Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Vendor

About time. I’d assume no problems running it in an 11 spd setup? I’ve been eyeing the Praxis M30 subcompact. I’ll probably end up with the Praxis anyway since the Campy one is likely to be $$$$. Still, it’s nice to see a major player come in with a subcompact.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:08 PM

If 1 jumps off the bridge they all will so I expect Subcompact to be available from Shimano and Sram shortly after campy announces.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
If 1 jumps off the bridge they all will so I expect Subcompact to be available from Shimano and Sram shortly after campy announces.
At least with their new 12s, SRAM's got 50-37, 48-35 and 46-33t.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Good for you campag, finally start to listen to the people.

Now get us a clutch RD
Thought the new rear ders were clutch.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Forward the Foundation

Now convince Campy that a 13-32 is a nice cassette.
Old guys don't go much past 30mph in the flats.

Sugino has their new OX2-901D cranks, just think you can
choose chain rings, just like you choose stem length.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Thanks for putting put out the intel, Peter.

I know you said this was a niche kinda thing. But it does look like that little niche is growing. Campagnolo is wise to get in on the growth area. Euro gravel is fertile.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 PM

Sometimes Campagnolo is pathetic. I made an inquiry some time ago about including 57mm reach calipers in their product range. They responded by saying, "no, no, no, we are a road racing component manufacturer. We don't make touring components." And now they step forward with their proverbial tail between their legs.

They need a significant dope-slap. The sport of cycling is fluid, and is changing quickly. Make components that are relevant.

Last edited by merckx; 03-23-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Sometimes Campagnolo is pathetic.
Campagnolo lost its way in the early 1990s. When the brand finally realized this, it lost its way forever by trying to go toe to toe with its competitors. Leaders lead, they don't follow. Sadly, after Tullio died, the suits in Vicenza forgot this.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Campagnolo lost its way in the early 1990s. When the brand finally realized this, it lost its way forever by trying to go toe to toe with its competitors. Leaders lead, they don't follow. Sadly, after Tullio died, the suits in Vicenza forgot this.
I agree with all of this, but I would put the apocalypse at 1984.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:44 PM

Nice indeed
Old 03-23-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
nailed it
Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
not true at all, campy brought 11 speed out first and have come out with some nice stuff way after early 1990s. They still make really good groups and some say, some of the best wheels.

Quote:
Sometimes Campagnolo is pathetic. I made an inquiry some time ago about including 57mm reach calipers in their product range. They responded by saying, "no, no, no, we are a road racing component manufacturer. We don't make touring components." And now they step forward with their proverbial tail between their legs.

They need a significant dope-slap. The sport of cycling is fluid, and is changing quickly. Make components that are relevant.
lets be honest, they would sell like 10 mid reach calipers, really would not be worth for them. Subcompact has a lot more demand and I could see it being used in racing. Don't get me wrong, I do think campy is pathetic sometimes but I am not surprised they are not interested in releasing products that are not going to sell
Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Especially with a 12sd cassette, they should have gone to 34t.
I don't gamble, but I'm pretty comfortable betting there will be an 11-34 Chorus cassette that you can mate to a 32-48 crankset. If a 32-34 isn't small enough, the hill is too steep to be riding up anyway.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:

So a few years ago the problem was that they weren't willing to look at products that weren't for road racing and now the problem is that they are making them?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
So a few years ago the problem was that they weren't willing to look at products that weren't for road racing and now the problem is that they are making them?
Funny though that even the pro's bikes today are using pie-plate cassettes.

Campag used only a 13t top cog on many of their cassettes, so it's not like they always go for the tallest gearing.

If they are two teeth behind the competition on max cog size, it's not likely a deal-breaker for their traditional customers(?).