Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
Hi - I have EKAR on my 650B x38mm Rando bike, but am contemplating building a new bike based around the Rene Here 650B x55 Untanum Ridge Tires. This bike would also have fenders.

I'm pretty sure with Normal 142 Rear hub and EKAR crank I will probably have issues with the Chain hitting Fender/Tire.

What is the latest with EKAR compatible Cranks/chainrings? Did White Industries ever do anything?

What about a rear boost hub that can take an N3W free hub? I would be doing a custom steel front and using a SON SL hub so that could be boost as well.

Could I use EKAR crank with Boost rear? I may want to go with different crank anyways for lower gearing - but just curious if it might work.

Thanks

Current EKAR Rando Bike below - BiLam, SON SL, Berhtoud sans decaluer front bag.
Coming back to this.

I'm trying to go lower in the front than 38.

I have an FSA SL-K 46-30 Crank sitting in the garage. It takes DM rings.

Does anyone know if I can swap in this ring that is Shimano 12S compatible and it might be good to go?

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/t...t-megatooth-1x

Any idea of what this would do to the Driveline?

I'm not familiar with DM rings - are they pretty swappable?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2021, 01:15 PM

The only aftermarket Ekar-compatible chainrings I’ve seen are from Ratio: https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...-bolt-110-bcd/

One can also take a file to existing chainrings and make them compatible, but that option doesn’t attract me that much.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:30 PM

2x setup: Chorus Front, Ekar Rear

I want to build up a 2x setup given my mixte terrain here.

Has anyone here tried the following:
Chorus 12 Shifter + FD + Chorus crankset 48-32
Ekar Rear Shifter + Ekar Rear Der + Ekar cassette

...to get to a 2x13 setup? Seems like it could work as I'm not trying to make the two systems interchange? Question: will the rear Der have enough cage to handle the big ring shift? Of course I won't run criss cross my chainrings and cogs, i.e., big/big, small/small.

Another thought is 2x11 (apologies if this part is off topic, I'll shift if others say so). Any experience here?
Chorus 11 shifters, FD, RD + Wolf creek Roadlink, cable disc calipers, new chorus 48-32 cranks, or just a compact 50/34. I have most of these parts already sitting around.
Cassette would be a SRAM XD 10-42 11speed (with a spacer)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:32 AM

the ekar RD has a clutch. I don't think it's compatible with any FD.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:54 AM

The Ekar geometry, similar to the SRAM 1x derailleurs, will not work at all with a 2x system.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:24 PM

I can't search through this whole thread, but is there a post mount option for Ekar? Or, adapters that'll take it from flat mount to post mount (aesthetically)?
Old 12-13-2021, 07:40 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I can't search through this whole thread, but is there a post mount option for Ekar? Or, adapters that'll take it from flat mount to post mount (aesthetically)?
You'll probably find the optimal solution is to use Hope brake calipers.
Or if your bike will work with these adaptors, then the flat mount Campy calipers will work https://www.assolutions.ca/shop/adap...ith-160-rotor/
Old 12-19-2021, 05:19 PM

When using the N3W retrofit kit, why does it require replacement of the axle and not simply a Freehub body swap?

Btw, have Ekar on my wife's Mosaic now and it is an amazing group. Low-weight, perfect functionality, great looks, mechanical.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
When using the N3W retrofit kit, why does it require replacement of the axle and not simply a Freehub body swap?
I believe it has to do with the bearing lands on the axle. If you look at a Campagnolo axle, you'll see that it has a larger diameter where the bearings sit on the axle (the bearing lands). The N3W freehub body is narrower, with the right side bearing more inboard. This requires an axle with the right side bearing land more inboard as well.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:40 PM

Does anyone ever get an occasional stuck thumb shift?

For example, I'm in 4th smallest cog and shift up 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th cog.
Then I thumbshift down to 7th. OK.
Then i thumbshift down to 6th, but the thumb shifter feels stuck and won't execute the shift down. What's going on?

I can cure this problem by shifting back up 1 followed by 2 thumbshifts down - but this is tedious and probably not what should happen.

Any suggestions?

Instagram
Old 01-05-2022, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

Then i thumbshift down to 6th, but the thumb shifter feels stuck and won't execute the shift down. What's going on?

I can cure this problem by shifting back up 1 followed by 2 thumbshifts down - but this is tedious and probably not what should happen.

Any suggestions?
on former generations the cutout for the hood would shift a little and foul the thumb button. can you rule that out?
Old 01-05-2022, 03:04 PM

Does anyone know if an Ekar group lighter than a full SRAM AXS group, either Red or Force?
Old 01-05-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

Any suggestions?
There are two adjustments you can make to fix this. First, there is a tiny hole under the hood on the outside of the shifter. It takes a 2mm (I think) Allen. Turn it clockwise in 1/4-1/2 turn increments. This is NOT in the instructions or any manual I've seen. The campy rep told me about it. He said some shifters went out with an improper setting here.

Before you do this, make sure the inner shift lever isn't getting caught on the brake lever. There is another small hole behind the lever that you need to turn clockwise to bring it in. This is described in the instructions/manual that comes with the shifters.

Doing these fixed my issue.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:46 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Does anyone know if an Ekar group lighter than a full SRAM AXS group, either Red or Force?
All the recent groupset weights (Shimano 12 not entered yet)
https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/202...ght-comparison

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 01-05-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydraper View Post
There are two adjustments you can make to fix this. First, there is a tiny hole under the hood on the outside of the shifter. It takes a 2mm (I think) Allen. Turn it clockwise in 1/4-1/2 turn increments. This is NOT in the instructions or any manual I've seen. The campy rep told me about it. He said some shifters went out with an improper setting here.

Before you do this, make sure the inner shift lever isn't getting caught on the brake lever. There is another small hole behind the lever that you need to turn clockwise to bring it in. This is described in the instructions/manual that comes with the shifters.

Doing these fixed my issue.
Thanks! Have experienced this - will try!