Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 04:55 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
So Dave, have you made a decision?

I ordered a pair of the Volt liners. Believe it or not, this is for use in my car - for some reason (medical issue?) if I'm just sitting in the car it takes an eternity for my hands to warm up.

I've been thinking of using a pair of my 12V motorcycle gloves, but that would be overkill, and I didn't want to have to mess around with the wires, so I went with the battery-powered ones.
Louis - I ordered both the Sealskinz cycling gloves and the eWool liner (which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow from Quebec), both size medium, my normal size and the size their charts indicated too.

Here’s the thing on sizing: several comments on the Sealskinz page said the gloves run small and one needs to size up, some saying up by two sizes! But if they’re too tight, my wife is awaiting. She wears gloves one size smaller. But sizing caveat - suggest anyone here read the comments first.

I’m curious to hear impressions of the Volt liners, how well they work, how good the quality looks.

Dave, whose hands were numb simply in his kitchen this early morning while feeding his sweet old dog so the possibility of hand-comfort during cold bike rides is kinda exciting
Old 11-25-2021, 06:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zj_...ist=WL&index=2
this showed up in YouTube yesterday
Old 11-25-2021, 06:26 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Here’s the thing on sizing: several comments on the Sealskinz page said the gloves run small and one needs to size up, some saying up by two sizes!
I've also found that sizing for online glove purchases can be a nightmare. Practically every thread of clothing I own is L, including gloves, but about half the time when I measure my palm I find that according to the company's guidelines I should be a M. So I go ahead and with reservations I order the M. And of course when they arrive, I find that sure enough Medium is too small, so I have to return them for a Large. That happened just a few weeks for some rowing gloves.

When I receive the Volts I'll try to remember to post any significant observations I might have.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:28 AM

Yesterday riding in 39 degree w/20mph wind covered up with my baclava, stretch goretex, booties and Assos gloves. Here comes by woman, probably 65 riding bare hands. I feel so wimpy...
Old 11-25-2021, 06:49 AM

This is a less bulky Sunwill glove which looks more appropriate for cycling. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H891W9C...1ZQ&th=1&psc=1

Tim
Old 11-25-2021, 08:21 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Yesterday riding in 39 degree w/20mph wind covered up with my baclava, stretch goretex, booties and Assos gloves. Here comes by woman, probably 65 riding bare hands. I feel so wimpy...
Ya know, just like the saddle might be the most subjective component on a bike - my comfort is your big chafe and vice versa - body warmth, and especially extremity warmth, is equally subjective.

Then again, that bare-handed woman might be into kink like pain from numb fingers.

The main question, Steve, may not be about her hands; instead, did she pass you at speed?
Old 11-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I use them as liners. You can use them as gloves but I would be concern about their durability using them that way. I wear a pair of gore tex windstopper gloves over them . It is an excellent combo. I really like them because they cover beyond your wrist and they don't get boiling hot.

You can wash them bc you can remove the battery packs.

This is key to warm hands imo.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:00 AM

I’ve found the only thing that has worked for me in the New England winters have been barmitts.

This is after literally years of trying everything else: weird glove combos, “protecting the core” etc. same issue with my feet, but Hottronics solved that.

Has anyone made the jump from Barmitts / Pogies to electric gloves? Would like to hear your experience.

Last edited by BobbyJones; 11-26-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Two wheels good

The Sealskinz are on sale but of course out of stock in all but XL.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The vest is a thin fleece vest. So I wear it zipped up under a light jacket or without a jacket or unzipped riding up hills. For descents I wear it heated under a light jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Louis - I ordered both the Sealskinz cycling gloves and the eWool liner (which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow from Quebec), both size medium, my normal size and the size their charts indicated too.

Here’s the thing on sizing: several comments on the Sealskinz page said the gloves run small and one needs to size up, some saying up by two sizes! But if they’re too tight, my wife is awaiting. She wears gloves one size smaller. But sizing caveat - suggest anyone here read the comments first.

I’m curious to hear impressions of the Volt liners, how well they work, how good the quality looks.

Dave, whose hands were numb simply in his kitchen this early morning while feeding his sweet old dog so the possibility of hand-comfort during cold bike rides is kinda exciting
I just returned two sets of Sealskinz. I measured medium (9”). The medium was way too small and I couldn’t even get them on. So I ordered a set in large. While I could get them on, they were too tight and I could not comfortably bend my hand around my bars. I reached out to Sealskinz and was told they will not break in or stretch, so they went back too. I’m now SOL because no one (including Sealskinz) has XLs in stock. I’m still looking for another option.

These gloves from Racer look good, but they aren’t available in the US and the cost of shipping and duties likely would make them prohibitively expensive. https://www.racergloves.com/en/heate...ng-gloves.html.

I want to stay with a cycling-specific gloves, as I just had carpal tunnel surgery in one of my hands and I need to have some padding under the heel of my hand.

My sense is that all the batteries and heating elements on all of these gloves are sourced from the same manufacturer.

On edit, I ordered a pair of the Racer e-glove 4 heated cycling gloves.

Last edited by djg21; 01-02-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
This is a less bulky Sunwill glove which looks more appropriate for cycling. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H891W9C...1ZQ&th=1&psc=1

Tim
Well, I tried a pair and sent them right back. I could feel cold air through every seam! I could not tell if the heater was working until I turned it off. Plus, they were really stiff. Total waste for cycling IMO.

Tim
Old 01-02-2022, 04:15 PM

Spent a hour and five minutes out today with an avg temp of 14 f. Just used a set of Manzella hi vis hatchback gloves with a thermasilk glove liner. With the Mitten cover used today the hands were fine the whole ride. I find that keeping the wrists well insulated makes a big difference to keeping your hands warm.

Gloves like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Manzella-Mens...54389472&psc=1

I wore heavy gloves for years and just wound up with wet, cold hands.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:37 PM

Volt heated gloves

40 degrees and my hands are frozen on the bike. Have tried lobster claw mitts with polypropylene liners, ski mittens with mitten liners, nothing works. (Not easy shifting or breaking with thick ski mittens!) So desperate people do desperate things. Took the recommendation of a Paceline post and spent the $160. on the Volt heated gloves. For me they're a game changer!! They work great, are comfortable, battery packs are well placed and unobtrusive and the gloves are well made. I highly recommend them for those with incurable cold hands.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:08 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordieax View Post
40 degrees and my hands are frozen on the bike. Have tried lobster claw mitts with polypropylene liners, ski mittens with mitten liners, nothing works. (Not easy shifting or breaking with thick ski mittens!) So desperate people do desperate things. Took the recommendation of a Paceline post and spent the $160. on the Volt heated gloves. For me they're a game changer!! They work great, are comfortable, battery packs are well placed and unobtrusive and the gloves are well made. I highly recommend them for those with incurable cold hands.
That's great news. Which model of Volt gloves did you get?

Dave, the OP who will be posting his own over-buying summary soon
Old 01-05-2022, 01:07 PM

I got the Volt Forstie II.