Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 PM

where do you live: Bellingham,WA
Explanation of your handle: Iam retired military my job was a diesel mechanic and one of the engines is a Cummins 903.
occupation: The best job in the world, School Bus Driver,lots of time off.
favorite bike: My Match built Hampsten the bike just disapears under you.
what is in your stable: Hampsten, Waterford RS12 753 from 1998 now a fix gear, 29er single speed steel mountain bike.
fastest speed on a road bike: 59mph comming down saddle road which seperates Mona Kea and Mona Loa on the Big Island.
How many miles on road bike last year: 2000 I think, maybe, I took my computer off a couple years ago and haven't really worried about since.
make up and answer a question: Do I prefere up hills or down hills? It is strange but as I get older I find I enjoy going up hill more than flying down hill with reckless abandon.
biggest lie: that wasen't to tough of a climb
something fun: Actually this may sound odd , but my job, it really is fun driving kids around on a school bus it keeps one young at heart and not have to take life so seriously.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM

* real name, Matt
* where do you live? Northern New Jersey
* explanation of your handle Reference to the Ti Legend...and the 'Boi' is a youthful indulgence
* explanation of your avatar My All Time Favorite Movie.
* age (general or specific) Forty Three
* occupation Art Teacher.....Former Corporate Sales Dude
* favorite bike Of Course...the Legend Ti....
* what's in your stable? An Old Rudge Sport....Minty. A Gary Fisher Sugar...Sweet. And a Legend Ti Serotta....;8)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? About 40....Downhill....My neighborhood
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not enough.

* picture of yourself or your ride? See Below
* make up and answer at least one additional question.Why do you ride? It really clears my head and lungs.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told Pleading the fifth there. No need to 'overshare'
* and, something fun.I have a longboarding hobby....on concrete...or water....or snow.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Go Hokies

* real name, if you like: Tim
* where do you live?: Southwest Virginia
* explanation of your handle: I used to run a lot, but now I just bike
* explanation of your avatar: I go to Virginia Tech and it's the old hokie bird
* age (general or specific): 25
* favorite bike: Cannondale Cyclocross bike with Sram
* what's in your stable?: Salsa Campeon, Cannondale CXTJ, Leader Time Trial bike
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?: don't know, probably down Mountain Lake
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year?: don't know, about 550 hours worth
* picture of yourself or your ride?: Going up and back down Mountain Lake
* make up and answer at least one additional question: One of my goals in 2009 is to upgrade to Cat 1 on the road, it'll be tough but I think I've got the engine for it if I keep training consistently.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I told a girl I was an astronaut.
* and, something fun: I really like Nutella and pretzel rods together.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM

* real name, if you like: Greg
* where do you live?: Southeastern PA
* explanation of your handle: Road rider on the east coast (although now cx and mtb as well)
* explanation of your avatar: none yet
* age (general or specific): 38
* favorite bike: Moots Psychlo-X
* what's in your stable?: Moots Compact, Moots Psychlo-X, Moots Mooto-X YBB
* fastest speed on a road bike? 50+ down the main road in Stowe, VT
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year?: 4,000+
* picture of yourself or your ride?: See below
* make up and answer at least one additional question: Why do I like to ride? It is 3-4 hours of freedom from the rest of the world, and I get to pick where I go and at what pace!
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: No really, I will still respect you tomorrow...
* and, something fun: Before becoming a cyclist I was an avid golf club builder

Last edited by EastCoastRoadie; 02-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM

real name, if you like Wayne
* where do you live? southern MD, some hills, lots of wind
* explanation of your handle: I remember a character in a movie called "Cool Breeze" so I made up my own.
* explanation of your avatar: none
* age (general or specific): 47
* favorite bike: Yamaguchi sloping S3
* what's in your stable? Yama, Della Santa and Calfee Luna Tri
* fastest speed on a road bike? 40ish going down Little Cottonwood Canyon in UT
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? not enough (1-2K)
* picture of yourself or your ride?
* biggest lie: "this is my last frame, promise"
* something fun: watching my kid grow up
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySmooth
BigDaddySmooth,
Thank you for serving our country! Without people like you, we would not be the country that we are.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Crazy Chris

Name: Chris. The Crazy part came from scout camp near Copake, NY way back in the last century.

Avatar: Don't anymore since I quit smoking. Actually, I consider my computer skills to be a joke.

Reside: In Outer Durango, CO, for the last 34 years, long before it received the Bicycle Friendly City designation.

Age: 71. I had a heart "episode" in 1997 with angioplasty and stents installed. As a vegetarian who exercised and hadn't smoked in years I received no lectures on changing life style.

Occupation: Retired technical publications writer for the Federal Government. Before that, a graduate student and former college instructor who tired of Freshman English and tiresome colleagues.

Bicycles: A 1991 Merckx Team Forum, now painted Molteni orange. A Bridgestone MBZip converted to a road bike because I continued crashing on the mountain bike version. A 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, my primary bike because I don't want to wear out the Merckx.

Favorite Rides: Anywhere from my house. What goes up must come down. What goes down must come up.

Fastest Ride: Down Hesperus Hill west of Durango with a tailwind--55 mph. Could have been faster, but I was afraid to look.

Mileage: Last year, 5800. A few years ago I had over 8000 miles 3 years' running. Became too much of a chore.

Cross Training: I keep meaning to take up running/race (?) walking, but don't seem to care. Used to run and even ran seven marathons, including Boston in 1974, but too many people I know have had replacement surgery, so....

I do enjoy the forum. Please keep informing me.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:53 PM

* real name, if you like: Spencer
* where do you live? Ventura, CA
* explanation of your handle: I was teaching a Tech. Lit. class years ago, showing students how to set up an e-mail account and the name stuck.
* explanation of your avatar: N/A
* age (general or specific) 44
* favorite bike: Look 585
* what's in your stable? LOOK 585, Merckx MX Leader x 2, Merckx Corsa Extra
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? High 30's to low 40's.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4500-5000
* picture of yourself or your ride? Need some new pictures
* make up and answer at least one additional question.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told?
* and, something fun. .
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM

time to quit lurking...

* real name (if you like)? Braden

* where do you live? currently in NYC (originally from Kansas, lived in Saratoga Springs for a bit, Chicago and SF, and most recently Geneva, Switzerland)

* explanation of your handle? my email address (I'm so lame)

* explanation of your avatar? none (somehow, I'm too lazy to get one)

* age (general or specific)? later-mid thirties

* occupation? Corporate Strategy (used to be a consultant)

* favorite bike? probably the Serotta 20th Anniversary CRL -- love clean, but sculpted lugs (all the bikes at the NAHBS have become so gorgeous in the last years, though)

* what's in your stable? NOS Serotta 20th Anniversary #7, Serotta Attack, Look 595, WTB Titanium Phoenix, Steve Potts Cross Country Racer, Retrotec custom road, Klein attitude rigid, Fat Chance Fat Ti (1994), Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Fat chance Wicked Lite, Ted Wojcik Yo Teddy (disc), IF Deluxe, IF Crown Jewel, Ibis Mojo (steel), Sycip Unleaded, Funk Comp Pro, Calfee Bamboo 29-er, Johnny Cycles fixie, Canondale Taurine, Bridgestone XO-2, Bridgestone XO-3, and a Dahon Cadenza (a decent, inexpenve full-size folding bike). Everything gets ridden, but haven't built the Serotta yet - may have to go on the wall

* what's missing? Rivendell All-Rounder (753), Chris Chance Road, Ibis Ti Mojo, Serotta T-Max/ATX... and oh yeah... (don't hesitate to drop me a line in case you've got one of these for sale...)

* past bikes? Serotta CRL, Steelman CycloCross, Ti-Fat (sold in a very weak moment ), Merlin Extralite, John Hollands custom XO-1/Allrounder, BMC AlpenChallenge-02, Trek 7000, Schwinn Predator, Schwinn Mag Scrambler, bananna bike, and an awsome little red Schwinn 16" wheel non-pneumatic cantilever-frame style bike on which I taught all my friends to ride... oh the memories

* fastest speed on a road bike? 60ish going down from the Krimmler Waterfalls in Austria on a fully loaded XO-2 I think - I coasted for about 45 minutes -- did 54 off-road once -- thought I was going to die, and then this guy passed me -- made me feel loads better

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? you mean out of town trave? maybe 4-5 days per week -- oh, you mean on the bike, right er, uh... maybe 1k (perhaps I'm more of a collector than a cyclist???)

* picture of yourself or your ride? here are a few...

* biggest lie? "if I could just find this one part/frame/bike... I'd finally be able to ride..."

* something fun? Monty Python Cow Catapult Deluxe Set -- far fewer stranger toys may exist than this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monty cow catapult.jpg (49.6 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by bdavis999; 08-12-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: slightly less lurking without truly over-indulging in the dialogue (?)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
One pill makes you larger

* real name, if you like: Eric
* where do you live?: San Francisco, CA
* explanation of your handle: Combination of a nickname "Chaka" from "Chaka the Monkey Boy" from Land of the Lost o of Road and "train" from the fact that I like to get on the front of a paceline and pull everyone along
* explanation of your avatar: puts a smile on my face
* age (general or specific): 42
* favorite bike: Look 585
* what's in your stable?: Look 585, '96 Serrota CSI, '05 Gunnar Crosshairs, currently unbuilt '05 Serrota CIII custom frame, Specialized Epic mtn bike.
* Fastest speed on a road bike? Not sure...probably about 50mph
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year?: ~3,000
* picture of yourself or your ride?: pics never load right for me :/
* make up and answer at least one additional question: * What type of riding do I like?: road bike on rolling terrain and hills/mountains. Golden Gate Bridge > Muir Beach > Stinson Beach > up Panoramic Hwy > screaming back down to Mill Valley = heaven
* and, something fun: have wasted countless fun hours on games like World of Warcraft
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
extremely tall

* where do you live? Southwestern Vermont. Uphill, with a headwind.
* explanation of your handle: Echelons are bikes. I make 'em.
* explanation of your avatar: Minimalist
* age (general or specific) thirty nine
* occupation: Full time marketing consultant/writer, part-time framebuilder
* favorite bike: good parents don't play favorites
* what's in your stable? Echelon road, Echelon cross, IF Deluxe, Woodrup fixie, Mercian touring
* fastest speed on a road bike? hmmm. Probably 60mph, on the kancamagus, many years ago.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Embarrasingly few.
* picture of yourself or your ride?
* which is your most attractive quality, looks or humility? Ummm....
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? We can't see each other any more--I'm moving. (ran into her a month later...lesson learned.)
* and, something fun. Riding the trans-labrador highway on motorcycles last fall...enough gravel road to last a lifetime!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Classics Fan

* real name, if you like Matt
* where do you live? Hanover, NH
* explanation of your handle Got my MBA from Tuck School of Business
* explanation of your avatar N/A
* age (general or specific) 30
* occupation Currently: Research Fellow, Will be looking for work starting in July
* favorite bike I want an Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? ~50 mph,
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2,500
* picture of yourself or your ride? I'll see what I can find.
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is going to add 3 grams to my riding weight in June? My new wedding ring.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told Can't think of one at the moment, too damn honest.
* and, something fun. Hopefully my wedding gift from my new bride will have Serotta written all over it.

Matt
Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 PM

* real name, if you like KR
* where do you live? Colorado / France
* explanation of your handle Old Clint Eastwood movie
* explanation of your avatar N/A
* age (general or specific) 40
* occupation Currently: Sales
* favorite bike I want something interesting
* fastest speed on a road bike? 50 mph, Independence Pass
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1500
* picture of yourself or your ride? see above, or perhaps below. . .

Last edited by JohnHemlock; 04-11-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 PM

* where do you live? West Seneca, NY (Just outside Buffalo, NY)
* explanation of your handle: Years ago I wanted to start building my own frames and was going to call them Fwish Frames. Kinda Crazy! Never did it.
* explanation of your avatar: Tubing set in my Serotta Tri
* favorite bike: Always been a Serotta Colorado or Masi 3V
* what's in your stable? Bianchi Veloce; Santana Arriva Tandem, Serotta Colorado Tri, Stowe Tri and a GT Single Speed Mountain Bike.
* fastest speed on a road bike? 46 while doing a century ride in Pendleton, NY
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1,000
* picture of yourself or your ride? Will do.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: Told my wife I was a professional race car driver for Steve Millen when in reality I was autocrossing my Alfa Romeo Spider.
* and, something fun: The first trip my father and I took together in our Alfa Romeo to Limerock, CT for an Alfa Romeo Convention. We truly bonded that week.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Rich, I, too, was at the Alfa Romeo Nationals at Limerock with my son! Came in from Illinois to attend the fun. My son learned to love Alfas from his dad and raced vintage Alfas in Illinois and Michigan. Cars included a '74 GTV coupe, a '68 Auto Delta tuned spyder, an '82 GTV 6 cyl. coupe. He continues to race in Illinois to this day and still owns a '72 GTV "track only' coupe as well as a Rover powered Lotus.

Your note really brought back fond memories.

Don