just bit the bullet and paid.....

Maybe my 9100 just needs some loving from a better mechanic than me (low bar) to impress me....

Like I said, the Campy 10sp just "feels" better...push the button or move the lever, and I can feel the chain moving and doing it's thing.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Like I said, the Campy 10sp just "feels" better...push the button or move the lever, and I can feel the chain moving and doing it's thing.
I didn't feel that Record 12s shifted any "better" than Record 10s.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Everything is connected

I have a couple of Campag Record 10-speed long cage rear derailleurs in the parts stash and I've never declared them as an asset with the IRS. I also don't complain about prices for old parts anymore, especially after I read that somebody recently paid $761,000 for the "Charlie bit by finger" YouTube video.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I didn't feel that Record 12s shifted any "better" than Record 10s.
Waiting to make that comparison myself someday soon, but I can tell you none of my 11sp campy stuff shifts as smooth as my 10 sp campy stuff, and that all of my campy stuff shifts better than any of my Japanese or American stuff, with the exception of Suntour Superbe pro.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
And rising energy costs are the single biggest driver...probably due to geopolitical instability in the mideast, and maybe in part due to the ****up in Texas a couple of months ago.
Interestingly, I bought some shoes on closeout at REI and they put the stuff in a paper bag like usual. Guy hands me the bag and apologizes saying the supplier for their paper bag handles is in Texas and that snow/ice shutdown has left them unable to get bags with handles for the time being. Oh the humanity
Old 05-28-2021, 12:18 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Expect more of that in the future. They are the finest components ever made for a racing bicycle....People recognize that
I bought them new when I last time did boutique a new bike, have used them ever since. They function with all my 8/9/10 speed campy wheelsets I acquired over time (too many really) and to some extent even with contemporary shimano, and still work flawlessly. Never saw a reason to "upgrade".
Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Really? I have 2 drawers FULL of ERGO parts..8s, 9s, 10s, 11s.
I just ordered shift springs, some spring carriers, a couple of thumb buttons..all 10s stuff..from.....

Campagnolo NorthAmerica.

Whats' not available on the interweb does not the 'market' make.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:07 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? I have 2 drawers FULL of ERGO parts..8s, 9s, 10s, 11s.
I just ordered shift springs, some spring carriers, a couple of thumb buttons..all 10s stuff..from.....

Campagnolo NorthAmerica.

Whats' not available on the interweb does not the 'market' make.
This is good information to have....
Old 05-28-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have one of these in VGC sitting here and some Chorus 10spd flat bar shifters. Maybe its time to put them on eBay?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 speed chorus well used. Was gonna put 11 speed on it when I go to 12 speed.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:39 PM

@Ozz I think the same can be said for Campagnolo in general. I have only experienced 12 speed Campag but when pitted against Shimano 11 speed, it's incredibly tactile. I personally like that but I can understand why some don't. It seems as though it's Shimano's goal is to get mechanical groupsets to feel as close to Di2 as possible, in that it 'just works' and I think they've achieved that. It's quiet, shifts quickly and easily and works flawlessly every single time. I could throw way more at my Shimano mechanical group than I can Campag. Shift when out of the saddle going uphill at the front AND the back? Sure thing. No problem says Shimano. My Campagnolo would laugh at me if I tried the same thing I reckon. But my Campag also goes KADUNK KADUNK KADUNK every time it shifts and I like that a lot.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 05-28-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
@Ozz I think the same can be said for Campagnolo in general. I have only experienced 12 speed Campag but when pitted against Shimano 11 speed, it's incredibly tactile. I personally like that but I can understand why some don't. It seems as though it's Shimano's goal is to get mechanical groupsets to feel as close to Di2 as possible, in that it 'just works' and I think they've achieved that. It's quiet, shifts quickly and easily and works flawlessly every single time. I could throw way more at my Shimano mechanical group than I can Campag. Shift when out of the saddle going uphill at the front AND the back? Sure thing. No problem says Shimano. My Campagnolo would laugh at me if I tried the same thing I reckon. But my Campag also goes KADUNK KADUNK KADUNK every time it shifts and I like that a lot.
You're experiences have been different than mine. I agree that Campagnolo mechanical groups are more tactile. But on the other hand, it can do things the other groupsets can't. Unlike the other mechanical groups, it can do multiple shifts in either direction. And compared to electronic shifting, it is faster, particularly for multi-sprocket shifts - with Campagnolo mechanical, I can shift from the smallest sprocket to the largest in 1.8 seconds, and from the largest sprocket to the smallest in just 1.2 seconds (I've timed it). And yes, it shifts when going uphill out of the saddle in front and the rear.

As far as Shimano "always just working", I find that Shimano mechanical shifters don't cooperate when I try to do rapid down shifting (to smaller srockets). If push the down shift lever in rapid succession, the second push will often fail to "catch", resulting in the lever swinging its full travel and back with no shift happening.