Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 10-29-2021, 10:37 AM

I'm still not seeing this without some significant hand work. If the milling cutter is a constant diameter cylinder, how does it cut a miter that fits a tapered tube?

I'm easily confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Snip
he would be mitering his tubes on a mill and making angle adjustments to compensate for the tapered tube.

dave
Old 10-29-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm still not seeing this without some significant hand work. If the milling cutter is a constant diameter cylinder, how does it cut a miter that fits a tapered tube?

I'm easily confused...
I understand. I think that you are thinking of it correctly.

In the end the difference in radius at the top and bottom of the miter isn't that great and most builders will just change the angle and that will be close enough.

dave
Old 11-03-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Hey - thanks for the question.

That could be a tough one if the frame is stainless. There's very few builders still making anything with canti studs so many shops have discontinued making them even in steel. I personally do not know of any place one can get stainless canti studs and having a very small number of them cut would be very spendy.

I don't think I've put canti studs on a bike in a number of years at this point.

dave
Do you have an opinion on the suitability of centerpull brakes such as those offered by Rene Herse and Pauls? I see that Rene Herse offers stainless studs for them. I have no experience with this type of brake, don’t know much about them.

Last edited by Gwerziou; 11-04-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Do you have an opinion on the suitability of centerpull brakes such as those offered by Rene Herse and Pauls? I see that Rene Herse offers stainless studs for them. I have no experience with this type of brake, don’t know much about them.
I think that they work fine. Some can lack headroom over the center of the tire when used with a modern wide rim but they seem to function well.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of building bikes with a special stud in a special location that will only work with a specific brake. It just means that the bike will only be able to run that brake for it's life and if the brake is discontinued or you can't get parts for it you can be stuck. This is the main reason i like a mid-reach caliper over a stud mounted brake.

I hope that makes sense.

dave
Old 11-09-2021, 12:43 PM

Some bright and shiny things for a gray November morning. Silver fillets joining Reynolds and KVA stainless tubes, Velo Orange Brakes and Rene Herse 38’s mounted to HED wheels. I’m building myself my first new bike in too many years and I wanted to go with the lightest, smoothest and most simple build I could while still fitting a 38 mm tire…and this means rim brakes mounted to an all stainless fork which will be perfect for the dirt road rides I love so much here in South West Montana.

No, I can’t race muddy cross on it (wasn’t planning to) and it’s not ideal for rocky single track (not in the cards) but it will kick ass on dirt roads, smoothish trails and on the pavement to get to and from the dirt. A go-fast and light all road machine for sure. A new generation of the MRB (Montana Road Bike).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2696.jpg (62.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2692.jpg (52.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2677.jpg (68.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:58 PM

Woah

Gorgeous.

May I ask about the KVA, anything different there? I thought you used all Reynolds tubing.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclick View Post
Gorgeous.

May I ask about the KVA, anything different there? I thought you used all Reynolds tubing.
I typically do. Reynolds has had supply chain issues so I've been testing some KVA stuff. On this build the chainstays and head tube are KVA and so far I like working with it. It will be fun getting it out onto the dirt road.

dave
Old 11-09-2021, 01:26 PM

Wow, plenty of room to spare. Any chance you have a front shot? Is this your standard road crown?

I mounted a pair of RH Barlows last year that measured 39 out of the bag and 40 a month later. My previous Compass Barlows measured 37 after years of seasoning, unfortunately the RHs were too close for comfort.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:32 PM

Looks great Dave! excited to see the final build
Old 11-09-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Wow, plenty of room to spare. Any chance you have a front shot? Is this your standard road crown?

I mounted a pair of RH Barlows last year that measured 39 out of the bag and 40 a month later. My previous Compass Barlows measured 37 after years of seasoning, unfortunately the RHs were too close for comfort.
It's a wider crown with a similar shape. These tires measure 39 when mounted to a wide HED rim. They are mounted tubeless.

I don't have straight-on from the front shot but you can see here how much room there is. I optimized the room by very carefully setting the fork length to have the pads be 1mm from the bottom of the slot.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2634.jpg (53.4 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2653.jpg (52.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:42 PM

another stunning bike Dave.well done as always.
couldnt resist commenting on that cool wire holder for the caliper.never seen that before.so simple but a great little idea.
can you take credit for that or has it been used before?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:26 PM
NJ>TN>PDX...

Quote:
Some bright and shiny things for a gray November morning. Silver fillets joining Reynolds and KVA stainless tubes,

Squirrel!!!

Damn it!
Old 11-09-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3759 View Post
another stunning bike Dave.well done as always.
couldnt resist commenting on that cool wire holder for the caliper.never seen that before.so simple but a great little idea.
can you take credit for that or has it been used before?
The wire is brass brazing rod and I think I first did this while working at Serotta. I had been using a very short section of cable but it frayed and was a PITA and then the piece of scrap rod on the bench spoke to me and I've been doing this ever since...I'm guessing nearly 30 years now.

I works great for mocking up clearances and never frays!

dave
Old 11-10-2021, 07:36 AM

Looks fantastic and hugely functional with all that clearance and being made from stainless. Look forward to seeing it all put together. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2021, 10:35 AM

Hi Dave -

A question based off a thread awhile back here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=253242&page=2

I’ve often seen bigger guys (such as yourself and myself) on steel bikes with 1 1/8 head tubes but rarely on Ti bikes with standard 1 1/8 head tubes. Why is that? Is that because (as you seem to suggest) that, for bigger riders, Ti has to be “overbuilt” in order to be stiffer? I really do like the classic aesthetics of a standard 1 1/8 (particularly on a rim brake bike) better.

Thanks for your time.