Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 08:03 PM

Took my 14 year old son to the school district sports physical last weekend. He's 6'2" and 188 pounds with no fat on him and even then he got the BMI talk about how he's only a few pounds below overweight and he needs to keep his eye on it. I'm 6'2" and 230 with absolutely no way of ever weighing less than 195 lbs until my decaying corpse reaches that weight and I get the bmi talk every year at my physical. Sometimes averages aren't really averages.

On a bike I'm more of a rouleur and best for hammering rolling hills into a headwind with hopefully a slight downward tilt. Drafting off the 5'6" 130 pound guys doesn't really work.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:11 PM

Close to 210 right now, a hair under 6’. Down from a peak of 240 about 3.5 years ago.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM

6' tall. Former lean 210 lb. hockey player. Met this girl 30 years ago who was serious about cycling. Traded in the skates for a bike. Now 170 lbs. at summer racing weight. Still riding with the same cycling girl after 28+ years of marriage!

Greg
Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
This is like the Big Bike PSA thread, expecting to see 64s and 66s but presented with predominantly 58s and 59s.

Clicked to see who's north of 250 and everyone's lighter than I was as a teenager.

Currently an out of shape 235 at 6' 5". Was a very out of shape, all time high of 250# late last year after 9 months off the bike dealing with health issues. Heading to a fit 220# Sept. goal (lose 30# of fat and gain 15 of muscle).
I feel your pain on both fronts man. As of this morning, I was in that north club, but mind you, I'm leaner now than I've been in the past 15 years or so except for about 8 months back in '15 from around March to November where I was in the low 230s and was really strong on my bike.

This comes after playing collegiate ice hockey, tearing both ACLs and having surgery 11months apart during that time. I started college at 6'4" and 210lbs. I graduated at 235, and have only seen less than that for short periods of time over the past decade. I haven't been under 200# since I was 17.

I've been as high as 265-270, and was completely out of shape. My lady comments on how skinny I am now, but she's seen me at some of those high points. It's been lots of effort in the gym lifting heavy, better diet, and riding when I can that has helped in my situation. The saddle time isn't there, but I can pick things up and put them down way more easily than even 6 months ago.

I've been asked about a goal weight, and I don't know that anything less than 225# would feel right. Maybe, but i don't think it would be sustainable.

Everyone's journey and perception of where they are at is different. We all struggle, and we all have a different ending point and measure of success.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 PM

I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart. My peak was 348 about a month ago. My goal, long term, is 220. I think cycling has helped me from even worse numbers and will be the instrument of my physical health's redemption.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 PM

6 foot 2 , 220 pounds. I was 175 for a short time 15 years ago. That was cool, sometimes I think about trying to get lighter but I guess I don't car that much because I havn't done **** about it.

I'm at max Rapha, XXL jerseys and 36 rando shorts. I have quit rapha so not sure what I will get next, got plenty of reserves for a couple years so not worried about it.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 05-31-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 PM

5' 9" 208#.

Wants to get back to under 190...
Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
Took my 14 year old son to the school district sports physical last weekend. He's 6'2" and 188 pounds with no fat on him and even then he got the BMI talk about how he's only a few pounds below overweight and he needs to keep his eye on it. I'm 6'2" and 230 with absolutely no way of ever weighing less than 195 lbs until my decaying corpse reaches that weight and I get the bmi talk every year at my physical. Sometimes averages aren't really averages.

On a bike I'm more of a rouleur and best for hammering rolling hills into a headwind with hopefully a slight downward tilt. Drafting off the 5'6" 130 pound guys doesn't really work.
BMI is a bunch of bull. It does not take into account your frame. Slightly built people are at a distinct advantage. But my shoulder joints are 47cm wide. I have 235 pounds of lean body mass and I do NOT float in fresh water well enough to breath.
Oh yeah, I'm down to 275 now and 6'0"
Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
BMI is a bunch of bull. It does not take into account your frame. Slightly built people are at a distinct advantage. But my shoulder joints are 47cm wide. I have 235 pounds of lean body mass and I do NOT float in fresh water well enough to breath.
When I was in the best shape of my life, at 5'10" and 179 lbs., I had a biometric screening at work and was told that according to my BMI measurement, I was overweight.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWhale View Post
I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart. My peak was 348 about a month ago. My goal, long term, is 220. I think cycling has helped me from even worse numbers and will be the instrument of my physical health's redemption.
RoadWhale,

One pedal revolution at a time and you'll meet your goal. If that fails you at any time we've got your back as best we can. Let's work to change that handle (if you want).
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
RoadWhale,

One pedal revolution at a time and you'll meet your goal. If that fails you at any time we've got your back as best we can. Let's work to change that handle (if you want).
Great post, and I'll second that thought. Bravo.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
We are very wide and muscular. I got down to 196 lbs right after I came back from the 350 mile iditasport race in '96 and everyone that didn't know me thought I had cancer. The people that did know me said I needed to eat more since I looked frail. My cycling buddies were freaked out because I literally had no fat on my body.

I went through only 7 days of extreme calorie hardship. Can't imagine if that was my life.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
RoadWhale,

This is one of the best, most supportive posts I have ever seen on this topic, period. You are a hero.

(I was where RW was once and am now about half that, so I know whereof I speak).

So, thank you from my past and current self and all who struggle. One revolution at a time.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart.
Hey man I'm a similar boat. I am 6'2" and 230 lbs, I recently was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and told I can't cycle the way I was used to. Don't know how I can keep from ballooning up in weight without my weekly 200 miles or so. I'd like to be younger.

Good luck to your endeavors.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Your post came through right before my flight took off, but I echo what those below have said.

One of my best buddies from college is 6'5" and was 425# at his heaviest. Dedication, discipline, and hard work got him down to 235 at his lightest. Just the other day he sent me a bunch of links to bikes he's been looking at over in Sweden. He's excited to add cycling to his options for exercise.

It's late and has been a long day, but keep up the effort. You'll get there, and there will be a good portion of this board pulling for you to reach your goals.

Quote:
RoadWhale,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Great post, and I'll second that thought. Bravo.